Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone understand in some detail how the programmable charging modes work? Or perhaps it is better to ask if anyone has successfully done what I want to do.

First, I don't have a regular schedule of when I use the car, but at least right now, it is seldom a really long trip. Seldom more than half the max range. Second, I have solar panels on my roof, so the cheapest time to charge (at least if it is sunny) is from about 10AM to 2PM.

What I'd really like to do is to convince the Bolt to charge ONLY during those times. I don't care if it "fills the tank" by some particular time. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll override and tell it to go full time. But the problem is that it insists that I tell it when I want it charged by. Let's say I tell it 2PM, and I come back and plug it in at 1:30 and it requires 2 hours of charging. I'd like it to cut off at 2PM, but no...it assumes I'm running late and keeps charging until the battery reaches the maximum that I have set it for.

Has anyone found a way to say "Charge ONLY during the times I tell you. Do NOT charge any other time unless I override".

Thanks for any thoughts...

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's the same as my Spark EV, you would just have to set it to Rate and Departure Time and the off-peak hours to between 10AM to 2PM (and peak and partial peak to something else). Then it will only charge between 10 and 2. The only effect of the departure time as far as I can tell is that the car beeps four times when you plug it in if you are on delayed charging and there will not be enough time to reach a full charge by departure time. Maybe the Bolt is different.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just looked at my 2019 LT, and it appears to me that you need to use the "Utility Rate Charging" options under the "Charge Settings" menu. You can define PEAK vs NON-PEAK clock times, and tell the Bolt to charge only during NON-PEAK hours. Would this not achieve what you want?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I certainly would have thought so. Maybe I need to look again and see if there are variations. There are a lot of menus there, and when I had it in for the "fuse" recall, all my settings got lost. Maybe I missed something the second time.

Thanks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I seem to be having the same issue. From what I can tell the peak/off peak schedule only applies when you're using level 2 charging. I also have solar panels so I'm running into the same difficulties.
Seems to obey the schedule when I'm charging with level 2, but it charges immediately when I charge on level one.

I also wish the bolt had the option to charge at a reduced level 2 rate like my i3 had. Seems like my only option now is to buy a different charger with these lower charge rate capabilities. Maybe somebody can tell me if I'm missing something on that.

Hope this helps and someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
299 Posts
Does anyone understand in some detail how the programmable charging modes work? Or perhaps it is better to ask if anyone has successfully done what I want to do.

First, I don't have a regular schedule of when I use the car, but at least right now, it is seldom a really long trip. Seldom more than half the max range. Second, I have solar panels on my roof, so the cheapest time to charge (at least if it is sunny) is from about 10AM to 2PM.

What I'd really like to do is to convince the Bolt to charge ONLY during those times. I don't care if it "fills the tank" by some particular time. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll override and tell it to go full time. But the problem is that it insists that I tell it when I want it charged by. Let's say I tell it 2PM, and I come back and plug it in at 1:30 and it requires 2 hours of charging. I'd like it to cut off at 2PM, but no...it assumes I'm running late and keeps charging until the battery reaches the maximum that I have set it for.
If you have a dryer outlet you can do this
It charges a lot quicker

Has anyone found a way to say "Charge ONLY during the times I tell you. Do NOT charge any other time unless I override".

Thanks for any thoughts...

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,847 Posts
I just looked at my 2019 LT, and it appears to me that you need to use the "Utility Rate Charging" options under the "Charge Settings" menu. You can define PEAK vs NON-PEAK clock times, and tell the Bolt to charge only during NON-PEAK hours. Would this not achieve what you want?
I have mine set to off peak charge ONLY and my priority charging to 40% is OFF. Works great.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
38 Posts
Duke has a program were if you only charge during off-peak hours and there are two time slots specified as off peak, then they will pay you $10 a month. (Off-Peak Credit - Duke Energy). The offpeak hours are "Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., holidays (detailed below) and weekends. All other times are considered on-peak. Holidays are: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Good Friday, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day." Does anybody know how to accomplish this schedule easily on a 2018 Chevy Bolt Premier? I looked around in the menu and nothing popped out for me. I can do it on my Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE, but they want me to send them a picture of my car dash where this is programmed.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
Duke has a program were if you only charge during off-peak hours and there are two time slots specified as off peak, then they will pay you $10 a month. (Off-Peak Credit - Duke Energy). The offpeak hours are "Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., holidays (detailed below) and weekends. All other times are considered on-peak. Holidays are: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Good Friday, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day." Does anybody know how to accomplish this schedule easily on a 2018 Chevy Bolt Premier? I looked around in the menu and nothing popped out for me. I can do it on my Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE, but they want me to send them a picture of my car dash where this is programmed.
"Electric Rate Schedule

From the Charge Mode tab on the Charging screen with Departure charge mode selected, touch Edit next to Electric Rate Preference...

Touch Edit Electric Rate Schedule from the Electric Rate Schedule screen and select the desired schedule...

Touch Edit in the lower right corner of the screen to edit the electric rate schedule...

The rate schedule only applies for a 24-hour period, starting at 12 AM and ending at 12 AM. There can be five rate changes for each day; not all must be used."

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
38 Posts
Great, I'll check it out. I think it wouldn't let me select Departure charge, but it was probably something like I had the charger already plugged in and charging. I'll look again.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
38 Posts
On my 2018 Bolt, the Departure tab is dim and tapping on it does nothing. Immediate tab is bright green, but I can't switch.

"Electric Rate Schedule

From the Charge Mode tab on the Charging screen with Departure charge mode selected, touch Edit next to Electric Rate Preference...

Touch Edit Electric Rate Schedule from the Electric Rate Schedule screen and select the desired schedule...

Touch Edit in the lower right corner of the screen to edit the electric rate schedule...

The rate schedule only applies for a 24-hour period, starting at 12 AM and ending at 12 AM. There can be five rate changes for each day; not all must be used."

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
On my 2018 Bolt, the Departure tab is dim and tapping on it does nothing. Immediate tab is bright green, but I can't switch.
You may need to set up location based charging first, and then set your home location. Departure time charging assumes you are at home.

Using Location Based Charging

To use Location Based Charging, a home location must first be stored.
To store a home location:
1. From the Energy Home screen, touch Charging Options.
2. Touch Location Based Charging.
3. Touch Set Home Location.
4. Touch OK.
5. Touch On to enable Location Based Charging.

To change the stored home location:
1. Touch Update Home Location on the Location Based Charging screen.
2. Touch Update, then OK to set the new home location. Touch Cancel to make no changes. Touch Remove to clear the location and turn Location Based Charging off.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
38 Posts
I got it done, I think I had to turn off home location. I had home location and hilltop reserve at home location turned on and that prevented me from getting into the Departure tab in order to set the times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts