Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! I live outside of Philadelphia, drive a Toyota Prius, and am stoked that a domestic union-made EV is finally at our fingertips. Last time I was in the market no American cars cracked the top 10 Consumer Reports list for reliability (in the small car category) and continental hybrid options were non-existent. I felt forced to choose environmental footprint and longevity over American jobs and, I'll admit, even though I was doing the planet (and my pocketbook) a solid the decision ate at me.

Since then I've kept rough tabs on EV developments--until the Bolt got on my radar, that is, and I allowed myself to get really excited. I was on my way home from Florida, passing through Georgia, when I started imagining how manageable the journey would be without an internal combustion engine via PlugShare. At the time I didn't consider the incompatibility of the various networks and naively assumed the time for long-distance EV travel had already arrived. Yet learning of the very real barriers to electrifying the American road trip hardly dimmed my enthusiasm; the more I read the more I got behind the Bolt!

Despite inferior infrastructure to the Tesla (and my own occasional job requirements to travel well beyond 238 miles in one day), I am ready to get on board. Please, West Coasters, do not eat up all the allocations; the Mid-Atlantic region needs EV's, too!

Cheers,

(Call me) Sed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome fellow Keystoner. This is a friendly and very helpful forum as you'll find out. My wife has the Prius in our family and while I marvel at its efficiency it truely is a transportion device. With the low center of gravity and wider tires I'm hoping that the Bolt will handle a lot better.
Again, Welcome.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Charging infrastructure is one of those things we discuss here and I think it comes down to pre-planning your route so you can hit a charger for those days when you travel beyond the Bolt's maximum charge.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums ! I think with that range of driving you do for commutes, this should work out ideally for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm DEEPLY disappointed the Bolt won't be sold in the Pennsylvanian Commonwealth this year, but won't be deterred. OldGuy71, if you have any insights on where to go outside the state please let me know!

·
Registered
639 Posts
That being said with some alternatives on the market it will be interesting to see what people get instead of the Bolt if they're not willing to wait, there's only so long someone can wait.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is for "sedulous". I'm too much of a nerd to know how to send a private note. However I think Maryland is a CARB state. They may get Bolts before our backward state. Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Over at the Leaf forum there are a lot of current and former Prius drivers. It seems the Prius is the "Gateway Car" to driving an EV. And the Prius PHEV (aka Prius Plug-in) is the methadone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome fellow Keystoner. This is a friendly and very helpful forum as you'll find out. My wife has the Prius in our family and while I marvel at its efficiency it truely is a transportion device. With the low center of gravity and wider tires I'm hoping that the Bolt will handle a lot better.
Again, Welcome.

You can count on the Bolt accelerating a lot better, which will be fun. 0-60 is in the low to mid 6's.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm DEEPLY disappointed the Bolt won't be sold in the Pennsylvanian Commonwealth this year, but won't be deterred. OldGuy71, if you have any insights on where to go outside the state please let me know!
If you are willing to buy a Bolt sight unseen, there may be some "loose" Bolts being delivered to CA/OR dealers you may still be able to snag. Otherwise, it's wait till next year. :crying:

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you are willing to buy a Bolt sight unseen, there may be some "loose" Bolts being delivered to CA/OR dealers you may still be able to snag. Otherwise, it's wait till next year. :crying:
Those being demo's and Bolt's that corporate might have been using will be hard to come around but whoever puts themselves out there, asking around, and asking the right people should have the best luck at scooping up one of these.

I can't imagine those demos and models from corporate having many miles, they try to keep it low to maintain value.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts