Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
$5k more than S just for the Falcon wings...Not sure how well the model X will sell. The uncertainty seems to be reflected in their stock prices because their shares fell more than 2%.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that the Model X costs more because it has more storage space as well. SUVs of that size usually cost more than sedans so I don't see a problem there. I agree that the doors are just doors, but I mean they aren't a bad thing. They bring a very distinct personality to the vehicle, and at the price point they are putting it at, that is important.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wouldn't mind paying $5 more to go that direction and I can imagine that being the case for a lot of people already considering the Model S or something similar in price. Breaking it down to monthly payments... it's easy to absorb.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yea, I saw that tweet. Is it going to be more of a small CUV as opposed to the X which is a full SUV? I am curious how the more mainstream Tesla models will do. They will have to be relatively expensive still. SO more mainstream may still be fairly high end.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mainstream tesla models should do well since Tesla did well with setting the stage and overall image of the brand for this moment when they're ready to push high volume products. So far they seem to be on the right track to me.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Many may not see it but how does the rear passengers get out if the Model X suffers a roll-over and lands on its roof? I suggest supplying an emergengy hammer under the front seats or console to knock out a side window because having five passengers trapped (and hanging upside down) is terrible!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Many may not see it but how does the rear passengers get out if the Model X suffers a roll-over and lands on its roof? I suggest supplying an emergengy hammer under the front seats or console to knock out a side window because having five passengers trapped (and hanging upside down) is terrible!
It is something to think about, but not something I am overly concerned about. I do wonder if there is something already built into the Model X to take care of this because Teslas get really good safety ratings usually. Perhaps the windows pop out with an emergency button, like in a bus.

·
Registered
639 Posts
First responders could always break the window to get the door open. They could even cut the door open with the jaws of life if need be.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did find this article on Model X safety features. Nothing on the doors in the event of a roll over, but good info nonetheless.

Musk started the demonstration off with a long discussion about the safety of the X, saying it was the first SUV that gets five stars in every crash test category. One reason for this is that there is no gas engine in the front of the vehicle. With the heavy battery placed so low in the vehicle, there is also a very low chance of a roll-over, he said. With the car's massive air filter, Musk said that the X has a "Bioweapon Defense Mode" that will protect you against different bacteria, gases, and possible apocalyptic scenarios. In other words, this will protect you against all sorts of possible problems.

Musk also showed off the SUV's Falcon Wing doors, which he said have sensors that can see through the metal and then adjust how high the door opens depending on the height of the garage ceiling. They also can open up even when parked incredibly close to neighboring cars, as Musk demonstrated on stage. Musk said the X is capable of towing 5,000 pounds while carrying seven people and a lot of luggage. If you don't want to tow, you can put on a Tesla-designed accessory hitch that can carry up to four bikes or six sets of skis. This is important, because the X can't have a roof rack with the Falcon Wing doors.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Good point there about weight that will help in keeping it planted. And come to think about it, it takes quite a lot to roll a vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts