Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to share my experience with you about our road trip this past weekend. We decided to take our first real long distance trip on our Bolt EV that we bought a couple of months ago. So far, we've only driven it to work and back, and then on errands during the weekends. I won't bore you with the details of most of the trip; instead, I will tell the story of the penultimate leg...223 miles without charging.

We arrived in Reno, NV and met up with a friend of mine for lunch. I managed to find a parking structure with free L2 charging (thank you plugshare). When we returned to the car around 230pm, it had just finished charging to 100%. The GOM read just over 200 miles, so I decided to go ahead and plan for a stop in Roseville or Vacaville on the return route. I also knew that there was significant downhill involved, but didn't know how much regen it would effect, so I decided to play it by ear.

Turns out, the 40 mile downhill on the West side of the Sierras is pretty significant! I believe I regenerated at least 20 miles with no cost to the mileage on the GOM display. Half way to the Bay Area, I decided to keep pushing on without stopping. We planned on a dinner stop in Pleasanton, and there was a DCFC at the parking lot where we were going to. Waze gave a mileage that was JUST under the GOM minimum number (via I5/205/580, the longer route, due to traffic on I80/680). We're talking about a floating estimate between 12 and 3 miles! Yeah, I was sweating bullets by the time we got within 10 miles of our destination! I believe the GOM read 10 miles when we finally plugged it into an EVgo L2 charger at our destination (the only DCFC was occupied by a Leaf that had gotten there 2 seconds before us).

Yeah, I'm never doing that again. ? It's definitely worth stopping at a DCFC even for 15 mins, to avoid a freakout in the car, and sweaty palms for a straight 10 miles. But check out that downhill though!! :LOL:

Thanks for reading.

Edit: re uploaded images

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well done! The Bolt does very well on long rolling downhills (less well on uphills of any sort). I did a similar trip in reverse, from Santa Clara to South Lake Tahoe two weeks ago, and wound up using 57kwh for 226 miles. But I cheated and stopped at a DCFC on the way. Happily unlike many other routes, that one has pretty good DCFC coverage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good report and you're right, it's just simply better to stop and get some juice and enjoy the rest of the ride. Now, Eric 1% Way is used to that. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
When we returned to the car around 2:30 pm, it had just finished charging to 100%. The GOM read just over 200 miles...the GOM read 10 miles when we finally plugged it into an EVgo L2 charger at our destination
Looking at the image provided, I am going to assume this is a 2017 Bolt with 48,813 miles on the clock? Can you tell us if it is set to "hilltop?" If not, you have about 9.7% battery degradation.

223.2mi/4.3 = 51.9 kWh
10mi/4.3 = 2.3 kWh
51.9 + 2.3 = 54.2 kWh usable

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the image provided, I am going to assume this is a 2017 Bolt with 48,813 miles on the clock? Can you tell us if it is set to "hilltop?" If not, you have about 9.7% battery degradation.

223.2mi/4.3 = 51.9 kWh
10mi/4.3 = 2.3 kWh
51.9 + 2.3 = 54.2 kWh usable
That may just be the case. Hilltop was disabled, so it was at 100% reported capacity. Although I've seen that GOM go up and down throughout the past 2 months. I think the GOM was expecting me to use the heater more (which I didn't, at all on this leg of the trip). The last time I plugged an OBD2 reader on the car (just after I bought it back in September), it reported just over 59 kWh capacity. Not sure how accurate that is. I'm also not using the factory tires. I understand this is still within the tolerance for the battery warranty?

Well done! The Bolt does very well on long rolling downhills (less well on uphills of any sort). I did a similar trip in reverse, from Santa Clara to South Lake Tahoe two weeks ago, and wound up using 57kwh for 226 miles. But I cheated and stopped at a DCFC on the way. Happily unlike many other routes, that one has pretty good DCFC coverage.
Thanks! I think you'd have to stop if going eastbound...there's no downhill section. We took US50 to South Lake on Friday, and had to stop in El Dorado Hills for a quick charge before finishing the day with about 50 miles left in the tank at our destination near Heavenly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more photos from our trip:

Charging at the Raley's in South Lake

Reno Riverwalk

Bowling stadium (?) in Reno

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Hilltop was disabled, so it was at 100% reported capacity

The last time I plugged an OBD2 reader on the car (just after I bought it back in September), it reported just over 59 kWh capacity. Not sure how accurate that is. I'm also not using the factory tires. I understand this is still within the tolerance for the battery warranty?
GOM readings and tire efficiency have no effect on the capacity calculations. It is what it is. By my understanding, warranty replacement should kick in at 36 kWh usable.

I notice the myChevrolet app said you stopped with 4% remaining. This means the 51.9 kWh you used was 96% of usable, which gives a total of 54.06 kWh. This suggests, to me, the algorithm is consistent right to the bottom.

As for OBD II capacity readings. I have seen ours bounce around from 56.2 kWh to 60.0 kWh, and everything in between, multiple times. Unless it changes by 10 kWh I won't be paying any attention to it.

We bought the Bolt hoping the car would still be at 80% capacity at 100K miles. Your results suggest that should certainly be possible. As long as we can do beautiful trips like yours, without burning gas, I will be happy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We bought the Bolt hoping the car would still be at 80% capacity at 100K miles. Your results suggest that should certainly be possible. As long as we can do beautiful trips like yours, without burning gas, I will be happy.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with what we got. Car runs great, very smooth driving, surprisingly comfy, looks almost brand new, and I'm not burning gas. All for about 50% of the price of a new one. Not complaining. (y)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
193 Posts
Such a beautiful drive. Sacramento Bolt owner here and I’m always pleased with how many chargers are nearby and along the 50/80 for trips like this!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Such a beautiful drive. Sacramento Bolt owner here and I’m always pleased with how many chargers are nearby and along the 50/80 for trips like this!
Yeah the DtA system (plus the new EA stops) really works well for this route. I routinely make trips to Coloma, and just recently made a trip on my Bolt EV. Will be doing it a lot more now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts