Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Replaced the MSD in my 2019 Premier: Video

8K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Tim 
#1 ·

After about a 2 week wait for the backordered part, I got my MSD and replaced it today. I just wanted to replace it to give me some peace of mind after seeing a few people who got stranded due to a bad MSD. For my 2019 built in March 2019, it already had the new part number (24294004) even though the date stamped on the part itself was Jan 5, 2019. I assume GM assigns a new part number if a batch is found to be bad and the TSB calls for replacing with a new part number so I likely did this for nothing. In any case, I'll have a spare at least and found that it was pretty easy to do so maybe this will help someone else. I know some people (even those with 2019 Bolts) have an older/different part number but mine ended up being the same. Interesting that the bar codes on the actual fuses are different though.

Mike

#2 ·
I've had my Bolt, a couple times, say I need to apply the brake to start the car when I already had my foot on the brake. Applying the brake a second time with a little more pressure (because I probably was annoyed after the first time) seemed to always work.

#5 · (Edited)
Most likely unnecessary in my case. But given that it is the main fuse, not a bad idea to carry a spare and my code resetter. Even if the resetter didn't work, the nearest GM dealer should be able to install the spare and reset the codes. Interesting that the part number on the actual fuse is different between the two 24294004 parts. The new one is over a year newer and there's no way to know if the fuse itself is improved in some way.

The only dates we have are for the South Korea recall: Dec 2018 through May 2019. Mine was built right in the middle of that range. Who knows if the dates for U.S. built Bolts are the same. I wonder if anyone who has had an MSD failure already had a part labelled 24294004?

Old fuse: S2A0905180186/D090518/R0.2482
New fuse: S2A1120190154/D112019/R0.2429

Mike

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the excellent video. Our 2019 Bolt falls into the date range of the recall just posted in another thread. After watching your video, I went out and lifted our back seat to check the part number on my MSD. It is 24294004 same as yours. I was also able to get a mirror in next to the orange cover and could read the date on the round green sticker: 19-03-04 which means (I think) my fuse was made on March 4th 2019. Our Bolt was built in May 2019.

So now I gotta decide if I want to worry about getting a new fuse, or just hope for the best. At least, thanx to your video, I know if I go ahead and order one it's no big deal to swap it out. I don't really want to take our Bolt in to our local Chevy dealer cuz they are idiots and I don't trust them.

#7 ·
Another point of reference. The My Chevrolet app doesn't report a recall for my vehicle. My car was built June 2019, the part number on my MSD is the same as MikeyBolt's (24294004). My MSD was manufactured April 8, 2019. I'm towards the end of the range affected, hopefully I'm in the clear. I guess I'll keep watching.

#9 ·
Just came out Jul 16, 2020 Customer Satisfaction Program N192278390 - Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles built between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019, may have a condition in which the manual service disconnect fuse opens at too low an amperage resulting in a check engine light turning on or the vehicle will not start or in rare cases a loss of propulsion. NOTE: Verify the new service part has a black dot on the upper right corner of the label. This indicates the unit has been fully tested.

#17 ·
Do you think the round holes might indicate a conterfeit part? Have you tried replacing it to see if the holes line up and are big enough for the bolts? I can use my caliper and measure the distance between the center of the bolts on my old 24294004 if that would help, but I don't want to remove the fuse to measure the diameter of the bolts.

Mike

#18 ·
Not going to try to use this unless it's an emergency. But that would be helpful to measure the center to center on your MSD. The bolt holes appear to be the right size. Just not slotted as depicted in the spec. All the pictures that I can find of these fuses show a slot. So that either means that this was a custom part (which their website says they will do) or is a sign of being counterfeit. I find their spec odd that if followed (note: they say all dimensions are nominal which gives them an out), the slots differ in the distance from their respective edge by a millimeter. So maybe a counterfeiter also found that odd so split the difference and made them even. The official build drawings would have tolerances that would make it easier to copy. Hence, all dimensions are nominal.

#20 ·
Have some old fashioned analog calipers that are only in english units. Interesting, almost all dimension precisely match to english units. So obviously all the millimeters are rounded conversions like most things made in america. Example, the width of the blades are exactly 1 inch. Hey, spec sheet says their nominally 25mm. Very hard to get a good measurement of the distance between the holes. Appears to be 2 7/8" or 73mm.

May want to include a round file in my emergency kit just in case.

#22 ·
Even when I took the car to the dealer to get the recalled part changed I ordered and got my fuse from Ebay today, the part will arrive on Tuesday
weights 5 ounces exactly.
Part number on the code: 3A0818180042/D081818/R0.2481
The numbers on the connecting bar seem to be laser etched.
It says:
Eaton
St. Louis, MO 63178
Assembed in Mexico

Orange Material property
Orange Electronics Technology Electronic device
Electronics

Images attached

#23 ·
art number on the code: 3A0818180042/D081818/R0.2481
Hey, your serial number is one off from mine with the same date code. Thanks for posting. Was thinking if it was counterfeit, would they bother with individualizing serial numbers? Wonder what the R number is? They're all slightly different. Maybe a resistance value? 0.2481 milli ohms? Wish I had a meter like professor Kelly:

#27 ·
The last part of my old fuse's part number was also R0.2481 and it's interesting if that is resistance in milli-ohms because the new one is R0.2429 which would indicate slightly lower resistance. I wonder if all those in the "bad batch" had a resistance of 0.2481 milli-ohms?

Mike

#28 · (Edited)
Thinking yours was R0.2482 where Freddy's was R0.2481 and mine is R0.2488. Yes, they're all slightly higher than your new fuse. Good catch. The higher the resistance, the more voltage drop, energy dissipation and higher heat. Could also be a threshold of the monitoring circuit where every thousandths of a milli-ohm matter. Reading a Cooper Busmann engineering fact sheet says these don't wear.

edit: so resistance increases with temperature. I bet the issue isn't a blown fuse. Just a batch of fuses that could trip the Bolt's monitoring circuitry and the car faults. If one could get the car cooled down and clear the faults, the car would be drivable again.

#29 ·
Interesting. I'd sure like Weber to analyze the resistance on one of these fuses after it has caused the failure. As you said, it could be a heat thing. On the other hand, those fuses just have a number of metal ribs inside. If one of the ribs burns through, the resistance would go up significantly. In that case, maybe it wouldn't work if you just cooled it down because it'd still have that one burnt-through rib. Would love to know, just for my own curiosity.

Edit: by my calculations, the difference between .2429 and .2481 is a little less than 1 watt at full power (160kW) so I can't imagine the resistance alone would cause a problem. My guess is that these fuses aren't supposed to wear... but the bad batch does, and that leads to it increasing resistance over time.

Mike

#31 ·
I bought my 2019 LT around Christmas. I have my "complimentary" service visit in about 3 weeks, presumably for a tire rotation. I called the dealer today to point out that I got a recall notice for my car, and it would be nice if they had the part and could do the recall service when I came in for my appointment. The guy told they've had 3 other of the MSDs on order for other customers for a couple weeks now. He said they'll add one for me, and I'll get a robocall when it comes in.

#32 ·
Got mine replaced at the dealer today. Took about an hour or so. They also updated the software. I asked about an update to change the charging taper from a stepwise taper to a gradual decline curve, like the 2020 model. They said that that update wasn't ready yet but I should receive a notification when it's available. Of course, no charge for anything.

#36 ·
Thanks for the nice video and instructions. I wouldn't have thought that the 12v battery needed to be disconnected first, so thanks for the heads up, if I ever need to replace mine! Maybe I'll put a label on the MSD to that effect.
Also, there is a nice little cubby under the seat that you could wrap that old MSD in some foam or bubble wrap, and hopefully it will fit in there. Actually, it might not fit. I keep my wheel lock under there.

#39 ·
Also, there is a nice little cubby under the seat that you could wrap that old MSD in some foam or bubble wrap, and hopefully it will fit in there. Actually, it might not fit. I keep my wheel lock under there.
That is so cool to find hidden compartments! I discovered the same thing in my previous (gas) car. Now I'm wondering what other features the Bolt has that aren't mentioned in the owner's manual?

#37 · (Edited)
Our Bolt was built in May 2019. It is included in the MSD recall notice.

In case anyone is considering buying a MSD and installing it themselves, here is my buying experience. May allay any fears of overly long wait times for the part to arrive.

I DID NOT want to take our Bolt to our local Chevy dealer for the recall service. Personal choice. Several factors, including trying to maximize our social isolation due to COVID.

Anyway, we live in Midland, TX. I bought my MSD online from the closest (geographically) Chevy parts warehouse (Scoggin Dickey in Lubbock, TX) :

gmwarehousedirect.com | OEM GM Parts & Accessories | GM Warehouse Direct

Timeline:

1. Ordered part online on July 20. Got email reply to my order later that day, telling me the part was on 2-3 week backorder, and asking what I wanted to do.
2. On July 21 I replied by email that I was happy to wait as long as it took - please go ahead and submit the order.
3. Got another email later that day saying "Are you sure? A Special Order may take 3-4 weeks?" I immediately emailed back "No problem. PLEASE submit the order".
4. On July 22 got email confirmation that my order was successfully entered into the system.
5. On July 30 got email shipping notice. Was shipped via FEDEX, which has to go from Lubbock, TX east to DFW, TX then back west to Midland, TX. Don't ask me why.
6. Package was delivered on Saturday morning Aug. 1. HOORAY!

So it took 11 days from time order was entered into system until it was in my hands. Not too bad.

My new MSD looks exactly like the new one in Reply #30 above. Same part number as the MSD in our car, but has the added black "dot" and blue "V" next to part number.

The green sticker on the original MSD in our car has a date code of 19-03-04. The new MSD has green sticker with date code 20-03-31. One year newer?

My cost was $99.79 plus $8.23 tax for total of $108.02 (shipping/handling was free). Cheap price for increased peace of mind.

#38 ·
I had a similar experience and also ordered from gmwarehousedirect. They actually called me (imagine someone who knows how to use an actual phone in 2020) ;) and asked if I wanted them to order it. I said yes and the rest went similar to your experience. I did place an order with another popular GM parts place first (won't mention the name because I don't want to slam anyone) but their price was a few dollars cheaper... but they simply sent an email with "your order was canceled" with no option to order and wait. My order took 13 days. Similar to your timeline. My feeling is they (GM) tell people it's on backorder to discourage doing it yourself but if you can get them to place the order, it doesn't take that long.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.