Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time our Bolt EV has saved me from a certain multi- vehicle collision.
I had just turned onto a side street heading to work after dark. The first intersection encountered connects two drive ways with a McDonalds on the left and strip mall on the right. I was on a 3 lane street with a turn lane in the middle and cars turning left backed up to the driveways.
At about 300 feet I was almost to the posted 25 mph when I noticed a car pulling onto the street from my left. Normally a driver will look right and then pull into the middle lane until it is clear to merge right. I was nearly to the right side rear door of the car when I was aware that he was not looking and heading right over.
I was in L mode as always when in town. There was no audible warning, perhaps due to the car coming so rapidly from the side. I instinctively put my foot on the brake pedal firmly but not in full panic mode. It felt as if the car was metering the stopping power over and above my input. The car came to an abrupt but very controlled stop with no excess drama. No sliding or screeching on damp but not wet asphalt. I estimate that I missed the other car by 12 inches +/-
Neither occupant of the car ever so much as turned their head in my direction.

· Registered
225 Posts
Love that the car starts to slow down as soon as one lifts off the accelerator. Many times 'L'/one pedal driving was all I needed to avert having to stomp on the brake. Glad you were able to avoid the inattentive driving you encountered. Typically takes two to have an accident.
(your comment really makes me appreciate my car insurance company. 23 accidents in, they still give me a good driving discount. I asked them about that -- they said "some people are targets, why you get insurance.")

· Registered
454 Posts
(your comment really makes me appreciate my car insurance company. 23 accidents in, they still give me a good driving discount. I asked them about that -- they said "some people are targets, why you get insurance.")
I think anyone who has had 23 accidents should consider taking the bus. Sorry.

And if the insurance company actually believed you were some kind of karmic magnet, drawing accidents through no fault of your own, they would raise your rates through the roof, because insurance is all about numbers. Maybe you just have a kind agent who likes you and knows how to work the system.

· Registered
225 Posts
I think anyone who has had 23 accidents should consider taking the bus. Sorry.

And if the insurance company actually believed you were some kind of karmic magnet, drawing accidents through no fault of your own, they would raise your rates through the roof, because insurance is all about numbers. Maybe you just have a kind agent who likes you and knows how to work the system.
Don't have an agent. Never tried to work the system. Been driving a while, so all different investigators. I'm assuming even you would give me a pass for the time my car was legally parked in front of my house and a woman drove into it, claiming it hadn't been there before? Maybe the 3 times I was not first in line at a stop sign, but was rear-ended, even? Maybe the time someone else was prosecuted and convicted for cutting across a highway leading someone else to swerve and hit me head on? How about the 3-4 times something flew out of someone's pickup truck and hit our car (yes, we don't drive on highways much anymore, and stay way back). Or the time someone backed out of an alley at speed right into me and tried to convince the responding officer that it was my fault because she didn't like my bumper sticker . . .

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,414 Posts
Don't have an agent. Never tried to work the system. Been driving a while, so all different investigators. I'm assuming even you would give me a pass for the time my car was legally parked in front of my house and a woman drove into it, claiming it hadn't been there before? Maybe the 3 times I was not first in line at a stop sign, but was rear-ended, even? Maybe the time someone else was prosecuted and convicted for cutting across a highway leading someone else to swerve and hit me head on? How about the 3-4 times something flew out of someone's pickup truck and hit our car (yes, we don't drive on highways much anymore, and stay way back). Or the time someone backed out of an alley at speed right into me and tried to convince the responding officer that it was my fault because she didn't like my bumper sticker . . .
If I were an underwriter, I'd probably still be tempted to put you on an "assigned risk" policy, well...perhaps because the "Fates" don't like you. :p You gotta admit, that's a crazy number.

· Registered
2023 EUV Premium Redline Turbo
57 Posts
What is your zip code? Some areas are more prone to accidents.
Even though you get the good driver discount, the rates where you are likely are relatively high.

· Registered
13 Posts
I work in the Transportation industry. In the last 10 years we have quit using the term "accident" now they are called "crash" or "collision" or something along those lines.

Using the word accident has the connotation that it was not preventable. That's almost never the case.

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,414 Posts
I work in the Transportation industry. In the last 10 years we have quit using the term "accident" now they are called "crash" or "collision" or something along those lines.

Using the word accident has the connotation that it was not preventable. That's almost never the case.
Absolutely. I hammer on that little detail, often. "Accident" implies that it was a matter of happenstance, or "an act of God", if you will. A "collision" can (and usually is) a matter of negligence on one or more parties.

Most law-enforcement entities use "traffic collision" now, as well.

· Registered
2023 EUV Premium Redline Turbo
57 Posts
I know my collision insurance covers damage from an accidental collision. Either the collision is accidental or intentional. Is there another type of collision? I don't think my auto collision insurance covers a collision that I disclose I intended to have occur. I'm surprised to hear professionals objecting to the term, accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts