Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been in conversation with GM regarding the recent battery recall and they have offered to replace or repurchase my leased 2019 Chevy Bolt with 12,xxx miles. I haven't received details yet of what exactly they are planning to offer, but I'm wondering if anyone else is also considering this option. What were you offered? Have you decided what to do? What are the factors to consider?

I'm hesitant partly because I will probably not be eligible for another HOV sticker in California since there is a limit of two per person. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

CORRECTION: (thank you to cwerdna!): CA CVRP has a limit of two per person, but not the HOV sticker.
I was able to speak with them and make it happen. I successfully returned my 2019 Bolt to them last week for repurchase. Feel free to ping me with any questions. They refunded all of my payments and down payment, less a fair "usage fee" for the miles that I put on the car over the past two years. I'm impressed with how they handled this and they made it very easy. I had put around 36k out of my allotted 45k on the car. The usage fee was roughly 32 or 33 cents per mile. I believe this was a standard California Lemon Law buyback - I had used one of the online lemon law calculators and the estimate was about spot on with what they offered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have initiated a buy back on my 2017. They asked for a picture of the title and the original buyer's order, which I got from the dealer. If they offer me more than I could get selling private party I will probably take the deal and upgrade to another EV. So far everything has been very professional.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
206 Posts
Has anyone spoken about getting a new battery though? My car is trailer wired, 2" hitch, camera side view mirrors in the works, big tires etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you initiate the buyback. I have a 2017 Bolt that I purchased used in July 2020. It has about 15,000 miles on it. I'm disappointed with the battery/range issue to say the least.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The battery issue is making me want to jump ship from EV to gasoline. At first I was fine with this, but with such a massive component failing that is nearly impossible for any of us to fix ourselves. Paired with little to no clear communication from GM I don't trust my car as much as I used to. I don't want imbalanced cells to go up in flames when I start pulling 70kW going up a canyon- worse in someone's driveway! The Toyota Tacoma is looking like a great alternative right now and they don't explode in your driveway or on the road and have even better towing capabilities.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV LT
42 Posts
The battery issue is making me want to jump ship from EV to gasoline. At first I was fine with this, but with such a massive component failing that is nearly impossible for any of us to fix ourselves. Paired with little to no clear communication from GM I don't trust my car as much as I used to. I don't want imbalanced cells to go up in flames when I start pulling 70kW going up a canyon- worse in someone's driveway! The Toyota Tacoma is looking like a great alternative right now and they don't explode in your driveway or on the road and have even better towing capabilities.
690,000 Toyota Tacoma Trucks Recalled for Fire Risk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah... each powered vehicle or equipment can catch on fire.

Shift to a bicycle. This is the safest one. :D

Statistically it is irrelevant.
It is like you'd be wandering if you should or should not drive today, because there are so many car accidents and about 36'000 people die each year.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There were 857 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the United States in 2018. I'm not leaving the house!
Gah! I was going to be witty and post a photo of a bike.
Perhaps my last post is a bit. . . Trolly. I couldn't bring myself to buy a gasoline car- too unreliable :ROFLMAO:. I guess this is what comes with owning a car period?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been in conversation with GM regarding the recent battery recall and they have offered to replace or repurchase my leased 2019 Chevy Bolt with 12,xxx miles. I haven't received details yet of what exactly they are planning to offer, but I'm wondering if anyone else is also considering this option. What were you offered? Have you decided what to do? What are the factors to consider?

I'm hesitant partly because I will probably not be eligible for another HOV sticker in California since there is a limit of two per person. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

CORRECTION: (thank you to cwerdna!): CA CVRP has a limit of two per person, but not the HOV sticker.
I AM ALSO CONSIDERING THIS OPTIONS. NOT HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE DEPT. STATING NO FIX AND IGNORING MY COMPLAINTS.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I AM ALSO CONSIDERING THIS OPTIONS. NOT HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE DEPT. STATING NO FIX AND IGNORING MY COMPLAINTS.
This is a perfect example of why this forum needs to block all caps useless posts such as the quoted post. No caps please as it is considered VERY rude online.

Back on topic:

Have any Canadians got Chevy to rebuy their Bolts? Or an even trade for a 2020 model instead?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was able to speak with them and make it happen. I successfully returned my 2019 Bolt to them last week for repurchase. Feel free to ping me with any questions. They refunded all of my payments and down payment, less a fair "usage fee" for the miles that I put on the car over the past two years. I'm impressed with how they handled this and they made it very easy. I had put around 36k out of my allotted 45k on the car. The usage fee was roughly 32 or 33 cents per mile. I believe this was a standard California Lemon Law buyback - I had used one of the online lemon law calculators and the estimate was about spot on with what they offered.
So, as I understand this from a lemon-law calculator, if I do this, GM will be paying me for having owned the car. Once rebates are accounted for, I will have paid less than nothing to own it.

My price was $34,990 for a 2017 purchased in very early 2018. I paid $5000 down and financed the rest. I received a $7500 federal tax credit, a $2,500 state rebate and a $500 utility rebate. My payments to date are $21,623 and the car only has 16,460 miles. The lemon-law calculator says my mileage offset is $4799 ($0.30/mile?) and that GM will pay off the roughly $14,800 remaining due on my loan and return to me everything I've paid less the offset (Including tax and interest? That's crazy.), or a bit over $21,800.

All in, I've paid a bit more than $26,600. If you subtract the $10,500 I've gotten back in credits and rebates and the money GM will repay me, I'll be getting back (in credits, rebates and from GM) $5,700 more than I've paid. That should cover all maintenance (roughly $0) and electricity for the car, with enough left over to maybe cover what I've paid in insurance. Looked at another way, if the EV credit comes back, $7000 federal plus $2000 state, plus $21,800 from GM could buy another Bolt LT with some left over after sales tax. Or, I could switch from a 2017 LT with 16,000miles and a $15,000 loan to a 2020 Premier with zero miles for about $1,500 plus a few thousand in sales tax.

Even if the calculator is off by a few thousand, I don't know how I can not take that deal. I can return the Bolt to GM now and live with one car (another EV naturally) until the federal tax credit comes back and then buy another Bolt or a Tesla, or a Kona and eliminate my car payment.

Sweet!

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, as I understand this from a lemon-law calculator, if I do this, GM will be paying me for having owned the car. Once rebates are accounted for, I will have paid less than nothing to own it.

My price was $34,990 for a 2017 purchased in very early 2018. I paid $5000 down and financed the rest. I received a $7500 federal tax credit, a $2,500 state rebate and a $500 utility rebate. My payments to date are $21,623 and the car only has 16,460 miles. The lemon-law calculator says my mileage offset is $4799 ($0.30/mile?) and that GM will pay off the roughly $14,800 remaining due on my loan and return to me everything I've paid less the offset (Including tax and interest? That's crazy.), or a bit over $21,800.

All in, I've paid a bit more than $26,600. If you subtract the $10,500 I've gotten back in credits and rebates and the money GM will repay me, I'll be getting back (in credits, rebates and from GM) $5,700 more than I've paid. That should cover all maintenance (roughly $0) and electricity for the car, with enough left over to maybe cover what I've paid in insurance. Looked at another way, if the EV credit comes back, $7000 federal plus $2000 state, plus $21,800 from GM could buy another Bolt LT with some left over after sales tax. Or, I could switch from a 2017 LT with 16,000miles and a $15,000 loan to a 2020 Premier with zero miles for about $1,500 plus a few thousand in sales tax.

Even if the calculator is off by a few thousand, I don't know how I can not take that deal. I can return the Bolt to GM now and live with one car (another EV naturally) until the federal tax credit comes back and then buy another Bolt or a Tesla, or a Kona and eliminate my car payment.

Sweet!
That all assumes that I pay the amount of expected credits and rebates when I buy the replacement car, but that shouldn't be impossible. Also, doing this will use up my eligibility for the state rebate, but it still seems hard to resist.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I’m wondering how you made out and how long it took ?
I am waiting on a call for a buy back on my ‘19 w/ 9k mi.
I could apply original MSRP towards any new Chevy or repurchase minus $3.4K for use.
I’m just waiting for resolution so I can buy another Bolt.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looking at car gurus today, there are dozens of new 2020 Bolt LTs for sale under $20K within 100 miles of my place in Colorado. So, how much is a 2017 worth when you can get a new 2020 for under $20K?
You’ll have to post those links. Even a “strippo” LT at ~$38k would need $18k+ in discounts to get under $20k. Not saying it’s impossible, but you’re likely talking about units ordered without DCFC (or any options whatsoever)! Very unappealing, and I could see some dealers offering max discounts on these to try to avoid being stuck with them later.

And then there are the dealers advertising false prices that don't include their outrageously high "processing fee" ($500-$999), the Destination Charge ($875), and your trade-in (where they give you $2000 for your $8,000 vehicle). Add all these amounts back in and you end up in the vicinity of $23k for a Bolt with anything on it.

Advertised price almost never equals actual purchase price.

·
Registered
462 Posts
so, anyone who is selling their Botls back... is interested in selling their false cargo floor?

·
Registered
784 Posts
NO ONE will get a buy back Unless you qualify for the Lemon law in Your state.

For those that said they Have or are talking to GM about this, Please list the state you are in and how long you have had your car and if you qualify for the Lemon law

21 - 40 of 46 Posts