Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove the Bolt last weekend and loved nearly everything about it. Except the seats. For a $40,000 car that's a deal breaker for us. We want it! We want the seats to be comfortable! I see on the forum that others have complained about them. Does anyone have any idea if these will change next year?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I have to disagree. Considering how GM is still working on ramping up production on the 2017 and the 2018 will be coming in 3-6 mo. I doubt they're going to make any changes for 2018. It's a relatively low volume car that isn't making them any money, they're selling enough to get all the CARB credits they need, and clearly they're not trying to sell the car in any volume greater than what the keeners (like myself) and word of mouth will support. (Lack of marketing, lack of sales support at most dealerships, lack of allocations in markets that want it) Frankly I don't see any reason for them to spend money on making the car attractive to more potential buyers when there are many opportunities for them to unload more cars if they wanted now.

Don't get me wrong, I feel exactly as you do and almost didn't take delivery of the car I ordered, but the combination of timing and incentives etc. made me pull the trigger despite the comfort issue. Now I love the car but hate the seats, so I'm working to rectify that. It's a real shame that they couldn't just fit some existing seats from another small car. I can deal with average seats, but the narrow creaky plastic seats they fitted... way to fix something that wasn't broken.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As someone who did NOT take delivery of the Bolt due almost completely to the seats, I am sympathetic. However, I recently had a Fiat 500X subcompact SUV (literally a Jeep Renegade, but with styling) as a loaner car for a week, and its seats were no picnic either: narrower than I'd like, and bolsters behind instead of around my torso, which are two of my three complaints about the Bolt seats. So some of it may just be the nature of a subcompact car: the Bolt is narrow, about the width of a Honda Fit, so you can't expect the thrones from a wider car like a Honda Accord. That does not, however, excuse GM for the third and worst offense: the seat bottom with too little padding and too prominent a steel side member. Ouch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:I can honestly say, with a three Bolt experience, my only issue is with the drivers seat. Some days it bothers me, but not always. Regardless, with all the other positives, no way would I pass on the Bolt for that single issue.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
One basic characteristic of a "Forum" (or "bulletin board", or "comment section") is that participants are much more likely to post complaints than compliments (nature of the beast). So Forum opinions may be slightly skewed. It "may" be that the Premier has just enough of a different seat to be comfortable to more people. I, FWIW, find my Premier seat comfortable and have sat there for over 200 miles on 6-8 occasions. Of course it is a narrow seat and I do have to jiggle once in awhile. It's narrowness also means you need to pay more attention to seat, steering wheel, and mirror positions. The RV (or outside) mirror being just a little off-kilter means you unknowingly sit just a little differently and induce that muscle soreness.

I also agree with jostafew that getting CARB credits is GM's primary motivation (although, thankfully, not the GM engineers who have hit a home run with the Bolt).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I really don't think it was that uncomfortable but obviously differently sized people will feel differently. But considering that automotive publication just picked up the forum and posted an article about the dashboard.. maybe they'll find the seat issues enough to write something about that as well and send over some questions to GM. Doubt it'll be for 18 but maybe 19?

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems very individual as to who it affects and who it doesn't. I had read about the seat concerns, and was really worried I'd hate it after a test drive. But, even though I'm a big guy (6'2" and around 250lbs) I was fine on the test drive, and so far after a few hours more of driving on my first day as a new owner still happy with them. Yes I can feel that the seat is on the narrow side, but I still feel relatively comfortable in them. My other car is an E300 and that has amazing seats. The Bolt's aren't near that in quality, but more than acceptable for me.

I'm not saying that to call into question or invalidate anyone saying they have an issue, just that it seems to be varying from person to person and/or perhaps between one individual Bolt and another. (inconsistent manufacturing / parts supply?). I hope anyone w/these issues can find a solution or way to resolve it because it's a fantastic car!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The latest Motor Trend indicates minimal changes for the 2018 year, perhaps extra color choices and some additions/subtractions to the option lists.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't noticed GM being quick to make changes like this, often they are put to the back burner so what we might see as a result is it being common to get a seat cushion. Memory foam is probably the best standard issue cushion to suggest to anyone here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sat in my friend's brand new Tesla the other day. I have to say, I was not at all impressed with those seats. To me, after 700 miles, my cloth Bolt seats are neither better nor worse than the Tesla seats. It's only my expectations that differ. I figured the Tesla seats would be more like the comfy, leather seats in my weekend car (GMC Yukon). Not so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your replies. We thought about it over the week and with all the info we have decided to go for it despite the seats. We brought home a Cajun red Bolt today!! It's sooo smooth and powerful! This forum has been a lot of help in our decision. Thank you all for all your posts.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. We thought about it over the week and with all the info we have decided to go for it despite the seats. We brought home a Cajun red Bolt today!! It's sooo smooth and powerful! This forum has been a lot of help in our decision. Thank you all for all your posts.
Congrats! And we all know the red ones are way faster. LectricBill
X3 - The fun-to-drive factor is what sold this long-time ICE car guy.

jack vines

·
Registered
25 Posts
We drove the Bolt last weekend and loved nearly everything about it. Except the seats. For a $40,000 car that's a deal breaker for us. We want it! We want the seats to be comfortable! I see on the forum that others have complained about them. Does anyone have any idea if these will change next year?

Thanks!
The 'hard chine' to the seat edges quickly breaks in. I hardly notice it anymore and I am not a small person. And it's not really the standard 40K car, you are paying for new tech, not a fancy interior. I've been gas/oil free for over three years....it's a life changer.

And lease, don't buy, the tech is moving too fast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've now sat in three Bolts and driven the third one. My husband was fine with all three, and the only one I had a seat issue with was the last. The notion of different seats' fabric being tensioned differently wouldn't surprise me. Just picked up a gel+memory foam seat cushion to try on the next one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts