Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2017 Bolt - 25 miles total driven.
On my first commute I had a tire blowout.
First of all, kudos to the car for immediately telling me that my tire pressure was low before I even felt the effects!
Second kudos to Chevy Roadside Assistance, pretty efficient (although I couldn't believe that with OnStar they didn't know where I was located).

My problem is that there were no replacement tires available in Houston, and the dealer service had to have a replacement shipped in from out of state.
Should I be concerned about the scarcity of parts for these cars?
I am surmising that there may only be 200 Volts in a city of 4 million people, so I understand the odds of needed a tire for a car line that has been out for maybe a year.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sourcing replacement "self-seal" tires for the Bolt has been an ongoing problem from day one.
Luckily, the non-self-seal version is available from Michelin dealers and The Tire Rack online.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That blowout is a rarity and does not dictate that you need to obtain spare parts proactively. What I (and, probably, most of us) did, is go to my favorite (maybe 2 of them) local tire dealer and show them your new car and have them research in advance where and how fast they can get a replacement. A place that sells Michelin tires is a good starting point. NONE of my local Chevy dealers is going to sell OR service the Bolt. NTB was glad for the "heads up", and should meet my needs should the necessity dictate. Depending on where they live, MANY Forum members are buying Winter (snow) tires (and even rims for THAT set). {See multiple "tire threads" here on the Forum.} If you are in a "hard winter" locale, that may be a good option.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wonder if there would be an issue of replacing a self-seal tire with the non seal one. The self-seal tires are heavier and replacing one would cause a slight weight balance issue.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I live where we get enough snow to justify snow tires. I haven't managed to get another set of wheels for the snow tires yet, so I've had them mounted on the original wheels. That means that the unmounted tires are sitting in my garage.

After reading about how difficult it's been for some people to get replacement tires, I've put one of the unmounted summer tires into the lower cargo compartment - it fits down there, uninflated of course, just fine with the false floor in place on top of it. So now if I'm out on the road and have a problem that requires a tow to a tire shop I won't have to wait for them to source another tire.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Is there space in there for a mounted, inflated spare?
No, I tried and they won't - at least not the stock tires on the stock wheels.

When I get the second set of stock wheels I ordered I'm going to have the stock summer tires mounted on them and then I'll experiment to see if I can get them to fit in the lower cargo area with less than full pressure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts