Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been in conversation with GM regarding the recent battery recall and they have offered to replace or repurchase my leased 2019 Chevy Bolt with 12,xxx miles. I haven't received details yet of what exactly they are planning to offer, but I'm wondering if anyone else is also considering this option. What were you offered? Have you decided what to do? What are the factors to consider?

I'm hesitant partly because I will probably not be eligible for another HOV sticker in California since there is a limit of two per person. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

CORRECTION: (thank you to cwerdna!): CA CVRP has a limit of two per person, but not the HOV sticker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is correct, it’s huge. Can you detail your conversations? How many? What have you been expressing as your concerns? I have a 2019 with 6k miles and would definitely be interested in a buy back to open the option of a Bolt EUV purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an early 2019 with almost 20.000 miles. The car has been trouble free and I really do not want to get rid of it. That said, I will be getting the recall done in about a week just so I do not have any insurance issues. After that is done, I was going to consider replacing it. With what I'm not sure. The Tesla Y still has so many delivery complaints, the latest being that the heaters are iffy. The new Mustang sound intriguing but i would consider the coming Bolt SUV if there was a good buyback replacement offer. Please keep us all posted on the offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this is correct, it’s huge. Can you detail your conversations? How many? What have you been expressing as your concerns? I have a 2019 with 6k miles and would definitely be interested in a buy back to open the option of a Bolt EUV purchase.
This follows many conversations with GM customer service. I originally requested a discount on my lease payment, which they said they were unable to do, then they offered a reimbursement of two lease of my payments. I suggested they should reimburse my lease payments until the problem was fixed at which point they offered a repurchase or replacement. I now need to submit info to see what exactly they will offer as a repurchase or replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
175 Posts
What does this entail for those of us who bought our vehicle outright? replace the battery or replace the entire vehicle?
Any literature on the subject?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well, I am not sure.
I like the car. I put a lot into it (labor and money) - hitch, wiring, floor mats, winter wheels...
Overall it is a trouble free car with 11k miles now.

Would I change it for 2020? Maybe... Do I see any need for it? Not really...

Definitely I would be seeking a depreciation reimbursement.
My car's value dropped drastically the moment recall resurfaced. It was a quite few grands.

Reactions: davioh2001

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
175 Posts
Well, I am not sure.
I like the car. I put a lot into it (labor and money) - hitch, wiring, floor mats, winter wheels...

My car's value dropped drastically the moment recall resurfaced. It was a quite few grands.
That's what I am concerned about. I'm sitting on quite a bit of investment in a 2" hitch, trailer wiring and tires capable of 60psi. The value loss isn't an issue for me though, I'd like a new battery one that I can trust to tow my house up spanish fork canyon without blowing out a cell. I can't have a battery go up on me when I am in the sticks causing a wildfire.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
That's what I am concerned about. I'm sitting on quite a bit of investment in a 2" hitch, trailer wiring and tires capable of 60psi. The value loss isn't an issue for me though, I'd like a new battery one that I can trust to tow my house up spanish fork canyon without blowing out a cell. I can't have a battery go up on me when I am in the sticks causing a wildfire.
Do we have any evidence or incidents of a Bolt battery "blowing out a cell" while being driven?

jack vines

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have called several times to GM and GM exec offices, No answers on a fix or a buy back same old Corporate line, "working around the clock to find the cause"

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have called several times to GM and GM exec offices, No answers on a fix or a buy back same old Corporate line, "working around the clock to find the cause"
Those with technical forensic experience will explain in more detail just how difficult it is to find the cause of a tiny number (five out of seventy thousand) of random failures over a four-year time span.

How continually calling GM would hasten that process doesn't seem likely.

That GM can't tell us how they'll act on what they don't yet know would seem obvious to everyone.

jack vines

·
Registered
978 Posts
How continually calling GM would hasten that process doesn't seem likely.

That GM can't tell us how they'll act on what they don't yet know would seem obvious to everyone.

jack vines
Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease theory. At the very least they will be reminded that there are customers out there that are starting to lose some goodwill and patience towards GM.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Those with technical forensic experience will explain in more detail just how difficult it is to find the cause of a tiny number (five out of seventy thousand) of random failures over a four-year time span.
Each fire was probably started by one of the cells in the battery pack. 288 cells per pack, so 5 failures out of over 20 million cells. Cells are usually tracked by lot code but since the fires are from multiple years there's no single lot that could be identified as the cause.

Where I had worked, making rechargeable battery packs, we had a customer report a failure during charging. They even had a security video of the pack sitting on the charger and suddenly bursting into flames. They sent the burnt pack for us to analyze and the cells were sent to the manufacturer (Panasonic). "Unknown cause" was the official response.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease theory. At the very least they will be reminded that there are customers out there that are starting to lose some goodwill and patience towards GM.
Your results may differ, but my personal experience in corporate policy decisions is "don't make exceptions." Guarantee, there are corporate attorneys advising those flack-catching your calls and veiled threats here: "Never, ever, offer to do for any one customer what GM would not be willing to do for the thirty million who bought a GM product during that time span."

jack vines

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your results may differ, but my personal experience in corporate policy decisions is "don't make exceptions." Guarantee, there are corporate attorneys advising those flack-catching your calls and veiled threats here: "Never, ever, offer to do for any one customer what GM would not be willing to do for the thirty million who bought a GM product during that time span."

jack vines
Exactly. They are not going to do either of these right now for anyone. Most likely not anyone ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What limit? Source?

Are you confusing that with CVRP limits?
Good point Thank you! I think maybe I misread this: Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

It says "Blue CAV decals are for first-time applications only" so I thought that meant first time applicants, but it looks like you're correct, it's tied to the vehicle rather than the individual. Appreciate the tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What does this entail for those of us who bought our vehicle outright? replace the battery or replace the entire vehicle?
Any literature on the subject?
Well, I am not sure.

My 2017 Bolt dropped from 19,000 for the record before the recall to 6000 after the recall as evaluated by Tesla ... only two months and 500 miles between the two evaluations ... that's more than 10 grand ... that's what I plan to ask GM for...

·
Registered
482 Posts
My 2017 Bolt dropped from 19,000 for the record before the recall to 6000 after the recall as evaluated by Tesla ... only two months and 500 miles between the two evaluations ... that's more than 10 grand ... that's what I plan to ask GM for...
Well, I doubt you can use Tesla as a reliable source for Bolt values.

KBB is the "authority" but you could probably use Autotrader data as a source. In order to get a value of $6,000 for a 2017 Bolt on KBB it would have to be an LT with no options and 100,000 miles. I don't think such a car was worth $19,000 before. You might want to start with a more realistic number backed up with better data.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looking at car gurus today, there are dozens of new 2020 Bolt LTs for sale under $20K within 100 miles of my place in Colorado. So, how much is a 2017 worth when you can get a new 2020 for under $20K?
Reinstate the tax credit and it looks even worse. gm will of course pocket a chunk of that in lessened incentives but it will still hurt.
I bought my Bolt knowing the depreciation would be massive. I had to accept that it's a 7+ year commitment of ownership to extract value out of the deal. Which works out about right since EV pickups should be commonly available by 2024.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts