Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning a trip from Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo and back. Any recommendations on L3 chargers along the route? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just made that trip!

The 25 KWh ChargePoint station at Cool Hand Luke's in Paso Robles was still not working.

The 50 KWh EVGo station at the Marigold Center in SLO is a nice stopping point for me from Santa Cruz to Los Angeles.

Note the chargers are located BEHIND the supermarket, so you must turn off on the side street to get behind there. Do not keep looking in the main parking lot like I did the first time I used it; hahahaha!

There is then a "walk-through" to the main shopping center, although it was closed off for construction on a new rental shop and you have to walk around to the main street first.

I tend to hang out at Jersey Mike's and they are very friendly there.

I use the EVGo app to reup after 30 minutes, instead of walking all the way back to the chargers. My Bolt EV uses three 30 minute charges from Santa Cruz to make it home to LA.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the way north to Santa Cruz, it was late and I was sleepy, so I did find an EVGo at a Nob Hill Grocers in Salinas to do a charge and take a nap. But I think it was slightly out of the direct route had I not needed the nap. Of course the charge was gratuitous, but why not?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

VoltoBolt, are you saying that you start with a full battery and need 1 1/2 hr more charge for the trip? Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

VoltoBolt, are you saying that you start with a full battery and need 1 1/2 hr more charge for the trip? Thanks.
Yes: for me to drive the 101 all way home to Valley Village (North Hollywood) from the Margate Center in San Luis Obispo, I do three 30 minute charges.

I forget the margin that is left over at home, but I could probably stop the charger at about 15 minutes in the 3rd charge, but since I am having a sandwich and a restroom stop anyway at Jersey Mike's, I just let it go the full 3 30 minute charges.

Going northbound, you do not need 90 minutes to make it back to Santa Cruz. Again, probably about 72 minutes would do it for me up to Happy Valley, but I usually don't like to cut it so close.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trip went well. The charging stations at the Marsh St Garage in the middle of SLO were well used (usually full) when we were there. I ended up at French Hospital to charge at one point. They have a bunch of new L2 ChargePoint stations. The Margate Center L3 worked well. These Bolts are amazing, I lived with a 70 mile range Green Vehicles Moose for 6 years and its hard to get used to the range and not having to plug in at every opportunity. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Glad to hear that and it means a lot coming from an owner, its one of the biggest hurdles to get over when deciding to buy or not. Most people I know have that as the first question on their mind before anything else.

Worst case scenario is someone of the many here will need a tow truck because they ran out of power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi EOPS, If I'm understanding your message correctly - I have never gotten that (stranded) run out of power fear. An EV is no different than an ICE car, you have a gauge that tells you your fuel level. Why would anyone intentionally run out of gas/electricity? Even with a 70 mile range you plan and charge when you need electricity. I do understand the range anxiety issue but the worry of getting stranded...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The fear of getting stranded just doesn't exist in California!

Unless, perhaps, like me, you enjoy pushing the Bolt EV to its limits. But then I am taking the risk for the sake of experimentation with plenty of charging equipment/adapters with me.

And usually I know exactly to the mile how many electrons I have left, so I am not really taking the risk.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Hi EOPS, If I'm understanding your message correctly - I have never gotten that (stranded) run out of power fear. An EV is no different than an ICE car, you have a gauge that tells you your fuel level. Why would anyone intentionally run out of gas/electricity? Even with a 70 mile range you plan and charge when you need electricity. I do understand the range anxiety issue but the worry of getting stranded...?
My neighbor has been commuting in a Leaf since they became available in Virginia, in 2011. First in a 24 kWh, now in a 30 kWh. Her commute is 50+ miles everyday, year round, with no charging once she leaves the city limits from work. She has done the lap blanket, no heat thing all that time, in winter. This winter is the worst since 2011. Two weeks ago she had a small side trip that should have been doable, out on a back road. On the return to the main road, she got going on the wrong road, in the freezing cold, in the dark. It only cost her a few more miles. But she ended up running out of juice on our road. Fortunately, the last quarter mile was slightly downhill, and she was able to coast into their driveway in neutral. They used an extension cord, with the portable EVSE, to get enough juice to get it into the garage and hooked to the 240 volt EVSE. A small miscalculation can snowball. Ever see the movie "All is Lost"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts