Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is it going to be before the politicians realize that they are losing tax revenue as EV's proliferate and both Federal and State gasoline tax receipts take a hit?

Any math whizzes out there? - need a figure on what the loss is on Federal gasoline tax for an EV doing 10K miles a year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
How long is it going to be before the politicians realize that they are losing tax revenue as EV's proliferate and both Federal and State gasoline tax receipts take a hit?

Any math whizzes out there? - need a figure on what the loss is on Federal gasoline tax for an EV doing 10K miles a year.
California figured it out some time ago. An increase in gas and registration taxes goes into effect today. The registration changes are differential for BEV's.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109824_even-california-imposes-new-fee-on-electric-cars-in-lieu-of-gas-taxes

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The loss is dependent on what the EV is replacing. The lost tax revenue is greater if you would have otherwise driven a Hummer compared to a Prius.

Most states have discussed the lost revenue due to EVs, but it's not much of a problem as EVs account for less than 1% of vehicles on the road. Perhaps when 5% of vehicles are EVs, states will need a solution for the lost revenue.

Here's what the EIA says the tax is on a gallon of fuel

Gasoline Diesel
Federal 18.40 cents 24.40 cents
Average of state taxes 27.85 cents 28.62 cents

·
Registered
862 Posts
Federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon (unchanged since 1993). The average new car gets 26 mpg (as used in the EPA fuel usage calculations for the Monroney sticker).

10K miles/26 mpg = 385 gallons
385 gallons * $.184 = $71/yr

·
Registered
544 Posts
Federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon (unchanged since 1993). The average new car gets 26 mpg (as used in the EPA fuel usage calculations for the Monroney sticker).

10K miles/266 mpg = 385 gallons
385 gallons * $.184 = $71/yr
Seems like Virginia used similar math to come up with a replacement tax for gasoline tax losses from electric vehicles. We have to pay $64 a year that gets collected when we renew our registration.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
And if you drive 12K/year @ 24 mpg, you pay $92. Yes, we use the roads, too. And, if the gas tax funds road improvements, you need a way to calculate and collect our fair share. The question is, is the State pushing/supporting/underwriting the conversion to pollution-free EVs? Does the EV “registration fee” really go to road improvements? Does tobacco tax pay for lung cancer research/treatment? Do ICE drivers pay for COPD care? I fear the answers may be no, no, no, & no.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
WA charges $150 and if you're unlucky to live along the transit corridor for ST-3 (a huge public transit combining rail and bus routes spidering off from rail stations), your excise tax will be based off a ridiculous depreciation scale. It's our fault, though, we fell for some idiot named Eyman who got us really cheap registration renewals and now, we're making up the deficit.

I think I paid $650 a few months ago for my 2017 Volt. That really hurt considering I just traded up to a Bolt. >_<

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I drive 20K miles a year for commuting to work. In my Prius that gets 50 MPG, that’s 400 gallons of gas. At 30 cents a gallon, that’s $120 in gas taxes I’d be paying. Paying $100 in lieu of gas taxes for my EV is a bargain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts