Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Searched and didn't find any consolidated source on people's reimbursement experience and timelines with gm when opting for a rental or loaner. I'll start.

9/10 - picked up a standard suv rental from enterprise via Costco car rental. Daily rate is $38
9/14 - submitted rental contract and gas receipt #1 for reimbursement
9/17 - submitted gas receipt #2
9/23 - submitted gas receipt #3
9/30 - submitted gas receipt #4

·
Registered
51 Posts
More interested on when they actually pay after you submit for reimbursement. I had a chat with ev concierge yesterday and they said that payment will be made AFTER the repairs have been completed on the recall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer told me they're going to handle the rental. The only things I'll be submitting are gas receipts when I pick up my Bolt with a new battery pack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer told me they're going to handle the rental. The only things I'll be submitting are gas receipts when I pick up my Bolt with a new battery pack.
So is your Bolt parked at the dealer now awaiting the fix, "50 feet away from other cars"? And where is this dealer anyway, just curious? Because I'm not too enthused about continuing to drive my 2019 anymore, but I need something to drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So is your Bolt parked at the dealer now awaiting the fix, "50 feet away from other cars"? And where is this dealer anyway, just curious? Because I'm not too enthused about continuing to drive my 2019 anymore, but I need something to drive.
No not yet. Once they have a loaner secured, I pick it up and leave the bolt. They said they have a place they're storing them away from other cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the information, I need to press the EV Concierge about this myself, as it seems like a much better alternative than driving around wondering if today's the day for a Bolt bonfire?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was told they will only reimburse me after my buyback is complete. I made sure to get it in an email saying that I can get a buyback plus a rental while waiting. They told me over the phone they would also pay for Uber rides if I needed it to get to the rental office and also for gas. Was told to save all the receipts.

I wish I could find a $38 a day rental. Congrats on that OP. I had to get Enterprise to use a local Chevy Dealership code to get it down to $47 a day with taxes. So since GM caps rentals at $46 I am just out a $1 a day but sounds like they may cover that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to update those interested: I have a loaner. The only up-front cost was a $50 deposit at the rental company (to be reimbursed when I return the car). I pay for gas and save receipts to present for reimbursement when I pick up the repaired bolt. No estimate was given in terms of when that would be.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just to update those interested: I have a loaner. The only up-front cost was a $50 deposit at the rental company (to be reimbursed when I return the car). I pay for gas and save receipts to present for reimbursement when I pick up the repaired bolt. No estimate was given in terms of when that would be.
Might be a dumb question, but how long do you have it rented for? Hertz is telling me I have to have an end date, and there's no guarantee that I can extend it beyond that date. I asked for a rental for 6 months and they said no... so how do you have this setup?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Might be a dumb question, but how long do you have it rented for? Hertz is telling me I have to have an end date, and there's no guarantee that I can extend it beyond that date. I asked for a rental for 6 months and they said no... so how do you have this setup?
Biggest thing about going over a month is if your personal car insurance will cover any incidents. Some will not cover past 30 days. I even read that some places are two weeks only (an article mentioned Allstate which seems really short if true). Make sure you check with your insurance carrier to see what their coverage is for long term rentals. That is probably why most rental places will not rent past 30 days and want you to renew with a new contract.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received a call today from my concierge that my gas receipts were approved and a check(s) was being sent out. Will update once I see them show up. Curious if they're multiple checks for each individual gas receipt or one check that combines all of them.

The rental reimbursement has not been approved yet as I just completed the first monthly reservation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Biggest thing about going over a month is if your personal car insurance will cover any incidents. Some will not cover past 30 days. I even read that some places are two weeks only (an article mentioned Allstate which seems really short if true). Make sure you check with your insurance carrier to see what their coverage is for long term rentals. That is probably why most rental places will not rent past 30 days and want you to renew with a new contract.
I just reserved a car from Hertz that I pick up on Monday and I booked it for 4 weeks. I haven't checked with my insurance about this yet, I have USAA, which is pretty good for most things, but I am a little hesitant to ask about this while letting them know that I'm renting because I have a 2019 Bolt fire hazard that I don't want to drive, ugh!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just reserved a car from Hertz that I pick up on Monday and I booked it for 4 weeks. I haven't checked with my insurance about this yet, I have USAA, which is pretty good for most things, but I am a little hesitant to ask about this while letting them know that I'm renting because I have a 2019 Bolt fire hazard that I don't want to drive, ugh!
Don't even mention the Bolt. Just ask them if there is a time limit for coverage on a rental vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
Don't they already know you have a Bolt? They're your insurance company.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My insurance has no time limit, I can rent a car for a year and I'm covered the same as if I did 1 day. That was nice to know. Unfortunately there are two gaps which my insurance in Michigan won't cover. If I'm in an accident the rental car company has two courses of action: 1) They have a per day fee they can charge for each day the car is not rent able (i.e. length of repair), 2) Loss of depreciation - the vehicle is valued less after an accident and they can impose that fee on you to cover the difference.

My insurance company says there are no riders or umbrella plans to cover this sort of a gap, only the add on rental car insurance will cover it unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
My insurance has no time limit, I can rent a car for a year and I'm covered the same as if I did 1 day. That was nice to know. Unfortunately there are two gaps which my insurance in Michigan won't cover. If I'm in an accident the rental car company has two courses of action: 1) They have a per day fee they can charge for each day the car is not rent able (i.e. length of repair), 2) Loss of depreciation - the vehicle is valued less after an accident and they can impose that fee on you to cover the difference.

My insurance company says there are no riders or umbrella plans to cover this sort of a gap, only the add on rental car insurance will cover it unfortunately. :(
I knew about the lost time they could charge for. I did not know about the depreciation. That's good to know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts