Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I'm not pretending to be an expert at EV wiring harness repairs. Nor am I trying to say I know better than the trained technicians at a dealership. So nope, not projection.
The projection being alleged, I believe, is that you feel some of the other posters are subject to the Dunning Kruger effect - i.e., they are less knowledgeable than they think, perhaps because you yourself don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on whether or not a simple repair is feasible. The point is that just because you're unsure doesn't mean that other people who are more sure are wrong.

All folks can do is make a judgement based on the photo you've shown. And on the basis of that photo I agree that it does look like a simple splice could solve the problem. If there's more damage elsewhere then of course that opinion wouldn't be applicable. You can't blame people for not accounting for an issue that they're not told about.

In the absence of other information, all we know is that a simple splice might solve the problem and save a whole bunch of money. And if it doesn't, then you haven't really lost much and can still go ahead and replace the whole harness.

It's kind of a no-brainer IMHO, at least it would be if I was going to be the one paying for it. But if it's the insurance company and you only have to pay a deductible (and if a claim isn't going to increase your rates) then I can well understand why you'd want to leave it to a pro.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The projection being alleged, I believe, is that you feel some of the other posters are subject to the Dunning Kruger effect - i.e., they are less knowledgeable than they think, perhaps because you yourself don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on whether or not a simple repair is feasible. The point is that just because you're unsure doesn't mean that other people who are more sure are wrong.

All folks can do is make a judgement based on the photo you've shown. And on the basis of that photo I agree that it does look like a simple splice could solve the problem. If there's more damage elsewhere then of course that opinion wouldn't be applicable. You can't blame people for not accounting for an issue that they're not told about.

In the absence of other information, all we know is that a simple splice might solve the problem and save a whole bunch of money. And if it doesn't, then you haven't really lost much and can still go ahead and replace the whole harness.

It's kind of a no-brainer IMHO, at least it would be if I was going to be the one paying for it. But if it's the insurance company and you only have to pay a deductible (and if a claim isn't going to increase your rates) then I can well understand why you'd want to leave it to a pro.
I understand that. And I suppose I should have put more emphasis on those pointing out that there may be more going on than we can see. It is just the certainty by which somebody feels they can diagnose a car via a single picture that got me fired up. Isn't there ALWAYS more going on than we realize?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
607 Posts
I think we're all going on what the OP said and the green circle. It's kind of beating a dead horse at this point but it's been said throughout the thread, "as long as it's all we're seeing."

You were defending 90% being labor or something for the harness as an explanation. That's a $540 set of wires and $4860 install. That's the only thing anyone is taking issue with.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think we're all going on what the OP said and the green circle. It's kind of beating a dead horse at this point but it's been said throughout the thread, "as long as it's all we're seeing."

You were defending 90% being labor or something for the harness as an explanation. That's a $540 set of wires and $4860 install. That's the only thing anyone is taking issue with.
I'll pull out the same approach then. "If" the harness needs to be replaced, that is probably not too far off.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll pull out the same approach then. "If" the harness needs to be replaced, that is probably not too far off.
$200 for the drive motor compartment entire wire harness. I seriously doubt a labor charge of $5K

I go two estimates for my chewed wires, one from a body shop that is fixing some front end road debri damage, and another from a dealer. They came in within $5 of each other, $115 versus $120.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
$200 for the drive motor compartment entire wire harness. I seriously doubt a labor charge of $5K

I go two estimates for my chewed wires, one from a body shop that is fixing some front end road debri damage, and another from a dealer. They came in within $5 of each other, $115 versus $120.
I never pretended to know about this particular harness. Instead, I mentioned (in my original post) that "some" wiring harnesses legitimately do require gutting the vehicle because of where they run. In my time writing service at an actual GM dealer, I have seen more than one wiring harness replacement that ran up a mind boggling bill. Thankfully, those I can think remember covered by warranty.

It is when people started looking at a single picture and assuming they new what would fix the vehicle that I got upset. Because they don't know. But I am not going to make this any sillier than it already is. I'll leave this one alone from here on out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got my Bolt back from the body shop today, with a new wire harness installed, rather than some spliced wires. The total ended up being $340, including labor. So it was more than the original estimate, but nowhere near $5K.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Earth friendly insulation means tasty to animals.

I was volunteering at Laguna Atascosa NWR. As we got closer to the area we'd see people with lights under their cars in the few houses along the way. When we pulled into the RV area we noticed that every RV and vehicle had lights underneath. Thought it was an odd thing to do but one guy wandered by and told me I'd better do it also. He said it keeps the swamp rats from eating the wiring. Next day I was talking to a guy with a new 1 ton Dodge. He said he didn't put a light in the engine bay and had to order a new harness and have it delivered.
Hope Elon has lights under his space launch stuff nearby.
This Old House did a job in NYC. They asked why all wires were in emt. They said rats.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Seems strange that no one mentions the dealership might just be trying to cash in. GM has no problem splicing wires on the dealership level. I had right headlight wires chewed and fixed this way. My complaint was they just went ahead and did it and never asked me. A lot harder location than this repair too.
I also wonder at what point the car is totaled insurance wise. We are talking a fix 1/4 the used value of the car!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Seems strange that no one mentions the dealership might just be trying to cash in. GM has no problem splicing wires on the dealership level. I had right headlight wires chewed and fixed this way. My complaint was they just went ahead and did it and never asked me. A lot harder location than this repair too.
I also wonder at what point the car is totaled insurance wise. We are talking a fix 1/4 the used value of the car!
They might be, but I would expect an insurance company would require SOME sort of evidence before approving a repair of this size. At very least the insurance company will need pictures. And I suspect they would ask many of the same questions that posters have mentioned.

I think the gold standard for totaling a vehicle is 70% of current market value. That might vary between insurance companies

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have rats under the hood and inside the car. They chewed a fair sized hole in the backseat. I’ve tried flashing lights that emit a sound, sprayed peppermint spray over surfaces all with no luck. Finally resorted to traps and have killed three so far. But I need to figure out where they are getting access to the inside to stop the damage.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
607 Posts
I have rats under the hood and inside the car. They chewed a fair sized hole in the backseat. I’ve tried flashing lights that emit a sound, sprayed peppermint spray over surfaces all with no luck. Finally resorted to traps and have killed three so far. But I need to figure out where they are getting access to the inside to stop the damage.
At a certain point, it's not shameful to admit defeat and move on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to my Honda Clarity. Woodchuck chewed a wiring harness that ran a long way and required a ton of labor to replace, about the same cost as OP.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
$5400. Dollar sign goes BEFORE the amount. That seems like a huge amount for some fluid and a hose. They are ripping you off for sure.

Most cables and hoses now have that soy ingredient in them. It attracts rodents like crazy and I am pretty sure the companies do this on purpose to make sure that they can get you into the garage a lot more. It sure wouldn't surprise me in the least. LOL!!!!!!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts