·
Registered
585 Posts
What would control the voltage?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Battery would be around 360V. Why would you need to control voltage? Did you mean Amperage?

BTW, I had kind of a follow up message to this thread here...

I guess, you would connect via the High Power Distribution Module (HPDM). And remember, 360V DC can kill you, so best to hire an electrician and make sure he or she wears those super thick rubber gloves before touching those orange cables.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I did mean Voltage.
Multi-cell batteries need to be balanced on regular basis - that is the voltage control I am asking. It is done by some "computer", but I am not sure it is embedded into the battery.
Then, the charging voltage is the second part of my question. Very similar to the above.

Current is controlled by the inverter, and in case of any issue - the fuse, that probably will have to be replaced for a smaller one or another one added to protect current surge to the inverter.
The battery can easily provide 400 A, so it may fry almost anything around you.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So yeah, make sure you get the BMS module and also...

10:00 High Power Distribution Module (HPDM) is like our house breaker box. There are connectors to the pump, A/C, heater, APM (HVDC to 14V DC).

13:30 OBCM converts 120/240V AC to the car's HVDC. If this is 2-way, then V2L would just be a software tweak.

27:00 Talks about the Charge Ports, including the DCFC pins. Seems we should be able to get 360V DC out via the DCFC pins if we can tell the car to turn on those PINs.

30:00 Low voltage wiring harness, there are 7 wires differences with non-DCFC Bolt that controls the CCS DCFC pins. Would have to figure out how to talk to the car.

Get the APM too if you want to connect 12V accessories or charge 12V batteries.

Might be better to just tow the whole wreck into your garage. LOL

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... maybe easier/safer to buy a salvaged Leaf until CCS options become available!

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I did mean Voltage.
Multi-cell batteries need to be balanced on regular basis - that is the voltage control I am asking.
Bullsh_t! I have been watching our battery on Torque Pro since June of 2018. It has not balanced yet. The same cells are high, and low. The delta between those cells barely changes from charge to charge. If you had a 96 cell Bolt pack, and limited the charge voltage to 395 volts and cut off the discharge at 312 volts, you don't need the BMS. I would suggest you have Torque Pro, and monitor stuff on a regular basis, just like those of us who wonder if our Bolts will burst into flames do now. That would undoubtable require keeping most of the battery management stuff intact.

battery health screen 3.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bullsh_t! I have been watching our battery on Torque Pro since June of 2018. It has not balanced yet. The same cells are high, and low. The delta between those cells barely changes from charge to charge. If you had a 96 cell Bolt pack, and limited the charge voltage to 395 volts and cut off the discharge at 312 volts, you don't need the BMS.
I call it Bullsh_t! lol
Your battery did not meet the requirement for balancing. If there is nothing to be balanced... why to do it then? If the voltage difference falls below the threshold, nothing will happen.
Even if you can limit charge voltage to 395 V... it means nothing if one cell needs to be about 4 V. It matters what is the internal resistance of that cell and early detection not to allow that cell to go above allowable voltage. Hence you need BCM.

What PIDs do you have on your screen? I like it.
I do not think I saw them on my TorquePro.
The Max and Min cells - those are displayed automatically based on the value (min/max voltage cell) or you pulled them up manually?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I call it Bullsh_t! lol
Your battery did not meet the requirement for balancing.

What PIDs do you have on your screen?
The Max and Min cells - those are displayed automatically based on the value (min/max voltage cell) or you pulled them up manually?
Exactly. I am with Telek on this. These cars have never needed balancing...unless it has a failing cell/s, and then the BMS is useless. Maybe the BMS will actually be good for something after the final fire patch. It can send us text telling us to get out of the house!

They are all from Telek's list, with the exception of Cell V delta, and Max, and Min cell Vs They ones I made up from the formulas that Telek posted on the PID thread. You plug in your three highest, and lowest cells from monitoring the voltages for awhile.

*Batt - Cell - Min Voltages,Min Cell Vs,,MIN([224226]:MIN([224224]:[224223])),0.0,4.2,V,7E7
*Batt - Cell - Max Voltages,Max Cell Vs,,MAX([224189]:MAX([22418B]:[224190])),0.0,4.2,V,7E7
*Batt - Cell - Voltage - Delta,Cell V Delta,,MAX([224189]:MAX([22418B]:[224190]))-MIN([224226]:MIN([224224]:[224223])),0.0,4.2,V,7E7
*Battery - Cell - Minimum Voltage,Min Cell V,224329,((A*256)+B)/1666.666,2.5,4.5,V,7E4
*Battery - Cell - Minimum #,Min Cell #,22432A,A,1,96,Cell,7E4
*Battery - Cell - Maximum Voltage,Max Cell V,22432B,((A*256)+B)/1666.666,2.5,4.5,V,7E4
*Battery - Cell - Maximum #,Max Cell #,22432C,A,1,96,Cell,7E4
*BECM Average Cell Voltage,Avg Cell,22C218,((A*256)+B)*5/65536,2.5,4.2,V,7E7

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK, so the Quasar does use the DC pins. It's effectively your OBC + Inverter combined.

BTW, I guess the Quasar release date got pushed back 2 years for CCS and USA...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts