Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the current conventional wisdom about replacing the Michelins with a different tire? So far I've heard that, depending on what you replace them with, you're likely to get better handling but more noise and reduced range. The noise in particular would be a deal-breaker for me. I have a spare, so I don't need a self-sealing tire.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've done some research on this and followed all the posts here on it. I have a bias though; I've had what I consider a simple puncture and the self-sealing feature did not work. So, my plan is one of the following:
#1) Replace tires with the same tire series/make BUT not self-sealing. Save $ .... I personally have less than acceptable confidence in the OEM tire.
or
#2) Replace tires with the same tire as #1, not self-sealing. Spend the money to put a spare in the trunk like it sounds you have.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Do you need max range? If not, there are many choices which aren't noisier than the Michelin. Just me, but I'll probably buy the Michelin without self-seal. By most accounts, they're lighter, ride better and are less expensive.

jack vines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for these responses. Range isn't critical as long as the difference between the Michelins and Brand X isn't too much - in what passes for winter in northern California my range with the original Michelins goes down to 240, which is fine for my purposes, but knocking another 15-20% off that would bring me further down than I'd like to go. The noise factor matters more - that wasn't why I decided to make the switch to electric, but I spend enough time behind the wheel that it's why I'd be loathe to go back to an internal combustion vehicle. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm having handling problems, but everything I've read makes it clear that that the price you pay for the greater efficiency of low rolling resistance tires is poorer handling.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get Nokian WRG4 (I think I have the model right) All season ,great in snow/ice and the car will handle like a corvette.. not those jelly donuts it came with ...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Get Nokian WRG4 (I think I have the model right) All season ,great in snow/ice and the car will handle like a corvette.. not those jelly donuts it came with ...
FWIW, I'm a Nokian fan and use their winter tires. However, I don't think Michelin and GM are totally stupid in their choice of an all-around tire for the Bolt. If one believes GM is too stupid to choose a good tire, why buy their car?

jack vines

·
Registered
179 Posts
Replaced mine today at Costco. Took them a week to get them but got them under $190 per tire. Better than GM at $230.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
9 times out of 10 manufacturers make a POOR choice on OEM tires. Its cost driven.
That's an opinion. The fact is the manufacturers and the tire companies spend millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours testing to find the tire which will meet the needs of the majority of their customers at the price point they must have to sell the car.

Yes, there are better tires which do certain performance criteria better than the OEM tire. They're usually more expensive and usually give up in one area what they gain in another.

Bottom line - buy what suits you, but tell us how you've determined they're better and what, if any are the tradeoffs.

jack vines, who's been in and around the tire business forever.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
9 times out of 10 manufacturers make a POOR choice on OEM tires. Its cost driven.
The fact that both the Bolt, and the new Leaf, use the exact same tire makes me think they are pretty efficient. There are clearly stickier tires, if that is your main concern. As for wear, we have 33K miles on our original set. I rotate them every 7500 miles, and they are wearing perfectly even, and have 1/8" of tread. Here in Virginia, we don't have to replace them until they get below 1/16".

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
That's an opinion. The fact is the manufacturers and the tire companies spend millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours testing to find the tire which will meet the needs of the majority of their customers at the price point they must have to sell the car.
In the case of the Bolt, the tire design is optimized for efficiency, which is great for a lot of folks - perhaps most of them. For someone who's looking for a performance, it's a "poor choice". It all depends on what you're looking for.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've been thinking of changing from the OEMs to the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. The size 205/50-R17 is a little narrower but just 0.4" less in diameter. I've read on the forum that Vredestein is getting out of the consumer tire business, so I was thinking about getting a set before they are gone, mostly for the reported reduction in tire noise. But it is also supposed to handle better. I don't have a problem with the OEMs for handling, but I think the noise level is more than it should be. The Quatrac Pro in the mentioned size is narrower which could affect handling, but if they handle fundamentally better, then maybe it wouldn't end up make a difference, especially since I am not a performance driver. They are also rated for higher weight and speed. BUT, I don't want to take a big hit in efficiency. Most of my driving is around town, so efficiency is that important. It is on longer trips where the concern arises. I know some on the forum have made the switch (to 225/45-R17, slightly wider but smaller diameter), but no one has reported efficiency they are getting with them, though they seem happy with the noise reduction. Any thoughts on a slightly narrower tire and any efficiency reports on the Quatrac Pro?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been thinking of changing from the OEMs to the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. The size 205/50-R17 is a little narrower but just 0.4" less in diameter. I've read on the forum that Vredestein is getting out of the consumer tire business, so I was thinking about getting a set before they are gone, mostly for the reported reduction in tire noise. But it is also supposed to handle better. I don't have a problem with the OEMs for handling, but I think the noise level is more than it should be. The Quatrac Pro in the mentioned size is narrower which could affect handling, but if they handle fundamentally better, then maybe it wouldn't end up make a difference, especially since I am not a performance driver. They are also rated for higher weight and speed. BUT, I don't want to take a big hit in efficiency. Most of my driving is around town, so efficiency is that important. It is on longer trips where the concern arises. I know some on the forum have made the switch (to 225/45-R17, slightly wider but smaller diameter), but no one has reported efficiency they are getting with them, though they seem happy with the noise reduction. Any thoughts on a slightly narrower tire and any efficiency reports on the Quatrac Pro?
I put the Vredestein Quatrac 5's on my Bolt. HATED the OEM tires for their near complete lack of traction (keeping in mind that the Bolt IS a torque monster). The Quatrac 5's are low-rolling resistance, gave me NO MEASURABLE HIT in range (I am in NorthWest NJ, so we get really hot and really cold, with occasional HEAVY snow). The handling is better, braking is better, and while they don't have a reputation for long wear, at about 6-7k miles, they appear to be wearing as well or better than the OEMs. Liked them so much we put them on 2 other family vehicles.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I put the Vredestein Quatrac 5's on my Bolt. HATED the OEM tires for their near complete lack of traction (keeping in mind that the Bolt IS a torque monster). The Quatrac 5's are low-rolling resistance, gave me NO MEASURABLE HIT in range (I am in NorthWest NJ, so we get really hot and really cold, with occasional HEAVY snow). The handling is better, braking is better, and while they don't have a reputation for long wear, at about 6-7k miles, they appear to be wearing as well or better than the OEMs. Liked them so much we put them on 2 other family vehicles.
That sounds good. But how was the tire noise in the Quatrac 5 compared to the OEM? I know I can get the stock size in the "5", but I know that the tire noise is reported to be significantly less in the "Pro" compared with the OEM, though I would have to go with a non-standard size, and I still don't know about efficiency with the "Pro."

·
Registered
57 Posts
The noise seems similar to me, but I rarely find ANY tire to be particularly noisy, with the exception of all terrain tires (maybe the radio is too loud). The Quatrac 5 in the stock size is Y-rated, and I cannot imagine a tire rated for both low rolling resistance and 186mph could be noisy (wouldn't whatever generates the noise cause heat buildup, which limits your speed range?) Not an expert mind you. Also, the diameter is SLIGHTLY smaller than stock, so your reported speed is, by my estimation, over-reported by 0.5 mph. This would also impact range, but I cannot see any difference, keeping in mind that when your replace tires that are 3/32 tread depth with 10/32 tread depth (14/32 in tire diameter!), you make a small, but sometimes measurable difference too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody switched from OEM to the bridgestones turanza quiettracks? Those look appealing but they're more freaking expensive than track tires I've bought for some of my old cars. I can't stand the OEM tires. Too **** squishy and not all that quiet.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I can't stand the OEM tires. Too **** squishy and not all that quiet.
That's unusual! Most who don't like the OEM Michelins complain they're too hard, too wooden. Never seen anyone accuse them of being squishy. Just goes to show, it's all subjective; not at all absolute.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 25 Posts