Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I did a round trip from Grants Pass, Oregon to Freeland, Washington - about 465 miles each way. I inflated the tires to 44 PSI, the outside temperature was in the upper 40's lower 50's, and I wore long underwear. Rainy conditions about 25% of the trip - I coated the windshield with Rain-X and never used the windshield wipers. Most of the distance was at ~60 mph in "D". 99% of the time I used the heated seat and steering wheel, rarely using resistive heating except to de-fog the windshield.

Outbound heading north from Grants Pass, Oregon, I stopped at the Red Lion Hotel in Salem, Oregon at 206 miles with about 50 miles remaining. Fortunately the CCS was open but the CHAdeMO side was ICED (see photo). The charging session cost $20.78 because Red Lion added a $11.00 station parking fee (see photo).

My experience is that the Bolt will reliably provide a 250 mile range per charge. I traveled from Whidbey Island 225 miles south to Tigard, Oregon with 40+ miles remaining (see map photo). During the trip, my biggest concern was arriving at a DC Fast charging station and finding another EV occupying the space or being ICED.

The on board Wi-Fi was a plus. And the ride was totally comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Last weekend I did a round trip from Grants Pass, Oregon to Freeland, Washington - about 465 miles each way...
Great report, thanks!

The charging session cost $20.78 because Red Lion added a $11.00 station parking fee (see photo).
There's another 50kW (500V/120A) DC fast charger in Salem at Roth's Fresh Markets. I'm pretty sure there's no parking fee there.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
$11 bucks for parking 2 hours? That's like downtown Seattle parking. What a rip. Did that ICE vehicle pay for parking too? I double they charge guests of the hotel a parking fee.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
$11 bucks for parking 2 hours? That's like downtown Seattle parking. What a rip. Did that ICE vehicle pay for parking too? I double they charge guests of the hotel a parking fee.
I'm going to assume that "double" in your post is a spell-check abomination of "doubt", and I agree. The point of the parking charge is probably to dissuade non-guests so that people staying at the hotel can be more assured of being able to charge. That's not an unreasonable policy for a hotel - some put their chargers inside a gated parking structure. The fact that the charger is publicly available and that you can use it for a price in a pinch is a plus, IMHO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red Lion, Salem, Oregon, $11.00 station parking fee. When I plugged in, I never noticed any signs stating additional fees. The parking fee only came to my attention when ChargePoint emailed the itemized charge receipt to my phone after the session ended.
READ THE FINE PRINT - Taking a second look at PlugShare for this location, it does have "Cost - $0.20/kWh plus $0.10/min ".

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm going to assume that "double" in your post is a spell-check abomination of "doubt", and I agree. The point of the parking charge is probably to dissuade non-guests so that people staying at the hotel can be more assured of being able to charge. That's not an unreasonable policy for a hotel - some put their chargers inside a gated parking structure. The fact that the charger is publicly available and that you can use it for a price in a pinch is a plus, IMHO.
Not a spell check error, just an error between my brain and fingers. >_< You make a good point about deterring general public to guarantee guests have access. They don't have to make the charger public and that they do is nice. I'm now okay with this.

Red Lion, Salem, Oregon, $11.00 station parking fee. When I plugged in, I never noticed any signs stating additional fees. The parking fee only came to my attention when ChargePoint emailed the itemized charge receipt to my phone after the session ended.
READ THE FINE PRINT - Taking a second look at PlugShare for this location, it does have "Cost - $0.20/kWh plus $0.10/min ".
Sucks that we have to rely on PlugShare or the Chargepoint app to get prices. Why can't the chargers include a readout display with its prices? Wouldn't seem too difficult to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts