Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Atter seeing DEVBOLT's thread on his Lane Keep Assist not working, I'm wondering if mine is also broken.

I believe I ONCE felt the wheel "rumble" when changing lanes, but have not experience anything since, other than seeing the onscreen alert change color.

Does this give a physical or audible signal. Has anyone experienced it attempt to "auto-correct?"

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Atter seeing DEVBOLT's thread on his Lane Keep Assist not working, I'm wondering if mine is also broken.

I believe I ONCE felt the wheel "rumble" when changing lanes, but have not experience anything since, other than seeing the onscreen alert change color.

Does this give a physical or audible signal. Has anyone experienced it attempt to "auto-correct?"
When you hit the LKA button on the lower left of the steering wheel does the button light up or do you get a message that says "Lane Keep Assist Unavailble"? I'm getting the message of denial when I press the button.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V7i7c, can you describe what "works" mean? Is there a tactile feel or a sound? Or is the car just readjusting on its own (with or without your hands on the steering wheel)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a great video that shows that my Bolt does not beep or light up when drifting over lines.

BRO1999, I've two questions: 1) Were your hands "off" the steering wheel when it "alarms" and 2) What is the message that is flashing on the screen (it is hard to tell on the video)?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
This is a great video that shows that my Bolt does not beep or light up when drifting over lines.

BRO1999, I've two questions: 1) Were your hands "off" the steering wheel when it "alarms" and 2) What is the message that is flashing on the screen (it is hard to tell on the video)?
1. Yes. The Bolt usually won't signal an audible/visual alert unless your hands are off the steering wheel.
2. Says "Take Steering"

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
1. Yes. The Bolt usually won't signal an audible/visual alert unless your hands are off the steering wheel.
That seems awfully dumb to me. I doubt that distracted drivers would take their hands off the steering wheel, and that would be the prime case for lane keep assist to prevent an accident.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
That seems awfully dumb to me. I doubt that distracted drivers would take their hands off the steering wheel, and that would be the prime case for lane keep assist to prevent an accident.
I mean there may be cases it does, I just haven't observed them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought I'd give this a try on my way to the airport today. I tried this with both Android Auto active, and without, just in case it might override some audio feedback.

Activating lane keep happens without errors

After reaching a certain speed, and having actual lane markings, the logo on the display appears in green. If, with hands on the wheel, I drift towards the land divider, the icon on the display will turn orange, but nothing else.

If I set the car to drift towards the lane markings, and take my hands off the wheel, as the car crosses the line (I could feel the Botts dots), the steering corrected me back into the lane. If I let it go to a second time (this was on a curving stretch of highway), the wheel corrected again, and I got an audible warning chime. There was never a voice prompt. This happened while drifting left and right, with and without AA engaged.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread makes me nervous! I picture someone testing the "safety" feature by taking hands off the wheel and then real disaster takes place.

So I withdraw my original request. (I joke and also not joke.)

Based on the feedback, I really see this as a weak feature.

My other car is an Acura that has lane departure warning (annoying buzzer) and corrective steering that is a bit more interactive (you can feel it gently correcting the drive in curves).

Sounds if the Bolt is just a wanna be.

That's okay, as this is not the reason we bought the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
This thread makes me nervous! I picture someone testing the "safety" feature by taking hands off the wheel and then real disaster takes place.

So I withdraw my original request. (I joke and also not joke.)

Based on the feedback, I really see this as a weak feature.

My other car is an Acura that has lane departure warning (annoying buzzer) and corrective steering that is a bit more interactive (you can feel it gently correcting the drive in curves).

Sounds if the Bolt is just a wanna be.

That's okay, as this is not the reason we bought the car.
Maybe I didn't make this clear in my previous posts, but LKA works with your hands ON the wheel too...pretty much just like you describe with your Acura (nudges you back towards the center of the lane).

There are times in the video that LKA kicked in with my hands on the wheel, but you wouldn't be able to tell since there were no audible/visual cues. This is something that you can only really experience firsthand driving, as even if I recorded my hands on the wheel, it would look like I was just steering normally.

If your hands are OFF the wheel and LKA kicks in, that's when it will start beeping at you to take the wheel.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Maybe I didn't make this clear in my previous posts, but LKA works with your hands ON the wheel too...pretty much just like you describe with your Acura (nudges you back towards the center of the lane).
OK, that's the critical piece of behaviour. I doesn't matter if there are no alarms or indicators because you'll be able to feel it through the wheel. But as long as it doesn't passively let you drift into the next lane (unless you signal the lane change) then it's doing what it should be doing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
In my tests today, the LKA only seems to work occasionally, that is show up green on the display. Maybe the lane markers suck in California. A few times I got it to beep at me by taking my hands off the wheel and drifting out of the lane. No evidence it tries any correction, but then I didn't want to crash just to test it. I agree it is close to useless. Even if you fall asleep and the wheel, your hands are probably still on the wheel.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought I'd give this a try on my way to the airport today. I tried this with both Android Auto active, and without, just in case it might override some audio feedback.

Activating lane keep happens without errors

After reaching a certain speed, and having actual lane markings, the logo on the display appears in green. If, with hands on the wheel, I drift towards the land divider, the icon on the display will turn orange, but nothing else.

If I set the car to drift towards the lane markings, and take my hands off the wheel, as the car crosses the line (I could feel the Botts dots), the steering corrected me back into the lane. If I let it go to a second time (this was on a curving stretch of highway), the wheel corrected again, and I got an audible warning chime. There was never a voice prompt. This happened while drifting left and right, with and without AA engaged.
I did a follow-on test last night, returning from the airport. I verified that, in my case, LKA does provide corrective action with my hands on the wheel, although it is very subtle. If the wheel feels any pressure from me at all, it will back off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi,
New Bolt owner here (4/13/17) and was playing around with the LKR feature and overall thought it was fairly useless. I did not buy the car for this feature so it doesn't matter to me but, there was another downside not mentioned in the notes above. Here are my observations:

* I notice a large spike in power consumption when turning this feature on. It was more than double (maybe three?) times the non LKR kwh consumption. It makes sense that in turning on this feature the car is activating cameras, processors and servos all designed to keep the car in it's lane. I think that it may be using as much power as turning on the heating system.

* I enjoy driving and am a safe driver. I do not drive with my hands off the wheel. However, if tired or distracted, with my hands on the wheel, I can drift. The feature doesn't kick in under these conditions.

* I let the car drift on it's own and I was surprised that the car drifted over the botts dots about a foot before gently being steered back. Going one foot into the wrong lane is not acceptable. The car needs to adapt much earlier so that the driver can react pro-actively.

* Overall, I think they tried to solve a realistic problem but did so in an ineffective manner. Doesn't work and I wouldn't use it because of the power consumption.

SFT

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Hi,
New Bolt owner here (4/13/17) and was playing around with the LKR feature and overall thought it was fairly useless. I did not buy the car for this feature so it doesn't matter to me but, there was another downside not mentioned in the notes above. Here are my observations:

* I notice a large spike in power consumption when turning this feature on. It was more than double (maybe three?) times the non LKR kwh consumption. It makes sense that in turning on this feature the car is activating cameras, processors and servos all designed to keep the car in it's lane. I think that it may be using as much power as turning on the heating system.

* I enjoy driving and am a safe driver. I do not drive with my hands off the wheel. However, if tired or distracted, with my hands on the wheel, I can drift. The feature doesn't kick in under these conditions.

* I let the car drift on it's own and I was surprised that the car drifted over the botts dots about a foot before gently being steered back. Going one foot into the wrong lane is not acceptable. The car needs to adapt much earlier so that the driver can react pro-actively.

* Overall, I think they tried to solve a realistic problem but did so in an ineffective manner. Doesn't work and I wouldn't use it because of the power consumption.

SFT
I don't think the increased kWh consumption you saw can be directly attributed to the use of LKA. Now that my LKA system is working properly, I haven't seen any increase or decrease in my miles per kWh efficiency. It's pretty much the same as before.

What I have noticed is that the better the lane markings, the better the system works and will activate earlier to correct any drift going on. We have some crappy roads around here and the lane markings are almost nonexistent. On those roads, LKA it doesn't work so hot. Other roads have much better markings and the system response more quickly and accurately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my Bolt today and tried LKA. Comparing it to a similar feature in the Audi, I feel the LKA in the BOLT has a bit of lag. The correction only kicks in when you have started entering the other lane. Wonder if there is a way to change settings so that it kicks in a bit sooner.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Just got my Bolt today and tried LKA. Comparing it to a similar feature in the Audi, I feel the LKA in the BOLT has a bit of lag. The correction only kicks in when you have started entering the other lane. Wonder if there is a way to change settings so that it kicks in a bit sooner.
LKA is either On or Off... those are your only options... no adjustments can be made.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've "played" with LKA too. It's very subtle, but if the indicators are green it does work for me. I've yet to figure out exactly what causes the indicators to go yellow. It seems to be different combinations of lighting (I don't think it likes driving straight into the sun) and poorly maintained markers. I think that overall it's a useful feature, but should be considered a back up. Just hope it works if you really need it, but don't treat it like it's supposed to drive the car.

I test drove a Volt with LKA before getting the Bolt and it had a much more aggressive response. I'm not sure which I like better. The Volt could rather take one by surprise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts