Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 Bolt on the 1st of February and I've been charging it regularly with a Duosida 32A EVSA that I got from EVDoctor on Amazon. Yesterday I charged it in the rain, drove it, and when I tried to charge again it gave me the "unable to charge" message on the dash. No fault light on the Duosida box, power, connection, and charging lights on. The car will charge fine on the OEM EVSA.

I emailed the EVDoctor (Dave Ahlgren) and he said it seemed like water damage. He also said that the unit wasn't warranted against water damage and that it would probably cost $99 plus $45 return shipping (from California to Vermont) to fix it. Add my shipping cost to CA and it's the almost the cost of a new one.

I'm thinking that the issue is in the handle/connector. That seems like the most vulnerable to water. The box seems well sealed.

Has anyone tried repairing a water damaged portable EVSA? Any instructions or advice? Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2020 Bolt on the 1st of February and I've been charging it regularly with a Duosida 32A EVSA that I got from EVDoctor on Amazon. Yesterday I charged it in the rain, drove it, and when I tried to charge again it gave me the "unable to charge" message on the dash. No fault light on the Duosida box, power, connection, and charging lights on. The car will charge fine on the OEM EVSA.

I emailed the EVDoctor (Dave Ahlgren) and he said it seemed like water damage. He also said that the unit wasn't warranted against water damage and that it would probably cost $99 plus $45 return shipping (from California to Vermont) to fix it. Add my shipping cost to CA and it's the almost the cost of a new one.

I'm thinking that the issue is in the handle/connector. That seems like the most vulnerable to water. The box seems well sealed.

Has anyone tried repairing a water damaged portable EVSA? Any instructions or advice? Many thanks.
here is the protection brake down and I dont think the rain did anything to , unless it rained hard than a jet of water..
IP5 5 means 5 Protected against dust limited ingress, no harmful deposits. 5 Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions, limited ingress permitted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately this is an independent seller, so Amazon won't cover any returns.

Yes, theoretically this is IP55. I get the feeling that QA was not on the ball when this one rolled off the assembly line. Nevertheless, exempting water damage from the warranty for an IP55 rated device seems less than upfront to me. I'm getting back to the vendor to see if he will do the right thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you are certain there is no warranty, open it up and see if it is wet inside. Dry it out, it might still work. If it does, you might be able to seal it better than the factory.
Of course it might have just "died" and has nothing to do with water at all. If the issue was just in the handle I would think the power light or fault light would have lit up. It sounds like you should have a warranty from someone as the unit isn't that old.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would complain to the manufacturer and see if the can switch out for a newer unit no charge. (By newer I mean same unit but hopefully sealed better) seems like it should be designed to hold up to a little rain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the EV Doctor did the right thing and replaced the circuit board. He also changed the full charge setting. I noticed in a later attempt to charge with it that the "100%" icon was flashing on the LCD screen. Could have been an intermittent electrical problem. Could have been that it was thinking the pack was 100% full before it actually was.

It will be back home on Tuesday and I'll see how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts