Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Not quite sure where to put this one. Was wondering if it's just my Bolt or if anyone else has the issue. If I'm going 40 eMPG or more and roll down the windows, there is a loud whipping sound as air must try to be entering the car and exiting. Sort of like a flag blowing in a strong wind? It's very annoying and quite unbearable. I know its more economical to leave the windows up when driving (and the car is pretty quiet that way) but I have a couple of dogs I cart around with me and with the windows up sometimes *PeeU it smells.
:0)

Also,
It's more enjoyable for them to stick their heads out the window.
I have stock tires and rims so I don't think the road noise would be from the tire tread? Definitely seems like wind noise to me.
Thanks
DAVE

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Hello,
Not quite sure where to put this one. Was wondering if it's just my Bolt or if anyone else has the issue. If I'm going 40 eMPG or more and roll down the windows, there is a loud whipping sound as air must try to be entering the car and exiting. Sort of like a flag blowing in a strong wind? It's very annoying and quite unbearable. I know its more economical to leave the windows up when driving (and the car is pretty quiet that way) but I have a couple of dogs I cart around with me and with the windows up sometimes *PeeU it smells.
:0)

Also,
It's more enjoyable for them to stick their heads out the window.
I have stock tires and rims so I don't think the road noise would be from the tire tread? Definitely seems like wind noise to me.
Thanks
DAVE
Most all cars have this problem at some speed. As pressure fluctuates between high and low with air entering and exiting the car, it sets up a wave form that gets amplified much like a musical wind instrument. The solution is usually to adjust the window openings, or the car's speed to break the synchronicity that causes the amplification. Try playing with various window settings on all four windows, or varying the speed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You'll need to open the rear windows to alleviate the pressure buffeting. If not, you could blow a window out if it gets bad enough. All cars are subjected to this symptom. Some are not as noticeable as others.

I always roll the rears down as much as the fronts. You can roll the fronts down 100% as long as you have at least 3 inches in the rear for an exhaust/pressure relief to eliminate the buffeting.

Small cars with big cabins have the highest likelihood of this symptom. My Ford C-Max Energi
had the same symptom. Seems like hatchbacks and sedans are more prone to this, but I have
experienced this on coupes too. In a coupe, you need to limit the opening of the windows.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This definitely isn't Bolt specific and I think the above comments answered the questions pretty accurately. Just to chime in my own experiences, having owned several coupes and driven many other vehicles, this is a common "problem" or occurrence across the board and isn't Bolt specific at all.

Equalize the pressure, and all should be well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello All,
I guess I've never noticed this before (I've always owned older quad cab pick up trucks and a Toyota Yaris 2 door). You "nailed" that sound I'm hearing so I know you guys must be right.
Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
DAVE

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I open (partially) one front window (mine if driving solo) and the opposite rear window. This "smooths" the flow and helps a great deal (minimal noise at 60 mph).

·
Registered
17 Posts
"It's more enjoyable for them to stick their heads out the window."

Maybe a little off topic but their heads out the window isn't the best for healthy eyes, ears and noses. But wow what a rush of smells they must get and try to decipher!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts