Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the battery system upgrade listed below done today.

I now notice a high pitched whine in the drive unit, estimate about 1khz. I can hear it in the cabin and I can hear it under the hood when in gear near the 12v battery. I suspect it is the traction motor drive unit, but I never noticed it before the update.

<ahem> someone left the USB drive in the car, so I've dutifully copied the files. I'm posting them on dropbox for any who wish to "look" at them. My internet connection is slow, so give it a little bit if all the files haven't uploaded yet. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6z826okmehg12v/AAAKC46vKPUD_oIN7Xwx4DeLa?dl=0

the files are:
indication.16008332.0
update\4249071.bin
update\42671559_CPU.bin
update\42671559_OP.bin
update\42671559.mnf
update\42671559.smd

I don't know what these files do or mean, but perhaps they are useful to someone. I don't want to spook anyone, but use at your own risk... all I can tell you is these were on the flash drive the tech left in my center console.

N172127150
Date Issued:
Apr 05, 2018
Program Title:

Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification - Expires 4/30/2020

Program Description:

Certain 2017 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition where the calibration will not detect the difference in the state of charge between the cell groups of the battery. This condition may not provide sufficient warning prior to a battery cell low voltage condition, which may result in a loss of propulsion. Only certain vehicles will experience the battery low voltage cell condition.

Repair Description:

Reprogram hybrid powertrain control module 2.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I hope you returned it to him because he may get fired as a result of losing it and what about other people who need the update.

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

I now notice a high pitched whine in the drive unit, estimate about 1khz. I can hear it in the cabin and I can hear it under the hood when in gear near the 12v battery. I suspect it is the traction motor drive unit, but I never noticed it before the update.

<ahem> someone left the USB drive in the car, so I've dutifully copied the files. I'm posting them on dropbox for any who wish to "look" at them. My internet connection is slow, so give it a little bit if all the files haven't uploaded yet. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i6z826okmehg12v/AAAKC46vKPUD_oIN7Xwx4DeLa?dl=0

the files are:
indication.16008332.0
update\4249071.bin
update\42671559_CPU.bin
update\42671559_OP.bin
update\42671559.mnf
update\42671559.smd

I don't know what these files do or mean, but perhaps they are useful to someone. I don't want to spook anyone, but use at your own risk... all I can tell you is these were on the flash drive the tech left in my center console.

N172127150
Date Issued:
Apr 05, 2018
Program Title:

Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification - Expires 4/30/2020

Program Description:

Certain 2017 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition where the calibration will not detect the difference in the state of charge between the cell groups of the battery. This condition may not provide sufficient warning prior to a battery cell low voltage condition, which may result in a loss of propulsion. Only certain vehicles will experience the battery low voltage cell condition.

Repair Description:

Reprogram hybrid powertrain control module 2.
I’ve always noticed the sound the motor makes, my Bolt isn’t silent. It’s not unpleasant or overly loud, but it can be heard. I’m not talking about the low speed pedestrian warning sound, it’s the motor or drivetrain that emits the sound.

I would be surprised if a software update designed to better monitor battery performance has affected the drive motor in any way, but stranger things have happened.

By the way, how did you check out the sound under the hood with the car in gear? That doesn’t sound safe to me!

167 Posts
I believe that software is propietary , copyright and patent protected. It is also easily sent over the internet to all dealerships handling Bolt EV's. This update situation and its effects are troubling and interesting. I do not want or need an info screen freezing or a high pitched 1khz whine from my electric drivetrain. I am fully maintenance capable and can rotate, balance and relearn tires, thank you.
Why is it necessary to comply with these updates if they do more harm then good? Together coupled by maintenance actions that are now questionable.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I belie ve that software is propietary , copyright and patent protected. It is also easily sent over the internet to all dealerships handling Bolt EV's. This update situation and its effects are troubling and interesting. I do not want or need an info screen freezing or a high pitched 1khz whine from my electric drivetrain. I am fully maintenance capable and can rotate, balance and relearn tires, thank you.
Why is it necessary to comply with these updates if they do more harm then good? Together coupled by maintenance actions that are now questionable.
I don’t know of any requirement to get these updates done. They’re not safety recalls. Even if they were, unless you visit the dealer or allow the OTA update nothing will get changed.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In most cases it's not necessary to get a recall or other fix completed. In my last car (Audi A3 Scandalwagen) I was "forced" to take the car to the dealer to have an update performed in order to renew my registration but I can't see how that model would be applied to the Bolt since that was an emissions thing.

Of course if you have an open recall (or similar type repair order) and you bring your car to the dealer for any reason you are likely to have the update applied for you whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

the files are:
indication.16008332.0
update\4249071.bin
update\42671559_CPU.bin
update\42671559_OP.bin
update\42671559.mnf
update\42671559.smd

Those are the 14.5 Radio Update software files, the battery SW is not installed via USB port.
Someone was nice enough to upload it last week (https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...83&parId=BEDC812B90A95057!21637&action=locate), you can compare your files to the onedrive files... same files.
Thanks for sharing though :D

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I've always noticed a slight resonance at about 38-39 mph that sounds like some gear box noise. Which is a high pitch whine as you described. Speed up or slow down and the whine goes away. Only occurs at a little bit under 40 mph. Most all rotating machinery have resonances that exist at different RPMs. As an example, flew a Grumman Tiger years ago with a 180 hp Lycoming that had an RPM to avoid on the tach. That was a little more serious than just a high pitched whine.

167 Posts
I wish we could further identify which car battery cell build dates or lot numbers were involved so far with the propulsion battery sudden syndrone being reported by multple early 2017 models in this forum. Would be good to know that the LG and GM engineering deficiency analysis folks can reach some findings, determinations and solid recommendations about exactly who is at risk besides GM.
I hope there's no fatal flaw with those LG 288 landscape cells like dendrites forming between the anode cathode and shorting the cell ---nightmare!
My advice to owners facing loss of Bolt EV is to hack the 30 day Lemon Law clock if it happens within warranty and prepare for it happening when your 80K 8 years expires and is no longer in force.
My advice for late build date 2017 Bolt EV owners is to hang tight and rotate, rebalance, relearn the tires with inspections until this software update from foggy bottom has run its course of either salvation or destruction...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The Gen I Volt had the whine too, it's actually a bit less noticeable in the Bolt IMO.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’m not talking about the low speed pedestrian warning sound.

never heard that sound yet from mine... or I am not paying attention or the soundproof being in the cabin is really good.... what is it? a whistle? bells? music? beeps?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
never heard that sound yet from mine... or I am not paying attention or the soundproof being in the cabin is really good.... what is it? a whistle? bells? music? beeps?
Are you referring to the "low speed pedestrian warning sound"?
If you want to hear it... power up the Bolt, open your windows and shift from Park into D or L while keeping your foot on the brake to stop the car from moving. If you then shift back into Park the sound will stop.

·
Registered
836 Posts
The whine is the inverter, I believe.

Reactions: NY-Rob

·
Registered
158 Posts
ai4px is not crazy...The whine is very faint and very short in duration. I did both the radio and battery updates today.

This noise was not there before. It almost sounds like it is coming from the passenger side door speaker. Like some sort of interference coming through the speaker...

It is hard to pinpoint.

As far as the update goes, no other issues to report other than hilltop reserve turned off and a few other resets.

I'll investigate it further and report if I find anything...

·
Registered
1 Posts
That whine is normal in all EV's. I also have a Leaf and it is louder in the Leaf than my Bolt. BTW, I just got my Bolt 2 weeks ago and I got the recall on the battery issue too. If this has been going on all last year, why is it still an issue? Something doesn't make any sense? I really hate for anyone to mess with my 'new' car, everything works perfectly, I don't want to chance the dealership messing it up, although it makes me nervous that my car could, without warning, just stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your phone and computer do updates all the time. Do you fret over those as well?

This update is GM trying to be proactive on a problem that could be an unpleasant experience if you are out on the road and the pack fails.

What we don't know is how many Bolts could really have this issue.

The only real concern I have is that they are updating all 2017 Bolts. I thought it was just a small number of early build cars.

When I get the notice, I will have it done.

Jim I - Very Happy 2012 Volt & 2017 Bolt Owner

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
2017 Premiere. Got the letter, then immediately went looking for the update availability in the Settings menu. Nothing new for a few days, then it reported that there was an update available. I accepted, and did what it said. Now it's at 14.5.0C. Haven't noticed anything different so far.

I'll take it to the dealer for the battery software upgrade in a few months (with the 7500 mile service), *after* the "recalled recall" stuff sorts itself out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.