Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it started out that you become a Chevy owner and started flashing through different models with a Volt and a Bolt in the mix twice each. This could be start of some real advertising of these cars. Maybe. At the end it showed 4 other model that have a 20% discount.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They need an ad specifically for the Bolt... it looks too much like any other hatchback. And throw in some stats like "the longest range of any EV under $38000". It is almost like they don't want to sell them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think it's more of an issue that Chevy is selling every Bolt they can make - and more. Why advertise a car that's selling like hotcakes, and you can't increase the production rate? The Bolt is a low volume car too: just a few thousand a month. And some knowledgeable individuals have stated that GM's profit margin on the Bolt is somewhere between slim to a loss leader. They are better off advertising the vehicles that are not selling, have high margins or can be produced in large numbers.

There are a number of cars that are very similar in appearance to the Bolt, including another electric car: the Mercedes Benz B250e. They have discontinued this car. It has a range of just 87 miles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/b-class-electric-drive

·
Registered
85 Posts
T It is almost like they don't want to sell them.
It only took me 4 Chevy dealerships to figure that out. I wanted to buy a Bolt...but the lack of effort on the dealerships side of things was just too much for me. As for the comments about them selling like hotcakes...in a lot of other states I would agree...in Colorado, they aren't selling that fast. The dealership nearest me that I was working with, started with 3 2017's...those same 3 2017's are still there and they have been since Christmas time.

167 Posts
Is Chevrolet Selling Every Bolt It Can Produce?

Chevrolet sold about 1450 Bolt EV's last month. Is that all they could produce? Wow...that probably means good news for quality!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They're only selling Bolts mainly because they have to and as an experiment, honestly. Even Barra claimed they will be profitable on EVs in 2021, implying currently they're not making money. Maybe they're making different type of money such as ZEV credits, but straight profit off the sale of an EV probably hasn't happened for GM yet.

As a company, they still are beholden to their share holders and I think they'll still need to rely on their trucks and SUVs for profits until EVs are both cheaper to make and purchased more.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
One would think that GM certainly set a base price of $37495 with the express purpose of advertising an “after tax credit” price under $30K. Why do that if you are not going to advertise? Every one of us (who bought) would have done so if the base were $37,500. That $5 is a mass media marketing gimmick which they are not utilizing. By 2021 the tax credit will be phased out and the base price changed. It seems they were planning to advertise, but for one or more of the reasons suggested above, they “ain’t doin’ it”!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Consumers tend to think that if there’s no commercials on network TV, or in national newspapers, or on the radio, or on billboards, etc. That there’s no advertising.

BUT marketers have for years now realized that those above “traditional” media are sometimes way too expensive in reaching a target audience. A target that may be small in size but diverse in different ways.

This forum is an advertising medium. Who is footing the bill? (guess). Journalistic auto articles, car mags, EV enthusiast sites are great medium. All the manufacturer has to do is give ‘em the vehicle for a while to pound around in. If some auto writer is very influential just give him a plane ticket, hotel room and dinner to attend a media “event” and let him write. The Chevrolet.com website is an advertising medium. The brochure in the Chevy store is an advertising medium. Youtube videos are an advertising medium.

Tesla is the master of zero-cost advertising generating hundreds of $millions in advertising impact value. GM would love to do be able to do that.

PS: forgot: Auto Shows

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Consumers tend to think that if there’s no commercials on network TV, or in national newspapers, or on the radio, or on billboards, etc. That there’s no advertising.

PS: forgot: Auto Shows
I did see a full page add in a USA Today last year. Here's an article about some of the advertising: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...t-ev-electric-car-do-actually-exist-heres-one

I knew I wanted one when the press covered the Bolt's unveiling/announcement at one of the Auto shows.

Like you said, they're getting "free" advertisement from others writing about it. Even if it's only for a comparison to a competitor's product. GM having something in the mix at least gets them some notice.

2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year
Business Insider: 2017 Car of the Year runner-up
2017 Green Car of the Year
North American Car of the Year
Eco-Friendly Car of the Year: 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV
Consumer Reports: Chevy Bolt Best Small Green Car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.