Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:
I'm going to replace my original tires with a set of Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus. What sealant would you recommend?
Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
It took me awhile to assemble my full spare kit; Cruze rim from Ebay, S10 scissor jack from Craigslist, etc.
So in the mean time I got a plug kit & lug nut wrench from Amazon, portable compressor from Harbor Freight, etc.

It really depends on what you're comfortable with and how much time you have. Do you have time to wait for tow truck for 45 minutes? Are you okay lifting a full spare to do a swap? Have you ever used a tire plug kit before? Etc, etc.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've gone without a spare for 20 years.(Yes, they made cars that long ago without spares!). I carry a tire plug kit and a small 12V air compressor. I've had to use it once or twice and it works well. Sealant tends to make a big mess inside the wheel and is difficult to clean up, so I don't use sealant.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Hi Guys:
I'm going to replace my original tires with a set of Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus. What sealant would you recommend?
Cheers,
Jim
Tire shop guys are usually going to say not to do that.
They don't like to work on tires that have the gop inside.
That said, they generally get to see the cases where the sealant didn't work and the owner had to come in for a professional repair or tire replacement.
I imagine they don't get to see the many occasions when the sealer worked perfectly and the owner never came in so they may have an unbalanced view.

My personal suggestion is instead of proactively putting sealant in there get one or two cans of the fix-a-flat stuff, and use it if you get a flat... Not before.

Alex

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
475 Posts
I've gone without a spare for 20 years.(Yes, they made cars that long ago without spares!). I carry a tire plug kit and a small 12V air compressor. I've had to use it once or twice and it works well. Sealant tends to make a big mess inside the wheel and is difficult to clean up, so I don't use sealant.
Do you also carry a jack with you, or are you able to use the tire plug kit without removing the tire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's called " unsprung weight " ... you want it to be as low as possible , that's the reasoning behind alloy wheels .... mostly w/EVs' range is important , so use the tire-slime and add a lb. to each wheel ... range will suffer .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you also carry a jack with you, or are you able to use the tire plug kit without removing the tire?
It's possible to plug w/ the wheel in place. But I wouldn't recommend it. Pulling the nail/wire/etc. - air will start escaping.
My plug kit also instructs to use the reaming tool; to clean the puncture and separate the cords - making plug insertion
easier. if enough air escapes; tire will flatten completely - crushing the sidewall.

If you don't want to remove the wheel; I'd advice to at least jack it up. Don't forget to use wheel chocks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's kind of ironic: I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles, with many different vehicles, and cannot remember the last time I had to change a tire while away from home. (not counting my travel trailer). That is, until I got a Bolt. Got a flat on my '17 that was bad enough to require a new tire. Bought a spare tire kit off eBay, so I was all set for the next time. Which was a month ago, when a "step" in the pavement ruined TWO tires, so I still needed a tow.

I now have a plug kit, one that was recommended by someone here, but will probably not carry it. After all, I have a spare tire!
  • :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tire plug kit, pair of pliers, and a tiny 12V compressor. Make sure you know how to use a tire plug before needing to do it on the side of the road though, they can be pretty difficult to get in. Only time I've had a puncture that was too significant to fix, there was 6 inches of snow on the ground and more coming. I waited for the tow.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
195 Posts
Same here with my Corvettes as i always went with non runflats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone. I believe I will carry a snow tire as a spare in the summer and a summer tire as a spare in the winter. As other have mentioned, full size tire fits fine under the false floor. I have a jack from my dead subaru (need to make sure it will work on the Bolt). Just need to get a lug wrench and maybe some chocks.
I might also carry a plug kit. Haven't plugged a tire since working in a gas station as a high school kid in the 70s but I reckon I could still do it. Probably a quick youtube refresher and I'd be good to go.
Cheers,
Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts