Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
While other states specify 120k and some here would insist a million miles basis, 100k looks reasonable to me as that matches the battery warranty - the longest part warranty in the Bolt.
The California lemon law specifying the calculation based on 120,000 miles was enacted in 1970, when you were probably quite lucky (and obsessive with maintenance) to have a car last that long. Now, it is not that unusual to go well beyond that mileage in a car.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Only one dealer had a person who handled MSRP buybacks (for some reason it was the service manager, maybe he had little else to do?).
I got a call from someone other than the original salesman when they got the package from GM and I later found out it was the service manager, who handled the signing over of the check and the Bolt. Then I was was handed back to the salesman to continue with the replacement vehicle part.
sales person said I would get the current Chevy $1000 off promotion. But I later found out that wasn't true from the repurchase agent
Yeah, I was told that too originally but I looked in the email from repurchase agent and it was clear that discounts wouldn't apply. I'm okay with missing out on $750 in incentives and get full credit for the $16k of incentives on the Bolt and have zero usage deduction.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to think about that some more. But I'll still say that GM does all it can to make the usage fee higher than it should be when you consider the other factors I mentioned.
What state are you in? Some lemon law states usage is based on the time you initiated the case.
OK, I agree that the initial mileage submitted should be used for the calculation for 'customer satisfaction' reason. It is not your fault that it took so many months for them to process the paperwork. But then, GM can counter with usage is usage.
Looks like the GM rep is reading this part correctly.

A reasonable allowance for use is the amount directly attributable to use by the consumer or any previous consumer prior to the consumer’s first written report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, its agent, or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service for repair.

Have you done a long term analysis?

• Let's say your GROSS purchase was $50K and NET purchase price was $40K and you currently have 20k miles. Your buyback would be $40K.
  • Now, you sell it back to GM for $40K and put in another $10K to get a new EV. You've now paid $50K to get 120k battery-warranty miles and endure another first giant year depreciation on the new EV. And be locked in to NMC battery. This is my hesitation in getting a new EV now and am considering replacing battery in the fall (currently eligible for new battery).
  • OTOH, if you decide to wait a year for battery swap and you drive another 10k miles, you've effectively paid $40K to get 130k battery-warranty miles and much lower next year depreciation. Even better if you rack up some miles doing rideshare and getting battery replaced when you hit 50k miles... $40K for 150k battery-warranty miles. Or if you get tired of the Bolt, you can switch to a newer EV with newer chemistry... maybe LFP, Sodium Ion? Semi-solid state with 5 min charging? Maybe battery swapping for 5 min road trip stops - think rebadged Nio EVs (meaning Toyota)?
  • The best outcome would be if your state lemon law says there are no usage deduction in the 'replacement vehicle' option. And now you've paid $40K for 120k battery-warranty and also get a new Bolt EV/EUV. :)

Lots to think about if your interest is not wasting money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally had some small movement this week after a month-long pause due to the hosting dealer I was referred to backing out of their agreement to host my swap.

Received a first call from RVDC on Monday saying they were going to try and get my original selling dealer to host.

This was followed-up with an e-mail from the same person yesterday saying the store agreed. The e-mail specifically instructs me to contact the line salesperson by name who handled my original purchase, (so I tend to believe it since RVDC could only have gotten that name from the Chevy store).

The ball is now back in my court to choose and order a vehicle. The store has nothing in stock or transit I'm interested in, (and even if they did, I wouldn't trust them to hold it).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just a milestone marker from me. Entered the repurchase group Nov 1 and today got the email asking for the 6 photos, copy of back of title, etc. so they can finalize their offer to send to us. 21F tomorrow but I'll run it through a carwash since the photos will show the car is like new.

·
Registered
66 Posts
threeputtsMN8/22/21never12/10/2112/10/211/7/211/22/21
Notes: After zero contact for several weeks despite promise of weekly communication I filed a complaint with the state AG office on 10/14. Received response 10/28 with forwarded letter from GM stating they would repurchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turned in the keys today. 2020 Premier. Offer was very good. They paid for the purchase price plus interest paid on my loan plus the gap I bought minus the mileage deduction. Process went well. Drop off took about 15 minutes. Check in hand. Loved that car. Will stay electric. Picking up a MYP tomorrow. Excited to see all the electric cars coming this year and next. Lots of great models to choose from. Overall glad I spent two years with it to get the experience. This forum helped me a lot.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Bolt LT
99 Posts
Just a milestone marker from me. Entered the repurchase group Nov 1 and today got the email asking for the 6 photos, copy of back of title, etc. so they can finalize their offer to send to us. 21F tomorrow but I'll run it through a carwash since the photos will show the car is like new.
I took my pictures during a freezing rain storm. I think I washed the car 3 times in the 10 months I’ve owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

101 - 108 of 108 Posts