Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experienced this? I had the "Service Vehicle Soon" light come on...it's the lower RH warning light. I called On Star and after a fairly long wait was able to get this from Advanced Diagnostics "Through your recent On-Demand Diagnostic, OnStar detected an issue with VIC - VEHICLE INTEGRATION CONTROL with your The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle. 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV.

The code(s) and explanation(s) associated with this issue is/are:

P0534 The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Hybrid Battery System which is a high voltage battery used to propel your vehicle."

I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow but they won't know anything about a Bolt, though they do have one Volt Technician

110 mile used, 75 miles range showing. Temps were -5 ish this AM, in the sun all day and PM temps at 20 or so. It was running fine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There was a reported "some Bolts (up to 100) may have problems with their main battery". The topic popped up a few months ago.

Also, having a bad (low) 12V accessory battery can cause all kinds of weird stuff to happen - make sure the dealer checks the 12V battery (checks voltage and does a load test)!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

I spoke with the Helena Chevy dealer, where I bought the car and also got the car into the Butte dealership for a scan. The Butte dealership does not have a Bolt technician but the scan seemed to reveal an issue with AC...somehow related to the battery. ?Ultimately it's all related to the battery and the heating system seems to work fine, though with the colder weather I'm doing mostly heated steering wheel, seats and recirc. At any rate the general conclusion was that as long as the warning light is lit but not flashing it should be fine to drive. It's running fine, charging, regen all working well and it looks like I might get over 200 miles range on this charge, which I think is pretty good for solid winter driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I spoke with the Helena Chevy dealer, where I bought the car and also got the car into the Butte dealership for a scan. The Butte dealership does not have a Bolt technician but the scan seemed to reveal an issue with AC...somehow related to the battery. ?Ultimately it's all related to the battery and the heating system seems to work fine, though with the colder weather I'm doing mostly heated steering wheel, seats and recirc. At any rate the general conclusion was that as long as the warning light is lit but not flashing it should be fine to drive. It's running fine, charging, regen all working well and it looks like I might get over 200 miles range on this charge, which I think is pretty good for solid winter driving.
Cool, but what are they doing to actually fix the problem? :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll run it up to Helena next week for them to do a detailed look. I'm wondering if it isn't a sensor somewhere as everything seems to be doing what its supposed to.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Weird interdependency of AC and the battery system. Thank you for contributing your lessons!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Weird interdependency of AC and the battery system. Thank you for contributing your lessons!
I saw a mention of this with someone else's warning. The AC is used to chill the coolant loop in extremely hot weather. I doubt that is happening this week. Maybe the AC condenser frosted up when running the defroster in this very cold weather, and the battery system checks it for proper function, and threw a faulty, even though it wouldn't be using it for months.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gone

And then just as mysteriously as it appeared, I gave it a brushless wash to get some grime off and after driving away I noticed the light had gone off?? So, back to normal I guess. It's been running great when the the light was on so who knows? I had scheduled tentatively a trip up to Helena to the dealership so that's off, for now any way. It's been running/driving/regen great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just searching the forums today after we had a similar service light come on the dash, and then later the light is back off. It was 102 degrees here in SoCal today and for the first time in quite a while I noticed that the extra noise from the battery cooling system was running when we got home. I plugged in the Bolt and it continued to run for a while in the garage. We still have to schedule an appointment with the dealer to do the "Loss of propulsion high voltage battery without notification" service. That will be the first time this 2017 Bolt with 33,000 miles will go in for any issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And then just as mysteriously as it appeared, I gave it a brushless wash to get some grime off and after driving away I noticed the light had gone off?? So, back to normal I guess.
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life... and the same thing JUST WORKED for us!! Our "Service Vehicle Soon" light came on yesterday. I did a search of the forums. Found @Tokodave's ridiculous solution and thought, 'Well, that's not what fixed it.' Buuuuuuuut, we just finished a fairly salt-laden roads road trip, and thought, 'Can't hurt though.' So my wife washed the car today (and in the interim called the chevy dealership and tried OnStar (which didn't help because they couldn't give us any data at our level of membership)), and a few minutes later... voila! The light was off. What the actual F!? I'll come back here if there are any developments, but anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why this happens? Or is it just two wild coincidences?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Gone

And then just as mysteriously as it appeared, I gave it a brushless wash to get some grime off and after driving away I noticed the light had gone off?? So, back to normal I guess. It's been running great when the the light was on so who knows? I had scheduled tentatively a trip up to Helena to the dealership so that's off, for now any way. It's been running/driving/regen great.
Out of curiosity did the warning message ever come back, did they ever replace the pack?

·
Registered
652 Posts
This is why I got an OBDII adapter and Torque Pro. If this happens to me, I want to be able to actually look at the cell voltages, read codes, etc. myself. That way I'll know if I'm getting the smoke treatment if I take it to the dealer and they claim "We can't find anything wrong". I've seen it too many times here, where someone notices reduced range and the dealer claims all is OK, yet you can clearly see in Torque Pro where one cell is bad.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts