Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago. My model has cloth seats. I was interested in scotchgarding the seats. I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has done this or knows if it would not be a good idea.

Thank you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago. My model has cloth seats. I was interested in scotchgarding the seats. I wanted to see if anyone in the forum has done this or knows if it would not be a good idea.

Thank you.
I bought 4-5 canisters 2 years ago lol , but then I got busy working 2-3 jobs so I never did get around to doing it. Let us know how it turns out for You?

·
Registered
526 Posts
We have two Bolts, and I Scotchguarded both cloth interiors. It does seem to help prevent stains and extend the life of the cloth. After applying it, leave the car with open windows overnight to ventilate and promote the interior drying. This will save you hundreds of dollars for the same service offered by dealers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It doesn't take long to air out, 24 hours will likely make the outgassing less than that of the myriad other materials in the car (mine is a 2018 and I still smell them). I Scotch guarded mine shortly after I bought it. Did not discolor (I sprayed low on the back of the back seat first to check if it did). Spilled a drop of coffee on the driver's seat a couple days ago, wiped it off with my hankerchief, did not leave a stain.

·
Registered
698 Posts
seat covers. Costco has cheap wet proof ones that are black for like 14 Bucks. now if I could find one for the back seat I would be all set

I also don't want to spray the seats with any more chemicals so the covers are my choice

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't mind the covers, but your issue may be the deployment of the airbags. I am new to the car and new to the forum, but doesn't the car have side impact airbags in the seats?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wouldn't mind the covers, but your issue may be the deployment of the airbags. I am new to the car and new to the forum, but doesn't the car have side impact airbags in the seats?
Yes, and I believe that all new car seat covers will rip open for side seat airbag. Mine does. Just make sure you put the correct L & R covers on the correct chairs ;) I didn't realize this on my 1st car and had to reverse them

·
Registered
28 Posts
seat covers. Costco has cheap wet proof ones that are black for like 14 Bucks. now if I could find one for the back seat I would be all set

I also don't want to spray the seats with any more chemicals so the covers are my choice
Say, do you have a picture of how they look? I definitey like the idea of seat covers (Scotch guard is great for spills, but long term wear and tear on light color fabric is better handled by a physical layer of protection... as long as it looks good!)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Before 3M pulled ScotchGuard off the market in 2000, they swore that PFOS was non-toxic and not a safety issue.

Now they’re using PFBS, and they swear it’s also non-toxic, and not a safety issue.

l’ll pass on the ScotchGuard, thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Say, do you have a picture of how they look? I definitey like the idea of seat covers (Scotch guard is great for spills, but long term wear and tear on light color fabric is better handled by a physical layer of protection... as long as it looks good!)
I have not yet found a seat cover I will use. Will probably search a bit harder this week. Will try to get something that fits the current look, but darker.

I am sure I will be holding onto my Bolt for the duration. I want to keep it as pristine as I can. I ordered a rear storage cover for my LT. The dealership said it will be in for me to pick up in a week or so. Will probably order some nice rubber mats for the floors.

The car came with tint. I have been able to check a number of the blocks for my Bolt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Before 3M pulled ScotchGuard off the market in 2000, they swore that PFOS was non-toxic and not a safety issue.

Now they’re using PFBS, and they swear it’s also non-toxic, and not a safety issue.

l’ll pass on the ScotchGuard, thanks.
Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread.

I try to avoid long lived compounds with fatty tissue affinity that persist in the environment and end up in food chains thousands of miles away from the couches and cars it was used in. You don't have to be a super nature freak or health conscious for fat samples in penguins to give you some doubt over how good this is for your own brain, liver, and kidneys.

If I was preserving a rare couch once sat on by Napolean it would be one thing, but this is just a mid price car...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread.

I try to avoid long lived compounds with fatty tissue affinity that persist in the environment and end up in food chains thousands of miles away from the couches and cars it was used in. You don't have to be a super nature freak or health conscious for fat samples in penguins to give you some doubt over how good this is for your own brain, liver, and kidneys.

If I was preserving a rare couch once sat on by Napolean it would be one thing, but this is just a mid price car...
I appreciate the heads up. Thank you. This will be my only iteration of using Scotchgard. :) Will go with seat covers.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I am sure Scotchguard is not the greatest stuff in the world for health - but I am not personally planning to bathe / shower / eat drink the stuff. I would think if You use as the package indicates and let it air out personal exposure would be very minimal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts