Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 3 month subscription for unlimited Scrubadub car wash for my new Bolt.

Turns out that it barely touches the car, great. BUT, it doesn't really Deeply clean it either !
I had splash marks still on the sides, gunk on the rear bumper and bird poop still on the hood (the only spot and it wasn't even a full poop.

I went back and they explained that it won't always get it all off. What ? If I didn't have the unlimited, I would be paying $15 for a wash that doesn't WASH the car ? Wow car washes have seriously changed.
I can go every day and go through again if it isn't cleaned but it's a hassle to have to get out and inspect the car every time.

So, just wanted you all to know this in case you wanted to know. Not sure where Scrubadub is outside of New England.

Oh, and the car wash mode worked fine. Turn on, open door with foot on brake, put in neutral and close door. easy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honestly, nothing really beats a hand wash. Get a hose, a brush/sponge, and a bucket, and give you car some gentle love.

That said, you're right about commercial carwashes having issues. The ones with scrubbers can put lots of micro-scratches on your paint, and the pure water jet ones won't get everything off.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I liken these touchless car washes as merely a maintenance wash. If you have an unlimited one, I'd go maybe Monday, Wed, then Fri to keep the crud off.

When I was zealous with my Kinetic Blue 2017 Volt, I went through these washes almost twice a week and it kept the car looking great. Pretty much every time a bird poops, I went to the touchless car wash.

Once you let dirt sit for more then 2 weeks, you'll need to hand wash at one of those DIY bays with the pressure wand and your own wash mitts.

Reactions: raitchison

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I also used a spray-on-rinse-off paint sealant called Hydro2 on my old Volt:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Hydro2-Touchless-Silica-Sealant-100/dp/B00FQMYWMO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512706595&sr=1-5&keywords=hydro2[/ame]

I found it helped a little with bird poop but allowed for touchless washes to clean the Volt much more thoroughly since Hydro2 is like longer-lasting Rain-X. Be careful to follow directions and apply quickly in shade, rinse with lots of water immediately. I was too slow on my first application and left a "stain" on the rear hatch. Luckily, after 4 months it finally disappeared yet water still beaded on my old Volt up until the day I traded it in (5 months with Hydro2 on it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.