Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After about a 2 week wait for the backordered part, I got my MSD and replaced it today. I just wanted to replace it to give me some peace of mind after seeing a few people who got stranded due to a bad MSD. For my 2019 built in March 2019, it already had the new part number (24294004) even though the date stamped on the part itself was Jan 5, 2019. I assume GM assigns a new part number if a batch is found to be bad and the TSB calls for replacing with a new part number so I likely did this for nothing. In any case, I'll have a spare at least and found that it was pretty easy to do so maybe this will help someone else. I know some people (even those with 2019 Bolts) have an older/different part number but mine ended up being the same. Interesting that the bar codes on the actual fuses are different though.

Mike

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've had my Bolt, a couple times, say I need to apply the brake to start the car when I already had my foot on the brake. Applying the brake a second time with a little more pressure (because I probably was annoyed after the first time) seemed to always work.

·
Registered
68 Posts

After about a 2 week wait for the backordered part, I got my MSD and replaced it today. I just wanted to replace it to give me some peace of mind after seeing a few people who got stranded due to a bad MSD. For my 2019 built in March 2019, it already had the new part number (24294004) even though the date stamped on the part itself was Jan 5, 2019. I assume GM assigns a new part number if a batch is found to be bad and the TSB calls for replacing with a new part number so I likely did this for nothing. In any case, I'll have a spare at least and found that it was pretty easy to do so maybe this will help someone else. I know some people (even those with 2019 Bolts) have an older/different part number but mine ended up being the same. Interesting that the bar codes on the actual fuses are different though.

Mike
Thanks for sharing, do you have the date range for the recall on hand, how do you go from the range in Korea to the date range in the US?
Thanks,
Freddy

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seriously, you wasted your money. But I guess you have a spare, now.
Most likely unnecessary in my case. But given that it is the main fuse, not a bad idea to carry a spare and my code resetter. Even if the resetter didn't work, the nearest GM dealer should be able to install the spare and reset the codes. Interesting that the part number on the actual fuse is different between the two 24294004 parts. The new one is over a year newer and there's no way to know if the fuse itself is improved in some way.

The only dates we have are for the South Korea recall: Dec 2018 through May 2019. Mine was built right in the middle of that range. Who knows if the dates for U.S. built Bolts are the same. I wonder if anyone who has had an MSD failure already had a part labelled 24294004?

Old fuse: S2A0905180186/D090518/R0.2482
New fuse: S2A1120190154/D112019/R0.2429

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for the excellent video. Our 2019 Bolt falls into the date range of the recall just posted in another thread. After watching your video, I went out and lifted our back seat to check the part number on my MSD. It is 24294004 same as yours. I was also able to get a mirror in next to the orange cover and could read the date on the round green sticker: 19-03-04 which means (I think) my fuse was made on March 4th 2019. Our Bolt was built in May 2019.

So now I gotta decide if I want to worry about getting a new fuse, or just hope for the best. At least, thanx to your video, I know if I go ahead and order one it's no big deal to swap it out. I don't really want to take our Bolt in to our local Chevy dealer cuz they are idiots and I don't trust them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another point of reference. The My Chevrolet app doesn't report a recall for my vehicle. My car was built June 2019, the part number on my MSD is the same as MikeyBolt's (24294004). My MSD was manufactured April 8, 2019. I'm towards the end of the range affected, hopefully I'm in the clear. I guess I'll keep watching.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just came out Jul 16, 2020 Customer Satisfaction Program N192278390 - Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles built between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019, may have a condition in which the manual service disconnect fuse opens at too low an amperage resulting in a check engine light turning on or the vehicle will not start or in rare cases a loss of propulsion. NOTE: Verify the new service part has a black dot on the upper right corner of the label. This indicates the unit has been fully tested.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just came out Jul 16, 2020 Customer Satisfaction Program N192278390 - Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles built between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019,...
It's showing fro my Bolt on my app and on the Chevrolet owner page

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2019 LT was built in 11/18 and has MSD part number 24291219. Does this mean I should be seeking a replacement?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2019 LT was built in 11/18 and has MSD part number 24291219. Does this mean I should be seeking a replacement?
The recall says build dates between Jan 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019 so GM says no: your MSD should be OK.

Mike

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Old fuse: S2A0905180186/D090518/R0.2482
New fuse: S2A1120190154/D112019/R0.2429
So, got my $17 Ebay fuse in. Date Code is D081818. So a couple years old like your old fuse.
Dimensions seem to match factory spec, but the holes on the spec show what appears to be a slot. But measuring the fuse, the distance between holes (not slots) appears to be between D1 and D2. But their spec has G as 9, D1 as 75 with over length A as 92. So opposite slot would have to have outside center be 8 mm from edge creating an offset. The fuse I got has both holes centers 9.5 mm from edge and 73 mm between them. So maybe D1 and D2 is just a tolerance.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you think the round holes might indicate a conterfeit part? Have you tried replacing it to see if the holes line up and are big enough for the bolts? I can use my caliper and measure the distance between the center of the bolts on my old 24294004 if that would help, but I don't want to remove the fuse to measure the diameter of the bolts.

Mike

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Do you think the round holes might indicate a conterfeit part? Have you tried replacing it to see if the holes line up and are big enough for the bolts? I can use my caliper and measure the distance between the center of the bolts on my old 24294004 if that would help, but I don't want to remove the fuse to measure the diameter of the bolts.

Mike
Not going to try to use this unless it's an emergency. But that would be helpful to measure the center to center on your MSD. The bolt holes appear to be the right size. Just not slotted as depicted in the spec. All the pictures that I can find of these fuses show a slot. So that either means that this was a custom part (which their website says they will do) or is a sign of being counterfeit. I find their spec odd that if followed (note: they say all dimensions are nominal which gives them an out), the slots differ in the distance from their respective edge by a millimeter. So maybe a counterfeiter also found that odd so split the difference and made them even. The official build drawings would have tolerances that would make it easier to copy. Hence, all dimensions are nominal.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Centers of the bolts measure 71.62mm apart via my digital caliper.

Mike
Have some old fashioned analog calipers that are only in english units. Interesting, almost all dimension precisely match to english units. So obviously all the millimeters are rounded conversions like most things made in america. Example, the width of the blades are exactly 1 inch. Hey, spec sheet says their nominally 25mm. Very hard to get a good measurement of the distance between the holes. Appears to be 2 7/8" or 73mm.

May want to include a round file in my emergency kit just in case.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts