Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great final video from Sandy Monroe on the 2017 Chevy Bolt. I doubt he will have another one anytime soon as there really is not much mechanical difference from a 2017 to a 2022. This really highlights how far behind GM is compared to Tesla.

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
110 Posts
'What killed it was a lot of this...'. Wires?

I'm ok if my electric car is made with wires.

·
Registered
774 Posts
He has a very backwards idea of style. The Bolt and the i3 is NOT ugly in any way ( well except for the 2022 Bolt models….yuck )

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

His point is simplification of design. Tesla has simplified their design to require less cabling. Less cabling means lower cost and better power delivery. Honestly there is no reason that the 2022 Bolt could not have been a full redesign and consolidated and simplified all of the components and given the ability for the Bolt to have a useable Frunk. And and option for AWD. But no, the 2022 models are mechanically the same but a body and interior refresh. That will only work until Tesla decides to enter the market with a mid to low $20k car. When that happens it is game over Bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Styling is certainly subjective. I showed my three teenage daughters pictures of a Model 3 and they all thought it was ugly and yet they all really like the Bolt. I personally think the Bolt looks much better than either a Model 3 or Model Y. I think the Mach E looks really good, especially in person. While the Bolt isn't the best EV, I'm convinced it is the best value EV, especially when I bought in Dec (2017 Premiere, 23K miles for $16.5K). Part of it maybe that people shopping are comparing MSRPs, which on many EVs you are going to pay (or more) while the Bolt can generally be had for less than MSRP.

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,290 Posts
Styling is certainly subjective. I showed my three teenage daughters pictures of a Model 3 and they all thought it was ugly and yet they all really like the Bolt. I personally think the Bolt looks much better than either a Model 3 or Model Y. I think the Mach E looks really good, especially in person. While the Bolt isn't the best EV, I'm convinced it is the best value EV,
Indeed about the subjective part. Model 3 looks ok, as does Bolt to me.

Model Y for me looks ugly just in the similar way as the Model X. Model X reminded me too much of BMW X6 (back in 2014) which to me was a styling fail when BMW came out with that.

I saw the Mach-E in person at CES in Jan 2020 and to me, it was ugly

·
Registered
591 Posts

To be fair, Sandy says the model y has too much wiring. The Bolt project got a reasonable priced, capable EV to market before there was a Model 3. Which by the way was a POS according to Sandy's review of an early M3.
Since GM didn't intend a huge volume for the Bolt they didn't do an exhaustive cost reduction program. So the battery is a little heavier than it might have been, the cable runs aren't perfected, and there's a fuse box. OK, they'll fix that with the Ultium vehicles.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
POS according to Sandy's review of an early M3.
That is doing disservice to what he said. He made numerous comments about how it was built and that unnecessary steps were made in the construction and said it showed a lack of volume manufacturing understanding. He never said it was a POS. He also reversed all his comments a year later remarking that Tesla had resolved pretty much all his gripes. For an Automaker to re-tool their assembly line during a production run is unheard of.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well, it kinda was. Given that the Cruze rear swaybar fits and the Buick Encore is pretty much a gas powered Bolt, I would not call the Bolt a clean sheet car.
You gotta be kidding me. Your using the Cruz sway bar as an example of the Bolt not being a clean sheet design?
Sorry, but that is pretty lame. Also the sway bar does not fit, it is too long actually. As far as the Buick Encore, the Bolt looks like five or six other hatchbacks so no big whoop there.
Sounds like you just want to troll the Bolt. Go get a Tesla 3 with it’s stupid little punched in nose.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
30 Posts
Indeed about the subjective part. Model 3 looks ok, as does Bolt to me.

Model Y for me looks ugly just in the similar way as the Model X. Model X reminded me too much of BMW X6 (back in 2014) which to me was a styling fail when BMW came out with that.

I saw the Mach-E in person at CES in Jan 2020 and to me, it was ugly
Yup, subjective.
I love the way the Model Y performance looks and I love the way the Bolt looks.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
30 Posts
You gotta be kidding me. Your using the Cruz sway bar as an example of the Bolt not being a clean sheet design?
Sorry, but that is pretty lame. Also the sway bar does not fit, it is too long actually. As far as the Buick Encore, the Bolt looks like five or six other hatchbacks so no big whoop there.
Sounds like you just want to troll the Bolt. Go get a Tesla 3 with it’s stupid little punched in nose.
That escalated kind of fast...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So, it was originally based upon the Gamma 2 platform but was then redesigned. I am not sure I would call it a full clean sheet design.

That escalated kind of fast
Some people just like being Richards.

·
Registered
620 Posts

So, it was originally based upon the Gamma 2 platform but was then redesigned. I am not sure I would call it a full clean sheet design.

Some people just like being Richards.
Some Richards just like people to tell the truth and not start threads based on lies. We already have too much of that going on. I don’t care if you and Sandy Munro think the Tesla was given to Moses along with the 10 commandments,
just don’t start spouting lies. As soon as Munro said this in his video I lost respect for all the rest.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
start threads based on lies.
Uh, please let me know what lies were told when this thread was started.

Someone made a comment about a comment in the video. I disagreed. You rudely disagreed with that.

Maybe you should read the article you quoted more thoroughly.

"We developed a unique architecture, a unique and brand-new 60-kW/hr battery"
Given the battery was designed and built by LG Chem and not GM, I would call that a lie.

That is a bit like Ford saying they made the Duratec or the original Taurus SHO V6.

Feel free to disagree and post supporting articles but if your first entry into a thread is trash and insults, stick to Facebook where that belongs. Instead of pointing out potential inaccuracies in a comment and providing evidence you escalate and denigrate forcing a response in kind. FFS, I even provided articles that agree with your position and you still persist.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts