Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my taillight assembly. The dealer wants $150 for the service charge. 4 bolts to replace the assembly. 3 are very easy to find. The 4th seems to be under the molding on the lift gate. Anyone know how to remove or pop off the lift gate molding. Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
No advice for Jim until he explains why he needs to replace his tail light assembly. Lol. (sorry, I don't have an answer for you)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I damaged / cracked the rear taillight assembly on my new Bolt. I had a promotion deal that provided me with $200 off of the replacement part. I have the new taillight assembly. I like to do as much repair work within my skill level. The removal and replacement of the taillight does not look very difficult, 4 studs with 8 mm nuts. 3 studs are visible on the back side of the lift gate, the 4th is under the panel trim on the inside of the lift gate. I need some instructions to remove the panel trim to expose the 4th stud. Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I damaged / cracked the rear taillight assembly on my new Bolt. I had a promotion deal that provided me with $200 off of the replacement part. I have the new taillight assembly. I like to do as much repair work within my skill level. The removal and replacement of the taillight does not look very difficult, 4 studs with 8 mm nuts. 3 studs are visible on the back side of the lift gate, the 4th is under the panel trim on the inside of the lift gate. I need some instructions to remove the panel trim to expose the 4th stud. Thanks, Jim
I can't give you exact instructions as I have never done what you're doing and I don't have the service manual, but I have worked on a lot of cars for nearly 40 years. What you likely need to do is get a set of plastic trim and panel removal tools if you don't have them already. Something like this-

https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Removal-Tool-pcs-Upholstery/dp/B00LUPOSD4

Look for any screws that might hold the back panel on first and remove them. Sometimes they are hidden underneath caps and covers that need to be removed by prying them off with a tiny blade screwdriver. Once you are certain all screws, or retaining nuts have been removed, start prying with your plastic pry tools and the rear panel will start to pop loose. It is likely held in place with a number of plastic clips and possibly some adhesive.

Don't be alarmed if some of these clips break in the process. Many times they are reusable, but sometimes you just have to break them to get the panel off. They are expendable, can easily and cheaply be replaced. The main thing is to not damage the panel, or the lift gate. There may also be a plastic moisture barrier under the back panel, if so, just peel it back and when you're done putting in the new tail light, just stick it back.

Again, I have not done this job, nor do I have the service manual. I really don't know what you'll find, but this is what I would expect to find based on years of experience. When you get in there, take a few pictures and post them up here! That's how forums like these can really help the next guy. Unfortunately, you seem to be going first. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I have already ordered a set of plastic trim removal tools after watching some videos on YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I can't give you exact instructions as I have never done what you're doing and I don't have the service manual, but I have worked on a lot of cars for nearly 40 years. What you likely need to do is get a set of plastic trim and panel removal tools if you don't have them already. Something like this-

https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Removal-Tool-pcs-Upholstery/dp/B00LUPOSD4

Look for any screws that might hold the back panel on first and remove them. Sometimes they are hidden underneath caps and covers that need to be removed by prying them off with a tiny blade screwdriver. Once you are certain all screws, or retaining nuts have been removed, start prying with your plastic pry tools and the rear panel will start to pop loose. It is likely held in place with a number of plastic clips and possibly some adhesive.

Don't be alarmed if some of these clips break in the process. Many times they are reusable, but sometimes you just have to break them to get the panel off. They are expendable, can easily and cheaply be replaced. The main thing is to not damage the panel, or the lift gate. There may also be a plastic moisture barrier under the back panel, if so, just peel it back and when you're done putting in the new tail light, just stick it back.

Again, I have not done this job, nor do I have the service manual. I really don't know what you'll find, but this is what I would expect to find based on years of experience. When you get in there, take a few pictures and post them up here! That's how forums like these can really help the next guy. Unfortunately, you seem to be going first. ;)
Hmm...looks like that tool can be used to remove the interior dome light covers? I've hesitated trying to remove the front dome lights due to fear of breaking them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I love trim removal tools haha. I used to find excuses to use them all the time and you notice how much better they are then flat head screwdrivers and microfibers lmao

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, is it easy enough to remove the interior trim? And once removed, is it easy enough to remove and replace the taillight assembly? I'm hoping that I can fix this one myself as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since moskusjm never followed up with success or failure stories, I'll share mine since I just completed replacing the taillight.

Removing the interior trim isn't terribly difficult. It would be easier with the trim removal tools, but I was able to get it partly by hand and partly with standard pry bars. There's only one screw, a torx head visible inside the handhold indentation on the passenger side. I'd initially hoped that I could just loosen the left part of the trim panel and reach in, but the way the lower trim panel fits inside the upper trim panel prevents you from getting any space to work without taking it all the way off.

It is just four bolts, three visible on the inside of the hatch and one under the trim panel. I also loosened the lower bolt holding on the outside trim panel above the taillight just to give me a bit more room to wiggle the light out and back in. There are also two plastic clips molded into the taillight assembly holding it in place. They clip to the opening in the hatch where the wiring and light go through, and aren't hard to disengage if you know they're there. I only looked after I took out the bolts and it didn't just pop right out. It also took me a couple of minutes to figure out the little tabs that I had to flip and pull to disconnect the wiring harness.

Reassembly was pretty quick. It was just a matter of lining everything up and snapping it back together. The hardest part was getting some of the clips lined up with their holes and I had to poke around a bit to get it into the right place. Once a few were in the rest snapped into place quickly.

Start to finish was about an hour and a half, and if I had to do it again (let's hope not!), I could do it in under an hour.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Since moskusjm never followed up with success or failure stories, I'll share mine since I just completed replacing the taillight.

Removing the interior trim isn't terribly difficult. It would be easier with the trim removal tools, but I was able to get it partly by hand and partly with standard pry bars. There's only one screw, a torx head visible inside the handhold indentation on the passenger side. I'd initially hoped that I could just loosen the left part of the trim panel and reach in, but the way the lower trim panel fits inside the upper trim panel prevents you from getting any space to work without taking it all the way off.

It is just four bolts, three visible on the inside of the hatch and one under the trim panel. I also loosened the lower bolt holding on the outside trim panel above the taillight just to give me a bit more room to wiggle the light out and back in. There are also two plastic clips molded into the taillight assembly holding it in place. They clip to the opening in the hatch where the wiring and light go through, and aren't hard to disengage if you know they're there. I only looked after I took out the bolts and it didn't just pop right out. It also took me a couple of minutes to figure out the little tabs that I had to flip and pull to disconnect the wiring harness.

Reassembly was pretty quick. It was just a matter of lining everything up and snapping it back together. The hardest part was getting some of the clips lined up with their holes and I had to poke around a bit to get it into the right place. Once a few were in the rest snapped into place quickly.

Start to finish was about an hour and a half, and if I had to do it again (let's hope not!), I could do it in under an hour.
Thanks for sharing the experience. No doubt somebody else will have to, or want to take out the taillights in the future and now there is a description of the process. Well done!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts