Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy to everyone out there in Boltland.

Picked up my Orangeburst metallic beauty 3 days ago and wow, I am LOVING this car! After the first night's charge, however, the battery got fully charged, but the next morning, I found the charger in fault mode.

I then disconnected the charger from the car, reset the charger, reconnected it to the car, then within about 4 seconds of the car beginning to charge again, the charger again went into fault mode and ceased charging. I've repeated this process twice again and gotten the same results. The Bolt gives a message something roughly like "Charging stopped. Check charger for problems".

It's a Schneider charger (I can't see a model number), but I still have the sales brochure PDF which states that it has a 30 amp output @ 220volts. I believe that is 2 amps less than the Bolt can handle (or desires?), but should that cause this problem? I haven't contacted Schneider yet, and a Bolt technical support advisor is looking into it, but I'm interested to hear whether others have had this problem and how to solve it.

I know that one can select reduced amperage charging, but only Level 1 charging, not Level 2. This is the charger I've used exclusively on my 2012 Volt with only a few (unexplained) faults occurring in those 5 years. The Volt of course draws far less than the charger can put out, FWIW.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So it went into fault mode after fully charging the Bolt? Maybe drive around a bit and then charge again to see if it goes into fault mode again?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same charger. I am waiting on the delivery of my Bolt which should be next week. I have used the charger for my 2012 I-Miev. I will post again if I have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Have you tried using the portable EVSE that came with the car? While that one doesn't supply 220V, it can be used to verify that the car's internal charging system is working. If using the portable EVSE results in a fault light on the portable EVSE being lit, then it's possible that the Bolt has a problem internally. If you can charge successfully using the portable EVSE, then that points at a problem with the Schneider unit. Was this a pre-existing unit that you had, or was the unit recently installed? If it was recently installed, that could indicate a problem with the wiring feeding the Schneider unit. Some of these L2 EVSE's have a way to indicate what sort of fault it is encountering. Usually it's a blinking light on the EVSE. The number of blinks indicates the fault condition.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a five year old Schneider that has worked great for my other EVs and works great on the Bolt too (I have charged thousands of mile on the Bolt with this charger).
I know that one can select reduced amperage charging, but only Level 1 charging, not Level 2. This is the charger I've used exclusively on my 2012 Volt with only a few (unexplained) faults occurring in those 5 years. The Volt of course draws far less than the charger can put out, FWIW.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Bolt doesn't cause errors when the EVSE doesn't support full current charging.
Mine was (mistakenly) set to charge at 15A max and the car simply adapted. Once I figured out how to tell the charger that the wiring supported 50A it allowed full charging rate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a reasonably full charge once from the Schneider unit, then none since. I tried charging my Volt again, and with it, no problem.

Called Schneider tech support and the tech I spoke to said that the circuit board may have to be replaced but that he'd research it further and call me back, but hasn't yet after 2 days. Stupidly, I didn't ask for his name and extension -duh!

Trying a Level 1charge tonight. We'll see how that goes.

BTW, the Volt felt like a real slug after spending time in the Bolt.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got a reasonably full charge once from the Schneider unit, then none since. I tried charging my Volt again, and with it, no problem.

Called Schneider tech support and the tech I spoke to said that the circuit board may have to be replaced but that he'd research it further and call me back, but hasn't yet after 2 days. Stupidly, I didn't ask for his name and extension -duh!

Trying a Level 1charge tonight. We'll see how that goes.

BTW, the Volt felt like a real slug after spending time in the Bolt.
If I understand correctly, you are saying that the volt charges correctly on the Schneider charger, but the bolt does not? Either there is a difference in the control signal requirements between the two vehicles (unlikely), or the problem is with the bolt, not the charger. Have you had any issues using other 220v chargers? Did the charger display a fault code at all? Usually this would just be a series of flashing lights on the charger.

Let us know if the level 1 charge goes well.

As for the Volt=slug comment - that just makes me more excited waiting for my bolt to arrive!

·
Registered
862 Posts
If I understand correctly, you are saying that the volt charges correctly on the Schneider charger, but the bolt does not? Either there is a difference in the control signal requirements between the two vehicles (unlikely), or the problem is with the bolt, not the charger. Have you had any issues using other 220v chargers? Did the charger display a fault code at all? Usually this would just be a series of flashing lights on the charger.

Let us know if the level 1 charge goes well.

As for the Volt=slug comment - that just makes me more excited waiting for my bolt to arrive!
I think it more likely that there is not a problem with the charger at all (internal to the Bolt), but with the EVSE. The charger in the Bolt is asking for more current than the one in the Volt and likely causing the EVSE to generate a fault.

The Bolt charger will take full advantage of the 30 amps advertised by the pilot signal on the EVSE. The Volt charger will see that 30 amps are available, but will only pull ~14 amps (3.3 kW @ 240 V).

Cases like this is where it is important to use the correct terminology to differentiate between the charger and the EVSE.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have this Schneider EVSE installed also. The Schneider Tech send me new circuit boards that have a 20mA GFCI sensor. The original unit had a 5mA sensor. All is now good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts