Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the center screen shroud? I don't really like the super glossy look since it's such a fingerprint magnet, so I bought a matte black vinyl wrap to wrap it.

I tried to stick my dash trim removal tool into the gaps (there is no gap, the tolerances are super low) with no luck. I have a tiny flat head screwdriver, but I don't want to risk damaging the plastic if I'm trying to pop it out at the spot. I'm just not sure if the whole trim piece is held in by clips or not.

Was thinking the white trim area can might also need to be removed first to possibly gain access to a screw in the bottom portion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found this:

But this seems to suggest the controls for the HVAC and screen are connected to the screen shroud and it's all one-piece??

Most trim pieces in the dash that I've encountered in the past when I needed to remove it to install a new headunit or something were all held in with clips. Hopefully that's the case with the Bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same frustration. In looking at the diagram posted by Jonstor, it looks like the white accent trim needs to be removed in order to access two screws holding the radio head unit and black glossy surround in place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, without providing any sort of warranty, but looking at the steps and unpacking each of them...

1 - Using a flat bladed plastic trim tool, release the plastic retaining tabs of the Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover- Right Side (2 in diagram below)

2 - Remove the instrument Panel Bolt (1 in Diagram below)
3 - Using a flat bladed plastic trim tool, release the plastic retaining tabs of the Instrument Panel Trim Pad - Right Side (2 in diagram below )

4 - MAYBE remove the instrument panel outer air outlet and the side window defogger outlet grille. (not sure if you need to do this or not)
5 - Remove Instrument Panel Bolts (1 in Diagram below)
6 - Remove Instrument Panel Trim Plate Assembly (2 in Diagram below) at Instrument Panel
7 - Disconnect the electrical connectors.

8 - Remove Hazard Warning Switch (1 in Diagram below) at Instrument Panel Trim Plate
9 - Remove Instrument Panel Center Accessory Function Switch (2 in Diagram below) at Instrument Panel Trim Plate
10 - Remove Driver Information Display (3 in Diagram below) at Instrument Panel Trim Plate via the screws
11 - Vinyl wrap part #4 in Diagram below

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, without providing any sort of warranty, but looking at the steps and unpacking each of them...
Appreciate that guide. Is that from the USB service manual? Been trying to find it in some slightly shady corners of the interwebs to no avail. 😇

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently ordered the service manual on DVD from
$25 , it appears to be the real thing. Haven't used it extensively

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just ordered that. Asked for the download version but haven't heard back from the seller.

Struggled to remove the trim. The scre is underneath a secondary panel I've yet to manage to figure out how to remove without destroying it. The white trim is very fragile and even using my softer "non-marring" trim tools I definitely marred it. Don't want to risk breaking stuff since it's a lease. I'll give it another shot in a bit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for that. I wonder if the seller will waive the shipping fee for the download version.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For posterities sake after my second attempt at removing this stupid thing I'm giving up. Looks like you have to remove all of the A pillar trim to get to that one screw. In 20 years of car ownership if I wanted to remove a simple bezel like this you just yanked the bezel itself out no problem even in the over engineered German cars. But noooooooooo they just had to make this one overcomplicated. I even tried just removing the thin white glossy piece and that wasn't enough not to mention that piece seems to be glued in places and the tabs break extremely easily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts