Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

RKE Strangeness

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ProVega350 
#1 ·
Today after driving and having lunch, we returned to the car, unlocked the car (by pressing the button on the door handle) and opened the door, only to have the car alarm go off. I silenced the alarm by pressing the lock/unlock button on the remote (I meant to press unlock, but flustered I pressed lock first, then unlock, although lock seemed like it silenced the alarm).

Trying to start the car, it claimed that there was “No RKE detected” and refused to start. This was odd because both of us had a key with us, and neither was being detected.

I put my key in the “magic holder” in the center console and the car started. We drove to the grocery store, and arriving I tested again. Without the key in the magic holder the car would not restart and the doors would not lock by just pressing the door button. Just in case it might help, I rebooted the infotainment system before exiting the car. The car did lock pressing the lock button on the key fob.

After getting groceries, the car unlocked and drove away like nothing had ever been wrong.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

#4 ·
Interference is a common issue and has nothing to do with batteries. Signal can be blocked
by all sorts of other signals. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't continue often.

#6 ·
Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

Not with my Bolt but in 4 years with previous non GM vehicle experienced exactly what you have described.
In 4 years happened maybe 15 times for no apparent reason. Never told anyone, never did anything about it and it never went further as a problem.
Ignored,:confused: it became a non-issue, forgotten until now.

#9 ·
I have experienced this issue with another brand of auto. It seemed the problem was caused by interference with my cell phone - both the phone and the fob were in close proximity. Since you had both fobs with you this was probably not the cause of your problem. But you might want to check this out.

#10 ·
Vertifomed mentioned that he had BOTH RKE fobs with him at the same time: one in his pocket and one in the passenger's possession. Could this contribute to the problem? The RKE system uses a constantly changing access code for security reasons: perhaps the system was confused by the two RKE fobs. The RKE link isn't just an 'on command' system: as soon as an RKE fob gets near the vehicle, the two start talking, without any button being pushed.

Personally, I (almost) never use the RKE fob buttons to lock or unlock anything on the vehicle. I use the buttons on the doors or rear hatch. I usually let my Baby Bolt lock itself.

I recently had a similar occurrence with my Bolt LT. I had the RKE fob in my pocket. The alarm went off when I pushed the driver's door button. I pushed the 'unlock' button on the RKE fob, and the alarm stopped sounding. There has been no further trouble. It's possible that some button on the RKE fob was pushed when it was in my pocket when I pushed the door button. I have not replaced the battery in the RKE fob since I received the vehicle about a year ago.

Reactions: SeattleRic
#12 ·
In our case, we had two phones, two tablets, and two key fobs. Plus I have a small Fenix L0D LED flashlight on my keychain that had somehow been turned on, as it was on with its AAA battery was run down at the end of the day. So there are lots of culprits for interference.

#13 ·
This has happened a couple of times to me as well. My guess was we both hit the button on the handle at close to the same time. One of us opened the door at the same time it was alarmed by the other. Probably easy to reproduce if that is it. Same issue after alarm silenced but can’t start car and fob not detected. It is as if the fob detectors get disabled if the car alarm is set off in this manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.