Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I live on a small island in the Pacific Northwest. We have LOTS of EVs here on the island (mainly Tesla, but quite a few older Bolts, a couple of EV6 and numerous hybrids). We’ve been a Land Rover and Subaru family for over 20 years. We’re waiting on a new SUV which we’ve ordered - Ineos Grenadier. It doesn’t arrive until next year so we thought we’d take the plunge and get our first EV. Looked at everything and eventually settled on the EUV Launch Edition (the Launch Edition wheels look better than any of the other options). If this car works out well it’ll go to our youngest daughter as her first car in a few years. Gas here on the island is a bit more than on the mainland (or “in America” as we say on the island), but not quite to California prices or anything. Needless to say we’ll be happy to charge up and use this car for heading in to clinic and zipping around town to our favorite beaches and hiking spots here. We appreciate all the great info we’ve found on the forum here. Never owned a Chevy or even considered one, but this looks like a fun car to try out.

Here’s a pic of our little town. We can only get “to America” by ferry (which you can see docking in the pic below) or plane (float or ground).

Water Sky Water resources Vehicle Aircraft

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,179 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the San Juan Islands are lovely. Heaven help you if Washington State Ferries has a breakdown, though. It seems you all get the worst of any failures. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the San Juan Islands are lovely. Heaven help you if Washington State Ferries has a breakdown, though. It seems you all get the worst of any failures. :D
Thanks for the welcome.

When one ferry fails they get another in place pretty quickly. That happened just last week due to an incident with the anchor. It doesn't bother us though since we'll just fly. It's only about 50 min down to Seattle by plane.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,179 Posts
Yeah, Kenmore Air does a great job all around the area. I know there used to be some other airlines within the islands, but I don't know for sure who else flies up there anymore. When ZSE gave the Paine Field airspace to Seattle TRACON, I never saw the traffic between the Islands and the Seattle area any longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Kenmore Air does a great job all around the area. I know there used to be some other airlines within the islands, but I don't know for sure who else flies up there anymore. When ZSE gave the Paine Field airspace to Seattle TRACON, I never saw the traffic between the Islands and the Seattle area any longer.
Yep, Kenmore is fantastic. That's our go to but there are others. We also have one of the highest per capita concentration of pilots anywhere in the US. I've had a few retired commercial pilots tell me they end up retiring here because they all see "the hole" while flying over for years (meaning the rain shadow that keeps our weather FAR better than the Pacific Northwest average makes a fairly consistent hole in the cloud cover above us). Flying and ferries are a part of life here. Helps keep us from getting overly crowded as well. Some can't handle the moat.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,179 Posts
Yeah, the rain shadow over that area does surprise many people. As does the Puget Sound Convergence Zone that can make Seattle nice and clear, but 10 miles north of the airport it's a wall of cloud and nasty. I've lived in this area my whole life (68 isn't that far away!), and the weather never ceases to amaze me at times. I had to go to the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City to see what a "real" thunderstorm was like, though. We just don't get them like that here!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the rain shadow over that area does surprise many people. As does the Puget Sound Convergence Zone that can make Seattle nice and clear, but 10 miles north of the airport it's a wall of cloud and nasty. I've lived in this area my whole life (68 isn't that far away!), and the weather never ceases to amaze me at times. I had to go to the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City to see what a "real" thunderstorm was like, though. We just don't get them like that here!
Yeah, we rarely get exciting storms. We lived for many years in Boulder. Great storms there. Grew up in Louisiana (New Orleans weather needs no commentary). Lived in the Hudson Valley and Maine as well. This weather is literally the best anywhere. Always mild; never hot. Never cold. At least to us.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,179 Posts
What is the electric rate on the islands?
Most of western WA is in the low teens. I have a two tier rate. The first 400 kWh are around 8 cents, then it goes to 11. Most of our electricity is renewable, either hydro, wind or solar. There's one remaining coal power plant in the state, and it will be shut down in 2025. Nat Gas provides a fair amount as well, but still under half the total.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Most of western WA is in the low teens. I have a two tier rate. The first 400 kWh are around 8 cents, then it goes to 11. Most of our electricity is renewable, either hydro, wind or solar. There's one remaining coal power plant in the state, and it will be shut down in 2025. Nat Gas provides a fair amount as well, but still under half the total.
Is that OPALCO? Not too shabby for island electricity.

I’ve got Clark PUC and pay 8 cents per kWh.

Tiered pricing for all utilities makes sense to me. Make the first units of consumption cheap so low income people can get their needs met, and ramp up price as luxury consumption increases.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yeah, we rarely get exciting storms. We lived for many years in Boulder. Great storms there. Grew up in Louisiana (New Orleans weather needs no commentary). Lived in the Hudson Valley and Maine as well. This weather is literally the best anywhere. Always mild; never hot. Never cold. At least to us.
Exactly why I want to retire out there on the sound. Best weather (and views) in the US, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly why I want to retire out there on the sound. Best weather (and views) in the US, in my opinion.
It literally is. We've been all over the world and there's no place like this. We love the Sound as well. Technically it's south of us. The body of water we're in is the Salish Sea. It all runs together though.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
1,792 Posts
Wow how do this many people know about this airline?! I thought I was a huge weirdo when I went to a wedding in Canada and was super excited about the trip specifically because of the planes.

Seriously, so strange, there's only so many passengers they can even carry. Bolt owners filter well for sea planes for some reason.

Sky Aircraft Monoplane Airplane Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow how do this many people know about this airline?! I thought I was a huge weirdo when I went to a wedding in Canada and was super excited about the trip specifically because of the planes.

Seriously, so strange, there's only so many passengers they can even carry. Bolt owners filter well for sea planes for some reason.

View attachment 42405
Float planes and the Pacific Northwest just go together. All these mountains and water. We love to hike and camp and get to out of the way places. There's nothing quite like water take offs and landings.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts