Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Similar to this...

Anyone tried removing the front passenger seat to create a long sleeping surface on the passenger side? You would just put stuff behind the driver side. Seems interesting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 5,000 mile roundtrip coming up and plan to make a plank down the passenger side, level with the dash. Just recline the right front seat back to clear it. My only question is if it will block the mirror while driving.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You may cause some diagnostic error codes if you remove the seat because of the airbags in the seat backs. There may also be an occupancy sensor in the seat bottom that is part of the SRS.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,321 Posts
You may cause some diagnostic error codes if you remove the seat because of the airbags in the seat backs. There may also be an occupancy sensor in the seat bottom that is part of the SRS.
Right!
You could hack those seat connectors with a resistor for the airbags and a jumper for the seat occupant sensor.
But that is tricky territory....

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
Right!
You could hack those seat connectors with a resistor for the airbags and a jumper for the seat occupant sensor.
But that is tricky territory....
Tricky is the key word, I don’t know about GM but other brands sometimes require an specific tool to reset the airbag warning light, not always tough

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
86 Posts
I saw your post and it brought back a different memory. My late Italian grandfather was an early purchaser of the VW Beatle when they were first sold in the US. My late grandmother never learned to drive a car in her entire life. The front passenger seat on the car was removed so his tool boxes had some place to go besides just the front as he was an electrician his entire life. Grandma always rode in the back seat. The only time we saw the VW with the front passenger seat installed was when Grandpa would pile 5 grandkids into the VW and take us all to Disneyland. And when he bought a Saab when they were first introduced to the US, he also removed the passenger seat in that car.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
145 Posts
I’m not an auto professional, but it seems to me that it is no longer realistic to view them as (sort of) inert lumps (I mean like a PTO farm implement) you can tinker with on your own and customize freely as a rugged individualist. I’m talking about your (and mine, behind you at 65 mph) safety.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts