Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wellp, all up to the black box data now. Something does sound funny though and I wanna say I think it was the wife... wish I could go there and play CSI :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read through that whole thread, and unless there was some weird glitch, I think mtndrew1 had it right:

"My hypothesis here is that you didn't fully engage Park, forgot to shut off the car's power switch, shut the door, and then you walked away. The car chirped the horn to alert you of the problem and you assumed it was chirping to tell you the doors were locked. Like the Volt, after a period of time, the Bolt might shut off the ignition by itself if left in a running state unoccupied. The car would now be powered down and in Neutral, allowing for either slight movement or other outside influence, all the while you assumed the door was locked and the car was in Park."

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are ways to put the car in "Car Wash Mode" which is in Neutral with the car mostly off, but the procedure is complicated enough that it would be hard to do it unintentionally.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I suspect as others that either wife screwed up, or the husband, or both and they are trying to CTA now, but either way this is significant for Chevy. I'm pretty sure that the couple didn't do this for publicity, or in any way intentionally, so GM has to figure out how somebody can screw up this bad and what failure of safeguards allowed this to happen. I think what's unique about EVs is, they make no noise even when they are "armed" and ready to drive. Only some lights and displays alert you.

Does the Bolt creep backward when in reverse like it does forward in drive? The damage to the Bolt and the workbench is so minimal, it looks to me it may have creeped back into it. Either that or somebody just screwed up.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
So we have 2 basic theories as to what happened:

1: the Bolt turned itself on, shifted into reverse, crashed into a workbench, and then turned itself off and put itself back into park in the seconds it took his wife to rush into the garage and find out what the sound was.

and

2: Wife was screwing around with his Bolt because it was new, didn't know how to use the shifter and accidentally crashed it into the workbench, then crafted some story of the Bolt going Skynet to save face. Hubby believes his wife's account 100%, so contacts GM.

There is also a 2(a) theory of the wife's secret lover "checking out the interior" with her, but that's more or less covered in 2. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

1: the Bolt turned itself on, shifted into reverse, crashed into a workbench, and then turned itself off and put itself back into park in the seconds it took his wife to rush into the garage and find out what the sound was.

and

2: Wife was screwing around with his Bolt because it was new, didn't know how to use the shifter and accidentally crashed it into the workbench, then crafted some story of the Bolt going Skynet to save face. Hubby believes his wife's account 100%, so contacts GM.

There is also a 2(a) theory of the wife's secret lover "checking out the interior" with her, but that's more or less covered in 2. ;)
Sorry, there is a theory #3 :

·
Registered
100 Posts

Where's the voting..... I say 2a.. :D

If the car had a summon feature whereas the car could turn on, release, drive, then there may be something to go on...

I would like to see software updates to improve things, but I'm wondering if that is wishful thinking. Cars are not like phones, they won' t just update us with neat new features.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Where's the voting..... I say 2a.. :D

If the car had a summon feature whereas the car could turn on, release, drive, then there may be something to go on...

I would like to see software updates to improve things, but I'm wondering if that is wishful thinking. Cars are not like phones, they won' t just update us with neat new features.
Actually, this car can supposedly. It is supposed to be able to do updates over the internet I think. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm not sure what happens if you don't get a data plan for your car over the LTE network and you don't subscribe to On Star, or XM. I guess you don't get updates? If the car is working great, it could be a good thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Actually, this car can supposedly. It is supposed to be able to do updates over the internet I think. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not. I'm not sure what happens if you don't get a data plan for your car over the LTE network and you don't subscribe to On Star, or XM. I guess you don't get updates? If the car is working great, it could be a good thing.
Just because they can doesn't mean they will..

Automakers would just assume wait a year and put it in the next model, rather then support people that already bought their product.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just because they can doesn't mean they will..

Automakers would just assume wait a year and put it in the next model, rather then support people that already bought their product.
The way i've seen it play out time and again is they just do what's enough to start and then when the time is right (competition gaining too much momentum, competition planning for something, etc.) then they start to give us certain things we wanted since day 1.

It sucks but that's how the game is played. :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is Theory 4:

A "Gremlin" sent by the Tesla fanboys>:) to do that!

·
Registered
735 Posts
There is Theory 4:

A "Gremlin" sent by the Tesla fanboys>:) to do that!
Hopefully it's not some AI Gremlin that will learn on its own different ways to mess with us and doesn't just stick to what it was programmed for :D

OR it's one of those Chinese EV car brands sending over gremlins

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
bump. any word on this?
i read elsewhere that GM engineers were at the house for 4 hours and got data...but?
Assuming the engineers found what I think they should have found, I don't expect that guy to ever post again. Lol

·
Registered
735 Posts
Assuming the engineers found what I think they should have found, I don't expect that guy to ever post again. Lol
I'm going to assume an NDA was involved ;)

If there's anything Chevy doesn't need right now its bad press and this is sure to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts