Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you live in one of the six Central Valley Counties, they are giving a $3000 rebate on any new full electric car, including the Bolt! This is separate and in addition to the California rebate. :D

Go to www.valleyair.org to apply for it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's $10,000 off a Bolt if you're eligible for the full $7,000 rebate California offers. And then there are any additional discounts offered by the dealerships themselves for a ton of savings.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
If you live in one of the six Central Valley Counties, they are giving a $3000 rebate on any new full electric car, including the Bolt! This is separate and in addition to the California rebate. :D

Go to www.valleyair.org to apply for it.
Grrrrr... yes, I looked into this one. Grrrr... I live in the San Joaquin Valley but not in one of those counties! Yes, I'm bitter... :mad:

;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
They were pretty quick about getting me rebate back to me. Received my $3000 rebate within 50 days. Still waiting for my California $2500 check and PGE $500 check.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's $10,000 off a Bolt if you're eligible for the full $7,000 rebate California offers. And then there are any additional discounts offered by the dealerships themselves for a ton of savings.
I'm actually looking at going for this and here is my incentive breakdown:

-$3,000 SJV APCD
-$7,500 fed tax credit
-$2,500 CA State CVRP
-$500 PG&E
--------------------
-$13,500 off dealer price!

I've some one dealer in Fresno take $1,000 off MSRP and you could get a Bolt for $23,000 plus tax and fees!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is freaking great! Well, the order books are probably going insane over there at this point. Begin the delays!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Even with those great deals in the Central Valley, the Bolts are just sitting on the lots. People will pay $50,000 for a truck in these parts that get 15 mpg, but not many people will consider an EV. I still have never seen a Bolt in the Central Valley and I look everyday and have 7000 highway miles on my Bolt. I have seen about 50 Teslas, but I drive a lot in Modesto which is closish to the Bay area. I got mine for about $1000 under MSRP, but should have waited. You can now get the car for under $4000 MSRP if you contact some dealers in Cali. A common model is $39,690 which is not premiere but has heated front seats, quick charging, and some drivers assist packages. This is a $22,190 car in the Central Valley. If you just want a base model you could probably get it for about $18,000 after all the rebates. Now it is more than that because you are paying taxes on the purchase price and also most people finance it and have to wait for the checks or filing taxes next year. You also have to insure a $40,000 car, I have new car replacement so it is not cheap. The car is even cheaper than this when you consider the cheaper maintenance and also savings on gas which is about $3 per gallon in Central California. My wife spends about $50 a week in gas in her Explorer. I drive about 160 miles more a week than her and spend about $16. But having a big truck is soo cool....

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Even with those great deals in the Central Valley, the Bolts are just sitting on the lots. People will pay $50,000 for a truck in these parts that get 15 mpg, but not many people will consider an EV. I still have never seen a Bolt in the Central Valley and I look everyday and have 7000 highway miles on my Bolt. I have seen about 50 Teslas, but I drive a lot in Modesto which is closish to the Bay area. I got mine for about $1000 under MSRP, but should have waited. You can now get the car for under $4000 MSRP if you contact some dealers in Cali. A common model is $39,690 which is not premiere but has heated front seats, quick charging, and some drivers assist packages. This is a $22,190 car in the Central Valley. If you just want a base model you could probably get it for about $18,000 after all the rebates. Now it is more than that because you are paying taxes on the purchase price and also most people finance it and have to wait for the checks or filing taxes next year. You also have to insure a $40,000 car, I have new car replacement so it is not cheap. The car is even cheaper than this when you consider the cheaper maintenance and also savings on gas which is about $3 per gallon in Central California. My wife spends about $50 a week in gas in her Explorer. I drive about 160 miles more a week than her and spend about $16. But having a big truck is soo cool....
The Bolt is a commuter car. Most people have it as a secondary car. If you don't have a long commute to work, the Bolt just doesn't pencil out. In the central valley, the economy is mostly agriculture and if I worked in agriculture, I wouldn't drive a Bolt either. It's just not well suited for that job. Now if your house is in Modesto and you commute to Silicon Valley, then the Bolt is ideal.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Nailed it on the head. Completely different mindset in the valley. Adoption rate to ev will take so much longer than the rest of California or maybe even the nation for that matter. This is all unfortunate as the Central Valley has the worst air in the country....if only people would realize the trucks they drive are attributing to premature deaths.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Bolt is a commuter car. Most people have it as a secondary car. If you don't have a long commute to work, the Bolt just doesn't pencil out. In the central valley, the economy is mostly agriculture and if I worked in agriculture, I wouldn't drive a Bolt either. It's just not well suited for that job. Now if your house is in Modesto and you commute to Silicon Valley, then the Bolt is ideal.
The economy has a lot of agriculture, but these are huge cities now and have a very diverse economy these days. Fresno is the 34th most populous city in the nation and it is very spread apart. Many of my friends have a 30 minute commute one way travelling from Clovis to Fresno. There are also a lot of people that live in areas like Madera and Chowchilla that commute to Fresno, Merced, and Modesto. These cities are spread apart relatively well and the Bolt is a perfect car for the commute. The Bolt makes a lot of sense in the Central Valley, but the majority of people own trucks because they WANT one not need one. There are definitely people that own trucks for work and need them, but I would say out of 10 trucks on my street, only two of them are needed for their job. The rest of the neighborhood thinks I am a hippy and probably expects me to leave the house wearing a man's romper.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
The economy has a lot of agriculture, but these are huge cities now and have a very diverse economy these days. Fresno is the 34th most populous city in the nation and it is very spread apart. Many of my friends have a 30 minute commute one way travelling from Clovis to Fresno. There are also a lot of people that live in areas like Madera and Chowchilla that commute to Fresno, Merced, and Modesto. These cities are spread apart relatively well and the Bolt is a perfect car for the commute. The Bolt makes a lot of sense in the Central Valley, but the majority of people own trucks because they WANT one not need one. There are definitely people that own trucks for work and need them, but I would say out of 10 trucks on my street, only two of them are needed for their job. The rest of the neighborhood thinks I am a hippy and probably expects me to leave the house wearing a man's romper.
Yeah, I hear you on the "truck culture". I have never understood it. I have owned many trucks for specific work tasks and still have one, however IMO, driving one for general transportation and commuting is not just stupid, but a PITA. U turns become 3 point turns, parking garages are often not an option, terrible ride quality and cornering, parking lots are a headache sometimes, not to mention climbing up and into the thing. I also don't understand how they can be "macho" either since my observation of drivers in full size pick ups and large SUVs are 50% women. Then there is the fuel bill... :roll eyes:

To each their own I guess. The Bolt and all BEVs are going to take some time to catch on. It will be word of mouth and by example that more people will become aware IMO. In a way, the compliance cars and cars like the Leaf, i3 and iMiev have done BEVs as much of a dis-service as good. Now many consumers think they know what BEVs are all about. Over priced and poor performance, not to mention also geeky and strange looking. They also know about the rich man's toy, the Tesla. What they don't know is there is a new generation coming starting with the Bolt. It's up to us to tell them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I hear you on the "truck culture". I have never understood it. I have owned many trucks for specific work tasks and still have one, however IMO, driving one for general transportation and commuting is not just stupid, but a PITA. U turns become 3 point turns, parking garages are often not an option, terrible ride quality and cornering, parking lots are a headache sometimes, not to mention climbing up and into the thing. I also don't understand how they can be "macho" either since my observation of drivers in full size pick ups and large SUVs are 50% women. Then there is the fuel bill... :roll eyes:

To each their own I guess. The Bolt and all BEVs are going to take some time to catch on. It will be word of mouth and by example that more people will become aware IMO. In a way, the compliance cars and cars like the Leaf, i3 and iMiev have done BEVs as much of a dis-service as good. Now many consumers think they know what BEVs are all about. Over priced and poor performance, not to mention also geeky and strange looking. They also know about the rich man's toy, the Tesla. What they don't know is there is a new generation coming starting with the Bolt. It's up to us to tell them.
Agreed. Trucks are essential for ag and construction, but outside of that, it seems completely impractical, especially when the average household has more than one car. The Central Valley is primed for EVs--huge incentives ($13,500 less sticker), growing network of L2 and L3 stations (L3 will come soon as there major highways that run through the valley to go from SF to LA), and a serious need for clean air tech. But from my education as a city planner has taught me, "if you build it (ev infrastructure in this case), then they may or may not come". Behavior is extremely difficult to change.

Took my dad out for a Bolt test ride the other day, he loved it besides "range anxiety". He works in the ag industry and likes his truck. It's only matter of time before I convince him to get an EV like I finally did with solar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts