Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my new front seat covers from Wet Okole. They look good and fit well, but it is a bit of a struggle to get them on—took me close to 3 hours.

In order to get covers on the seat backs it is necessary to remove the headrests. Thanks to EldRick, in a post elsewhere on the Forum, I was able to remove them fairly easily.

For removal of headrests click on the following link and proceed to post 7 by EldRick: www.chevybolt.org/forum/226-interior/8906-remove-headrests.html

With headrests off, covers slip over back and fasten at bottom with Velcro. There is a cutout portion on each side to allow the air bags to inflate properly.

Sitting areas (seat bottoms?) are more difficult. I didn’t have the proper tool to loosen the plastic on the outside edges of the seats, so I had to stuff the edges of covers between seats and plastic using a piece of smooth wood, sort of like a tongue depressor. Fastening the covers in place was the most difficult part. Since it’s tough to get two hands and two eyes under the seats at the same time I did a lot by feel. I found I had to shift back and forth from front door to rear door to fish the fastening straps into place (there are 2 from front to back and 1 going across from right to left). It took several tries to avoid pinching various wires between straps and seat. There is a small electronic unit of some sort under the right side of the passenger seat, directly in the path of one strap. Tightening the strap across the unit seemed like a bad idea, so I had to twist it sideways around the unit and rested it against the unit’s metal fastening bracket.

Unfortunately the headrest covers did not fit. They were very tight; the stitching broke on one as I attempted to slide it down over the rest. Once on (more or less) the hole for the release button was way off. Wet Okole asked me to take pictures of the headrest for them, and they will send another pair.

The covers look and feel very nice (they come with a cover for the center arm rest too). They are padded, which helps mitigate the discomfort of Chevy’s poor seat design. In addition, I left in place the wedge of foam I had cut to make the driver’s seat more bearable and installed the new cover over it. The combination makes the seat much less uncomfortable (although probably negates the effect of the seat heater). Now if WO can refine their headrest design these will make fine covers for all who want to spring for the $259 price.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Would you mind posting the link or the instructions on how to remove the front headrests?

I needed to put a 6' piece of shelving material in my Bolt last weekend, it would have been much easier if I was able to remove the passenger side front seat headrest.

thanks...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I installed mine a couple of days ago. The fit around the seat airbags wasn't so great but
I feel much better about going kayaking with my GF having these covers protecting my
light gray seats.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried uploading pictures a couple of times but it didn't work. Perhaps I'm too new to use that function. Anyway, black outside panels are standard at Wet Okole; customer gets to choose color of middle panels. I chose light gray as it was in keeping with the rest of the car's interior. If someone didn't know any better they likely couldn't tell these were not original to the car. Replacement headrest covers have not arrived yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does the extra material/padding from your Wet Okole covers help with the plastic on the side digging into your outer thigh? Luckily for me I do not feel the plastic until I am getting out of the car. A seat cushion (or seat cover?) should take care of this...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the extra material/padding from your Wet Okole covers help with the plastic on the side digging into your outer thigh?
I can't say for sure since I haven't experienced this problem. But I think it unlikely that the covers will help since they fit down between the seat and plastic, leaving plastic exposed as before.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Does Wet Okole allow customization such as added padding in the center, bottom cushion? I can see that as being an aftermarket mod to make the seats bearable for some users. In my case, only the center-bottom cushion was the problem which was solved with some padding.

Would be a very nice fix if they could add extra padding in specific sections of the seat cushion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got my replacement headrest covers (see above). The new ones fit nicely with one exception: after being told that they would come with no hole for the adjustment button, the hole which doesn't line up is there again. I wish they would NOT have bothered to punch the hole as it is not really necessary to the button's accessibility and operation. This is minor to me however, and I'm letting it go. Just nice to have the front seats and headrests completely covered, protected, and looking good now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you very much for your write up and the pictures. I plan to order a set for my Bolt as well. Is there anything you would have done differently now that you have had yours for a few years?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thank you very much for your write up and the pictures. I plan to order a set for my Bolt as well. Is there anything you would have done differently now that you have had yours for a few years?
I have Wet Okole seat covers too. Do not get the gray seat panel as they get filthy fast. I asked them to make me a black seat with gray sides and they refused. The stripped one shown above is a good compromise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts