Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just saw this today, I guess I will wait till I get a letter.

Reprogram hybrid powertrain control module 2.

https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls

edit:

GM Program #:
N172127150
Date Issued:
Apr 03, 2018
Program Title:
Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification - Expires 4/30/2020
Program Description:
Certain 2017 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition where the calibration will not detect the difference in the state of charge between the cell groups of the battery. This condition may not provide sufficient warning prior to a battery cell low voltage condition, which may result in a loss of propulsion. Only certain vehicles will experience the battery low voltage cell condition.

Repair Description:

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Same! Saw it when I was looking up the wiper recall on another thread. Interestingly, the repair doesn’t seem to indicate that they plan on replacing the entire battery pack as was suggested on other threads here regarding the loss of propulsion issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recall # N172127150 April 3 2018

anyone get this on their chevy.com page

GM Program #:
N172127150
Date Issued:
Apr 03, 2018
Program Title:
Loss of Propulsion High Voltage Battery Without Notification - Expires 4/30/2020
Program Description:
Certain 2017 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition where the calibration will not detect the difference in the state of charge between the cell groups of the battery. This condition may not provide sufficient warning prior to a battery cell low voltage condition, which may result in a loss of propulsion. Only certain vehicles will experience the battery low voltage cell condition.

Repair Description:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Build date on our Bolt is 9/17. Checked the NHTSA website out of curiosity, this particular recall isn’t showing up there yet.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The way I am reading the recall, it sounds like the loss of propulsion issues come from the PCM not reading the voltage properly for individual battery cells so a particular cell can become much more discharged than the others. This leads to the entire battery pack becoming useless because the output of the battery pack relies on all cells being in a similar state of discharge. It's like when you have one of those giant 8 cell Maglite flashlights. If you have 7 new D-cell batteries in it but one is close to dead, the flashlight is going to be dim. Hopefully this is not a band aid fix to avoid replacing battery packs. Hopefully, GM had found out how to fix the problem in software after researching the problem with the initial cars in which they were replacing entire battery packs. I can see them replacing battery packs initially to keep confidence up in the Bolt until they could figure out what the underlying problem was.

What is curious is that my wife's Bolt with a build date of 2/2017 has the recall but my Bolt with a build date of 10/2017 does not. Maybe because mine has the revised battery pack?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The way I am reading the recall, it sounds like the loss of propulsion issues come from the PCM not reading the voltage properly for individual battery cells so a particular cell can become much more discharged than the others. This leads to the entire battery pack becoming useless because the output of the battery pack relies on all cells being in a similar state of discharge. It's like when you have one of those giant 8 cell Maglite flashlights. If you have 7 new D-cell batteries in it but one is close to dead, the flashlight is going to be dim. Hopefully this is not a band aid fix to avoid replacing battery packs. Hopefully, GM had found out how to fix the problem in software after researching the problem with the initial cars in which they were replacing entire battery packs. I can see them replacing battery packs initially to keep confidence up in the Bolt until they could figure out what the underlying problem was.

What is curious is that my wife's Bolt with a build date of 2/2016 has the recall but my Bolt with a build date of 10/2016 does not. Maybe because mine has the revised battery pack?
I’m with you on the apprehension regarding the recall solution being a potential band aid. Fingers crossed that it isn’t.

Very curious as well. I honestly thought our Bolt was going to be “safe” from this recall because of the relatively recent build date (09/17) after reading related threads, and yet there it was. It would be interesting to know how they determined which ones should get the repair. My OnStar diagnostic reports have never indicated any issues.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I think we got one because I threatened to burn it down. :)

Seriously, though, I think that they decided to tighten up the minimum voltage, or the minimum voltage spread, to reduce the chances of having a car stop in the road without notice. They probably made this software change to all cars going out the door after some point, but figured they would now do it to all? many? of the earlier cars, even ones that haven't showed signs of low cells. This software fix obviously doesn't fix below spec cells, but if it saves them even one instance of an owner being endangered, and the resulting bad press, it is a good move.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I was at the GM site today it said the recall includes my car my car, it was built in August as well.
I know for a fact the only Bolt sold by this dealer was mine, makes me a bit nervous about being the only car sold.

Here is the procedure for the repair .http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=7041
Thanks for the link. Also a bit worried about our dealer because they didn’t restock Bolts after ours and another one on the lot sold. Planning to ask if they’ve done the repair first on other vehicles before committing. We also have several other Chevrolet dealers around our way so will be asking them too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I tried to make a service appointment for the recall just now via my dealer's website but got an email reply from a service dept rep saying that they have no record in the system that my VIN has a recall associated with it. I sent them screenshots of both the GM recall site and the myChevrolet phone app showing that my VIN is included in the recall. I'm waiting for a reply.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I’ve also gotten the recall notice, my build date was 3/17.

Does anyone know how urgent this recall is? I don’t see many posts on this forum about battery failures or sudden power loss, which it appears this software patch aims to prevent.

There was a battery recall / replacement earlier for some early build cars, is this related to that problem, or is this a new issue?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I tried to make a service appointment for the recall just now via my dealer's website but got an email reply from a service dept rep saying that they have no record in the system that my VIN has a recall associated with it. I sent them screenshots of both the GM recall site and the myChevrolet phone app showing that my VIN is included in the recall. I'm waiting for a reply.
I’m not in any hurry to get the fix, as I’m more comfortable having the dealership practice on a few other Bolts before fiddling with mine. Unless this is an urgent recall I’ll get it done in June when I get my annual state inspection.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I’ve also gotten the recall notice, my build date was 3/17.

Does anyone know how urgent this recall is? I don’t see many posts on this forum about battery failures or sudden power loss, which it appears this software patch aims to prevent.

There was a battery recall / replacement earlier for some early build cars, is this related to that problem, or is this a new issue?
There were a few mentions of sudden power loss in one of the recent threads - I believe user GJETSON had pointed it out (he did reference the "burning down" plan he had, which I recall reading) in one of those discussions. It seems to be a new issue because the repair method is different, but the end result that they're trying to prevent (sudden loss of propulsion / power) seems to be identical.

This does seem to be a worrisome issue. Really bummed out that I got the recall on the app.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I’m not in any hurry to get the fix, as I’m more comfortable having the dealership practice on a few other Bolts before fiddling with mine. Unless this is an urgent recall I’ll get it done in June when I get my annual state inspection.
Same here. I want to make sure that they know exactly what they're doing and what they're supposed to do before I hand the car over to them. I've never really run down the battery below 50%, but as I've posted earlier, still worried about it though.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Quick followup. After the dealer told me that my vehicle history did not show any current recalls (although the phone app and the GM recall website show my VIN as being affected), I called Chevy customer service to ask about the discrepancy. The CS rep looked up my VIN and saw the same info that my dealer saw, that my VIN had no active recalls. The rep then checked the consumer recall website and put in my VIN and saw that my car was affected by the recall according to that system. He opened a customer service case for me to figure out why my VIN is affected according to the recall website but is not in whatever system the dealers (and customer service reps) use to check vehicle history. I should have an answer today. More than likely, since the recall is only 2 days old, there is some lag time between the systems synchronizing the data for recalls. Regardless, I'd like to have this fixed ASAP if my wife's Bolt is affected even if the chance the problem happening is minuscule. She drives alot and I'd hate to have her lose power during her long commute of which much is on the highway.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Quick followup. After the dealer told me that my vehicle history did not show any current recalls (although the phone app and the GM recall website show my VIN as being affected), I called Chevy customer service to ask about the discrepancy. The CS rep looked up my VIN and saw the same info that my dealer saw, that my VIN had no active recalls. The rep then checked the consumer recall website and put in my VIN and saw that my car was affected by the recall according to that system. He opened a customer service case for me to figure out why my VIN is affected according to the recall website but is not in whatever system the dealers (and customer service reps) use to check vehicle history. I should have an answer today. More than likely, since the recall is only 2 days old, there is some lag time between the systems synchronizing the data for recalls. Regardless, I'd like to have this fixed ASAP if my wife's Bolt is affected even if the chance the problem happening is minuscule. She drives alot and I'd hate to have her lose power during her long commute of which much is on the highway.
Thanks for the detailed update. Will add this thread to my subscription list. If you would be so kind as to drop in for further updates since it seems that you might be the first one here to get the repair done with the progress you've made, it would be much appreciated. Like I've mentioned in my other posts, I'm still a bit apprehensive about the Chevy dealers close to our area when it comes to Bolts since they don't seem to be selling much of them and I've only seen one other Bolt in our area. Don't mind having to drive further out to make sure I'm bringing the Bolt to a knowledgeable service center.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts