Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just picked up my new Bolt this morning and already am in love.

Wondering if I could get some advice on the type of 240V outlet I should put in for charging? I'll be honest, I'm beyond a novice when it comes to this stuff and Rochester has talked big about becoming electric friendly, but I've yet to see the infrastructure impress me.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the conversations.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
A full power 240 volt EVSE (charging cord) will draw 32 amps on 240 volts, which requires a 40 amp circuit breaker. Some models and brands come with a heavy duty plug, rather than wire in permanently, which makes them portable, to be used at camping sites, etc.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Decide on the EVSE you want and that will determine the outlet you install.

I love my (portable if necessary) Siemens VersiCharge (not the WiFi enabled). The bracket is nice, it was easy to install, and it has worked flawlessly. The standard VersiCharge plug is the NEMA 6-50 (240 volt, two "hot" prongs & the ground prong). Almost all RV campgrounds (all KOA campgrounds) have NEMA 14-50 all-weather outlets so they can get both 120 volt AND 240 volt circuits. {PlugShare filters for NEMA 14-50 outlets.} Many home EVSEs utilize a 14-50 plug. I opted to make a short (8') extension cord (10-2 w/ground) with a 6-50 receptacle and a 14-50 plug (only the two "hot" prongs {AND the ground} are connected, but not the "neutral"). This has worked wonderfully @25 mpch (miles per charging hour) when I am back in the mountains and there are RV parks but NO charging stations.

Good luck. You will do fine. (Just don't let an electrician charge you an arm & a leg for a "big toe" job!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
;)I see you have solar panels in one of your photos. As a minimum, you need a 32A, preferably a 40A EVSE (50A circuit) to take advantage of your Bolts highest charge rate. Your have two out three, you're almost there.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So forgive me as I show my ignorance, but the acronyms mean nothing to me. I have a friend that is an electrician so I know I won't get screwed on the installation, but I'm just trying to figure out what I need him to install. I'm hearing a 240V outlet with 32A, then and EVSE (I'm assuming this is a special Charging system?) additionally to connect to that outlet?

I had a guy with a Volt tell me he uses a charge adapter which connects your regular charger to the 240V and it worked well (I would post a link but I can't yet). Reading info though seems that it doesn't push all the amperage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So forgive me as I show my ignorance, but the acronyms mean nothing to me. I have a friend that is an electrician so I know I won't get screwed on the installation, but I'm just trying to figure out what I need him to install. I'm hearing a 240V outlet with 32A, then and EVSE (I'm assuming this is a special Charging system?) additionally to connect to that outlet?

I had a guy with a Volt tell me he uses a charge adapter which connects your regular charger to the 240V and it worked well (I would post a link but I can't yet). Reading info though seems that it doesn't push all the amperage.
Congrats on the new Bolt!

EVSE stands for {electric vehicle supply equipment} it is partly a communication device that allows your Bolt call for power from the unit on the wall through the cable that plugs into the car. A unit is required because you can't just plug in to an outlet, the EVSE regulates how much current is sent to the car's onboard charging system as the car calls for power. The Bolt is supplied with a small Level 1 unit that will plug into a standard 120v outlet, this only allows you to charge, at most, about 4 miles of range every hour. A Level 2 EVSE will charge about 25 mile in that same hour; it runs off of a 240v circuit.

There are many Level 2 Units available. I have a Juice Box Pro 40 from emotorwerks.com; there are also ones from Clipper Creek, Bosch and several others. There are two ways these can be hooked up to your house system. Some units will wire directly into your breaker panel, others will plug into a 240v outlet. I choose to have my Juice Box unit configured with a type 14-50 plug, which is what is typical in RV parks, so I can take the unit off the wall and take it with me if I want to go on a road trip. Then I had my electrician install an weather protected outlet on the wall of my house where I wanted to place the EVSE. Your electrician friend can help you decide how best to install yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts