Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samsung has been doing some breakthrough research with graphene production. One of the uses is to enhance Lithium Ion Batteries.
Apparently it can increase storage by 40% and reduce charging time by a factor of 5!

Imagine your Bolt getting 333 miles per charge and charging at home in 2 hours or fully charging on level 3 in 20-30 minutes.

Link

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yeah, that would be around 125 amps. Modern homes generally have 200 amp service.

I don't imagine I would often need faster charging at home. This mainly has implications for DCFC on longer trips.

That said, I'm still a pessimist that there are so many technical/financial hurdles to overcome before long distance EV charging is acceptable to the masses.

5x faster charging is about what we need so that a car could get near to full charge in 10 min. That would require a charging station with huge electric service. The charging cable would be so heavy/awkward that people couldn't handle them. It would be super expensive.

We're still at minimum a decade away from having a great solution for EV charging on longer trips. The batteries have to get orders of magnitude better, the charging infrastructure has to get orders of magnitude more powerful, and cost has to be controlled so that it can compete with petrol. My guess is we are 20 years away from seeing more EVs on long trips than petrol vehicles.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
My guess is we are 20 years away from seeing more EVs on long trips than petrol vehicles.
And the scientists say we are 20 years away from basically needing to be at zero fossil fuel use. You may be young enough to experience those "interesting times." I, thankfully, will be long gone.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There are reports on almost a weekly basis of dramatic improvements in battery technology. The real trick is moving from the research phase to the affordable production of batteries. So far there hasn’t been any breakthrough in lithium batteries, or any non-lithium rival.

Lithium battery capacity is increasing relatively slowly, around 5-7% a year, depending upon who’s doing the measuring. It will take a fundamental change in the technology to get to the large capacity increases reported in laboratory testing.

I have no doubt that better batteries are coming, there’s billions of dollars to be made by any company that brings the next generation batteries to market, and there’s billions being spent to develop those batteries. In the short term, however, it doesn’t appear that there’s any major breakthrough on the horizon.

One thing to keep in mind is that the nearly thousand pound battery in the Bolt has the same energy capacity as two gallons of gasoline weighing about thirteen pounds. There’s room for improvement in battery technology.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
There are reports on almost a weekly basis of dramatic improvements in battery technology. The real trick is moving from the research phase to the affordable production of batteries. So far there hasn’t been any breakthrough in lithium batteries, or any non-lithium rival.

Lithium battery capacity is increasing relatively slowly, around 5-7% a year, depending upon who’s doing the measuring. It will take a fundamental change in the technology to get to the large capacity increases reported in laboratory testing.

I have no doubt that better batteries are coming, there’s billions of dollars to be made by any company that brings the next generation batteries to market, and there’s billions being spent to develop those batteries. In the short term, however, it doesn’t appear that there’s any major breakthrough on the horizon.

One thing to keep in mind is that the nearly thousand pound battery in the Bolt has the same energy capacity as two gallons of gasoline weighing about thirteen pounds. There’s room for improvement in battery technology.
and this is why I bought my Bolt now. A real car using all electric. Our future is here. some compromises, but pales in comparison to the maintenance of an ICE car. I'm nearing my first missed oil change. my plan, if it comes true, is to replace my Bolt battery with the new battery technology in ten years. no reason to wait for the next big thing. if you wait, you'll always be waiting. cause there's always something around the corner better. the bolt is not first generation technology. we're really around 3rd generation. so we're really not early adopters. I passed on the Prius and the Volt. Waited over 15 years for the Bolt. No need to wait any longer. paid cash as I'd been planning this buy for a very long time.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
and this is why I bought my Bolt now... no reason to wait for the next big thing. if you wait, you'll always be waiting. cause there's always something around the corner better.
There has to be early adopters/new car buyers to advance technology. To that end, I'm a technology mooch. I'll buy the 2nd newest generation used and save a bunch of money. I'm able to stay recent on technology since I'm not eating the steep depreciation cost. Instead of buying a new car and keeping it for 15 years, I'm able to buy a 4 year old car and keep it for 5+ before upgrading to something else not quite new. I never own the latest greatest, but I also don't own anything old and outdated *.

*I do own a 2001 CBR600, 1998 Dodge/Cummins pickup, 2006 Acura TSX... I'll keep some things long term. Holding onto the Acura so when I have kids I can teach them how to drive a stick. Will be a hoot compared to their peers who have self-driving cars. Sport bikes will probably be outlawed one day.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
and this is why I bought my Bolt now. A real car using all electric. Our future is here. some compromises, but pales in comparison to the maintenance of an ICE car. I'm nearing my first missed oil change. my plan, if it comes true, is to replace my Bolt battery with the new battery technology in ten years. no reason to wait for the next big thing. if you wait, you'll always be waiting. cause there's always something around the corner better. the bolt is not first generation technology. we're really around 3rd generation. so we're really not early adopters. I passed on the Prius and the Volt. Waited over 15 years for the Bolt. No need to wait any longer. paid cash as I'd been planning this buy for a very long time.
I waited 24 years for mine...43 years really...24 since the last purchase. It was 1974 when I decided that ICE cars were a bargain with the devil.

I am surprised at how many people are sure we will see improved EVs coming. It was June 1, 2009 when the second largest auto maker in the world (Toyota had just passed them in January) went belly up. There is probably a 50/50 chance the world economy will crash again, before we get those breakthrough batteries.

·
Registered
643 Posts
To charge at home in 2 hours would require a EVSE an onboard car charger deliver 30 kWH per hour, or 30,000 Watts

30,000 Watts / 240 volts = 125 amps before the 20% rule - that would be a 160 amp breaker. Most homes have only 100 or 200 amp service total! It is unrealistic to expect residential charging to meet these physical requirements - and the cables would be so thick that most people could not bend, lift or manage them.

The current J-1772 documented standard only covers uptown 80/100 amp charging at 240 volts - or 19,200 Watts - now standards are made to be broken and amended so it could happen - but most electrical providers don’t scale their distribution network to have multiple residences consuming 125 amps worth of service all at once.

Fast DC in 30 minutes would be 60,000 watt-hours in 30 minutes or 120,000 Watts for 30 minutes - this is more realistic and matches the current Tesla supercharger capacities - Tesla Superchargers are currently rated at 120,000 Watts.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Samsung has been doing some breakthrough research with graphene production. One of the uses is to enhance Lithium Ion Batteries.
Apparently it can increase storage by 40% and reduce charging time by a factor of 5!

Imagine your Bolt getting 333 miles per charge and charging at home in 2 hours or fully charging on level 3 in 20-30 minutes.

Link
How long it takes to charge at home is rarely a concern, especially as the range exceeds 300 miles. The bigger issue is road tripping and the added inconvenience not just in added time but lace of density of chargers.
They are making progress though with the existing chemistry but how much more they can squeeze from it is beyond me. Being able to get 125 miles of range in 15 minutes though is quite impressive regardless.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/supercharger-speed-116kw.107619/?utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ed82&utm_content=iss12#post-2540001

1 - 11 of 11 Posts