Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those Bolt owners wishing to get a repurchase of their vehicle given the recall I would like to share my experience.

My process started with the EV chat because after numerous attempts on hold I could never get anyone on the phone using the EV Concierge line. I was told a repurchase wasn't an official option, but that GM was determining cases on a 1 on 1 basis. I asked if they strictly followed state lemon laws and they said they do not. That resulted in them acquiring basic information from me. They stated that they could not provide an exact time on when GM would reach back out to me on initial approval or denial, but they would as soon as possible.

After a week I got a call saying I would receive an email asking for more specific documentation and that I would receive either approval or denial within 7 business days. On the 5th business day I asked for an update with my assigned advisor and was told they had received my documentation, but hadn't started on it yet. Today is now the 7th business day without receiving an answer. I used the chat after the EV Concierge line was once again unavailable and my advisor's direct extension went straight to voicemail. I asked the chat agent for an update and they said I should receive an answer within the next 7 to 14 business days. After stating I was supposed to receive an answer by now they said the CA "California" teams are busy and everything is being delayed there. After stating I'm not located in CA they told me they assumed I was in CA. For reference I am located in Iowa.

At the initial chat I asked about incentives and all options GM is doing for their Bolt customers. No incentives, but I was told that a loaner was an option until a repurchase or module swap happened. After calling 3 different EV certified dealers none would offer a loaner to owners with Bolts dealing with the recall. When I told the EV agent this they told me I could go through a rental place and get reimbursed for rental and gas. They said they would not provide any rental insurance. I asked if I could get rental fee reimbursement in writing and was told no. However, they reassured me I would receive it within 60 days of receipt. I opted to not get a rental since there is no guarantee on reimbursement and nowhere has a comparable vehicle to rent in my area.

One of the biggest frustrations is getting lied to on the timing. GM really needs to provide more resources and take a more professional approach to this. Having an unreachable phone line isn't very customer friendly. My overall experience is one of the worst experiences I have had with any company I have ever worked with.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
For those Bolt owners wishing to get a repurchase of their vehicle given the recall I would like to share my experience.

My process started with the EV chat because after numerous attempts on hold I could never get anyone on the phone using the EV Concierge line. I was told a repurchase wasn't an official option, but that GM was determining cases on a 1 on 1 basis. I asked if they strictly followed state lemon laws and they said they do not. That resulted in them acquiring basic information from me. They stated that they could not provide an exact time on when GM would reach back out to me on initial approval or denial, but they would as soon as possible.

After a week I got a call saying I would receive an email asking for more specific documentation and that I would receive either approval or denial within 7 business days. On the 5th business day I asked for an update with my assigned advisor and was told they had received my documentation, but hadn't started on it yet. Today is now the 7th business day without receiving an answer. I used the chat after the EV Concierge line was once again unavailable and my advisor's direct extension went straight to voicemail. I asked the chat agent for an update and they said I should receive an answer within the next 7 to 14 business days. After stating I was supposed to receive an answer by now they said the CA "California" teams are busy and everything is being delayed there. After stating I'm not located in CA they told me they assumed I was in CA. For reference I am located in Iowa.

At the initial chat I asked about incentives and all options GM is doing for their Bolt customers. No incentives, but I was told that a loaner was an option until a repurchase or module swap happened. After calling 3 different EV certified dealers none would offer a loaner to owners with Bolts dealing with the recall. When I told the EV agent this they told me I could go through a rental place and get reimbursed for rental and gas. They said they would not provide any rental insurance. I asked if I could get rental fee reimbursement in writing and was told no. However, they reassured me I would receive it within 60 days of receipt. I opted to not get a rental since there is no guarantee on reimbursement and nowhere has a comparable vehicle to rent in my area.

One of the biggest frustrations is getting lied to on the timing. GM really needs to provide more resources and take a more professional approach to this. Having an unreachable phone line isn't very customer friendly. My overall experience is one of the worst experiences I have had with any company I have ever worked with.
As someone who has gone through this previously and going through it AGAIN, I can tell you that my previous experience was vastly different then compared to now. Things progressed fairly smoothly before, and promised timelines were more or less kept. I think they're dealing with a deluge of us just wanting out of the Bolt right now, for one reason or the other. I think much more Bolt owners were willing to put up with these shenanigans previously, obviously these tolerances have changed.

What is this EV chat you speak of? Also, although my calls to my "advisor" do go to VM, after multiple tries I am actually able to connect. They must be swamped, speaking with other Bolt owners in the same boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As someone who has gone through this previously and going through it AGAIN, I can tell you that my previous experience was vastly different then compared to now. Things progressed fairly smoothly before, and promised timelines were more or less kept. I think they're dealing with a deluge of us just wanting out of the Bolt right now, for one reason or the other. I think much more Bolt owners were willing to put up with these shenanigans previously, obviously these tolerances have changed.

What is this EV chat you speak of? Also, although my calls to my "advisor" do go to VM, after multiple tries I am actually able to connect. They must be swamped, speaking with other Bolt owners in the same boat.

Under "EV Concierge" they have a live chat.

·
Registered
440 Posts

I submitted my documentation mid July. I had to resubmit it two weeks ago when they switched me to a new case worker and he claimed everything was corrupted. They haven't been super responsive, but I've also never tried calling their direct line. I've heard from someone every week.

I heard that GM has hired an additional 150 people to field these calls. Apparently still not enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the chat today too and got stonewalled when voicing my concerns (park outside, two other gas using cars parked nearby in garage (fuel for fire), commute is 150 miles etc.). I stated I just wanted to turn it back in for something that gets 30 mpg. The rep stated they are not doing buy backs or trades. I pointed out there are a lot in the pipeline and I waited until I got the official Chevy email on Tuesday to state my concerns. That just got cheerful text response with links to local EV certified dealers that could do a long term loaner. I knew immediately what the result of that would be. I have driven by most of the local dealers in the last few weeks and they have a handful of cars at best. Most of them are probably the dealership employees cars.

I did check with the dealer that leased me the Bolt (they have at least two handfuls of vehicles) and they stated they have none available for long term loaners. Told me to I could get reimbursed if I rented one and they will even pay my gas. I did check the rental market up here in the NW and we seem well stocked with decent rates. So if Chevy makes an agreement with one of the big players that allows you to check out a car via certificate on your phone, I am up for that. Especially if they can figure out a virtual gas card. Putting it on the Bolt owner to enter a rental agreement, pay for it up front, pay for gas as you go, and then submitting it all for reimbursement, I think will backfire. I think a lot of people will take the easy route and ignore the letter.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I did check with the dealer that leased me the Bolt (they have at least two handfuls of vehicles) and they stated they have none available for long term loaners. Told me to I could get reimbursed if I rented one and they will even pay my gas. I did check the rental market up here in the NW and we seem well stocked with decent rates. So if Chevy makes an agreement with one of the big players that allows you to check out a car via certificate on your phone, I am up for that. Especially if they can figure out a virtual gas card. Putting it on the Bolt owner to enter a rental agreement, pay for it up front, pay for gas as you go, and then submitting it all for reimbursement, I think will backfire. I think a lot of people will take the easy route and ignore the letter.
I agree. I won’t trust them on the reimbursement at all. The only way I’d get into a loaner is if it came from a dealer, or was prepaid by Chevy to Enterprise / Hertz / Avis.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I did the chat today too and got stonewalled when voicing my concerns (park outside, two other gas using cars parked nearby in garage (fuel for fire), commute is 150 miles etc.). I stated I just wanted to turn it back in for something that gets 30 mpg. The rep stated they are not doing buy backs or trades. I pointed out there are a lot in the pipeline and I waited until I got the official Chevy email on Tuesday to state my concerns. That just got cheerful text response with links to local EV certified dealers that could do a long term loaner. I knew immediately what the result of that would be. I have driven by most of the local dealers in the last few weeks and they have a handful of cars at best. Most of them are probably the dealership employees cars.
What state are you in? The buyback offers and deals due to the original Nov 2020 battery fire recall varied a LOT depending on the state.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had told my phone not to ring for unfamiliar numbers so I just found an 8/30 call from my local Bolt dealer to call them, that GM had reached out to them about me. Hopefully they're up on current events but I'm surprised GM wouldn't begin with me rather than a dealer since we haven't progressed beyond my initial call and sending in the docs they wanted.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had told my phone not to ring for unfamiliar numbers so I just found an 8/30 call from my local Bolt dealer to call them, that GM had reached out to them about me. Hopefully they're up on current events but I'm surprised GM wouldn't begin with me rather than a dealer since we haven't progressed beyond my initial call and sending in the docs they wanted.
Sounds a little sketchy to me. Let us know what your dealer actually says.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We're all waiting honestly and the line for a repurchase/buyback is very large.

Related to that, does anyone know the phone number that the repurchase department will call you from? I tend to screen all my calls and obviously don't want to miss that one and have to call back (meaning another 2 week delay now).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

Under "EV Concierge" they have a live chat.
For those in California, I tried the chat at Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet was immediately told to contact the California team via 866-790-5600 and they were closed.

I tried 833-EVCHEVY and spoke to a human who already had my case from my failed attempt to get Will GM Give 2017-2019 Bolts The 2020 DCFC Updates? – All EV Info applied (which they denied months ago). I told them I'm interested in a buyback. The hold times for both weren't long.

They told me the California team is closed now and will be open 9 am to 5 pm Pacific time M to F. They said the CA team will call me within 5 business days. I already received an email from them about the call.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
They told me the California team is closed now and will be open 9 am to 5 pm Pacific time M to F. They said the CA team will call me within 5 business days. I already received an email from them about the call.
Be sure to have your photographed / scanned purchase / lease / finance / registration / title documents and odometer photo ready to reply with by email while you are on the phone with them, so that you can verify that they receive them before ending the call. Also, determine which Chevrolet dealers are acceptable turn-in locations (pick one, but also list others that you are willing to go to if the preferred one refuses). They are very willing to stay on the phone with you, but can be very difficult to call otherwise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I now have a repurchase agreement offer for a 2017 Bolt. It includes a $13,000 reduction from MSRP due to usage. I have 40,000 miles on the car and the Georgia lemon law uses 120,000 as the denominator to figure a percentage for reasonable use of a vehicle.

The GM rep (who has been polite and responsive) stated that they were preparing their offers “based on” lemon laws. But I am thinking this does not necessarily mean the lemon laws actually cover the situation. Georgia‘s law only covers a vehicle for 24 months. And while the law has remedies such as arbitration, I think it will be easy for GM to just say they were following it on their own — an arbitrator will say they have no authority to apply the law when it clearly doesn’t apply.

So I’m going to negotiate. The defects have been known for 9 or 10 of the 49 months I’ve owned the car. I don’t think that portion of the car’s life has had reasonable use. It has been impaired. So I would want back 20% of the calculated usage charge. I also want reimbursement for out of pocket costs: the charger, the extension cord, etc.

Any thoughts welcome. (Am picking up a new Niro EV next week so unfortunately this now is just haggling about money. Sad.)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Be sure to have your photographed / scanned purchase / lease / finance / registration / title documents and odometer photo ready to reply with by email while you are on the phone with them, so that you can verify that they receive them before ending the call. Also, determine which Chevrolet dealers are acceptable turn-in locations (pick one, but also list others that you are willing to go to if the preferred one refuses). They are very willing to stay on the phone with you, but can be very difficult to call otherwise.
Thanks for the tips.

I got that from earlier posts but I'm not sure I want to put the cart before the horse at this point. I'm pretty busy and would rather not go through all that if they're going to say no first. I'm not in a huge hurry as getting a replacement BEV that I'm ok with might be tricky anyway due to limited supplies.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I now have a repurchase agreement offer for a 2017 Bolt. It includes a $13,000 reduction from MSRP due to usage. I have 40,000 miles on the car and the Georgia lemon law uses 120,000 as the denominator to figure a percentage for reasonable use of a vehicle.

The GM rep (who has been polite and responsive) stated that they were preparing their offers “based on” lemon laws. But I am thinking this does not necessarily mean the lemon laws actually cover the situation. Georgia‘s law only covers a vehicle for 24 months. And while the law has remedies such as arbitration, I think it will be easy for GM to just say they were following it on their own — an arbitrator will say they have no authority to apply the law when it clearly doesn’t apply.

So I’m going to negotiate. The defects have been known for 9 or 10 of the 49 months I’ve owned the car. I don’t think that portion of the car’s life has had reasonable use. It has been impaired. So I would want back 20% of the calculated usage charge. I also want reimbursement for out of pocket costs: the charger, the extension cord, etc.

Any thoughts welcome. (Am picking up a new Niro EV next week so unfortunately this now is just haggling about money. Sad.)

I'm personally sorta fine with the usage charges. Maybe it's because mine has very low mileage, but that's just because I barely drove it (covid/work from home currently) and it makes sense to me.

I suppose I view this like the generous Costco return policy. Someone uses a product for 4 years, said it broke now and it's clearly heavily used, but feels it's their right since it broke (products don't last forever).

The Bolt is a strange case, but from I've seen, very high mileage cars are probably better off with a swap (not very possible now) or a new battery. If we were to extrapolate your situation and someone had 150,000 miles on the bolt, sorta wonder if it's right to expect no or very little usage deduction.

Also, since you mention Georgia's law is only 24 months, it's a GOOD thing that GM will repurchase things outside of 2 years since even in CA, it's only 18 months. It could be argued this problem was known and they kept it hush hush for longer to drag it outside of lemon law time frames and the battery is such a basic component that the time shouldn't apply, especially for something so serious, esp since the warranty on the battery is 8 years/100k miles, but I'm not a lemon law attorney to how this can be argued in court.

Like you, I just want my buyback to be done already...I don't have an offer or anything yet.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
...It could be argued this problem was known and they kept it hush hush for longer to drag it outside of lemon law time frames...
The Bolt became available in December 2016, and the first fire occurred on March 17, 2019. The 2019 model with US made batteries were assembled as least as early as January 2019 and the first fire in a US made battery pack occurred on July 25, 2021.

So such a conspiracy theory may require a little bit of clairvoyance on the part of GM.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
The Bolt became available in December 2016, and the first fire occurred on March 17, 2019. The 2019 model with US made batteries were assembled as least as early as January 2019 and the first fire in a US made battery pack occurred on July 25, 2021.

So such a conspiracy theory may require a little bit of clairvoyance on the part of GM.
Well, that's a tad over 2 years and very good to know that if my Bolt has a faulty cell, it is now within the time frame of catching on fire.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Well, that's a tad over 2 years and very good to know that if my Bolt has a faulty cell, it is now within the time frame of catching on fire.
The first fire was in March 2019, and the next fire didn't occur until September 2019, 6 months later. The next fire after that didn't occur until June 2020, 9 months later. Then there were 9 fires from June through November 2020. That is also the time (November 2020) when GM announced the first recall.

An individual fire, or even 2-3 fires spread out 6 to 9 months, may not indicate a pattern. There are car fires for a variety of reasons, and of the 19 Bolt fires listed by @Sean Graham at Electrek, I believe GM has only confirmed roughly 10 as being due to a battery defect.

So for me, one or two cars catching fire 6-9 months apart wouldn't have said to me, "There's a defect! Don't buy this car!" If that were the standard, no one would buy any car. Instead, the issue with the Bolts probably wouldn't have been obvious until the fall of 2020, nearly 4 years after initial release. That's precisely when GM announced the recall.

That's why I don't think there was a conspiracy at GM to delay their allegedly clairvoyant knowledge of the problem until after the lemon laws expired. I think no one realized there was an issue with a battery defect for almost 4 years. Also, the fact that they seem to be following lemon law formulas in the buyback process, despite the fact that those laws wouldn't apply for most owners, seems to contradict that conspiracy theory as well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts