Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to drive from Oregon to Toronto this summer. Charging is obviously going to be the main issue.
I've heard that Petro Canada has installed DCFC chargers at some of their stations to form a cross
Canada network. If this network is reliable, it would relieve the anxiety of running out of juice. Has anyone
used this network successfully to do a long trip? Is there another option in Canada?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Shouldn't have any problems. This guy did it a few months back in his Taycan. The reason he did the route you are considering is because the Canadian network is better than the US.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
...Petro Canada has installed DCFC chargers at some of their stations to form a cross Canada network. ... Has anyone used this network successfully to do a long trip? Is there another option in Canada?
I haven't done a long trip on Petro Canada chargers, but I did get to use one for the first time in Hope, BC a few weeks ago. It worked fine, and it was nice because they had two stations and they're charging money for them. There are a lot of free DC fast chargers here in BC, but the downside is that there tends to be EVs camped out on them all the time.

TOT is right about Plugshare - it shows you where the fast chargers are (you can set the filtering options to show only the CCS fast chargers that fit your Bolt), how many stations there are (always nice to have multiple stations in case one is busy or broken) and a rating with comments that you can use to help judge how reliable it's likely to be.

When I bought my Bolt in 2017 there were some large gaps in the Prairies and around northern Lake Superior where you'd probably have to plan for overnight stays at an L2 charging locations. But now it looks like you can make it all the way on DC fast chargers.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I'm hoping to drive from Oregon to Toronto this summer. Charging is obviously going to be the main issue.
I've heard that Petro Canada has installed DCFC chargers at some of their stations to form a cross
Canada network. If this network is reliable, it would relieve the anxiety of running out of juice. Has anyone
used this network successfully to do a long trip? Is there another option in Canada?
I'm curious why you think charging is going to be the main issue. It's a 2,500+ mile trip. That's challenging in and of itself. In fact, your biggest challenge is probably that the border between Canada and the United States might not be open in time for your trip, which limits your route options.

As it stands, your fastest trip will probably be through the United States (I-84 to Salt Lake City, down to I-70, and connect up with I-80 after Denver). There's plenty of coverage along that route, especially if you aren't trying to do the trip in two days or some similar breakneck speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious why you think charging is going to be the main issue. It's a 2,500+ mile trip. That's challenging in and of itself. In fact, your biggest challenge is probably that the border between Canada and the United States might not be open in time for your trip, which limits your route options.

As it stands, your fastest trip will probably be through the United States (I-84 to Salt Lake City, down to I-70, and connect up with I-80 after Denver). There's plenty of coverage along that route, especially if you aren't trying to do the trip in two days or some similar breakneck speed.
I'm now putting the trip on the back burner due to the border situation. I'll feel lucky if I can get a camping trip in this summer :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts