Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments. Which tire inflator is recommended? Chevrolet offers one for $95 and amazon has a Kensun for $69.
I haven't found where is the electrical 12V DC outlet for the tire inflator inside the Bolt Premier 2020.
I do appreciate your comments.;)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier - Kinetic Blue Metallic
5 Posts
The 12V Air Compressor is underneath the the Hatch/Trunk area where a spare tire is typically located. The 12V DC outlet for it is the 12V DC outlet below the center console (it has a black cover/flap).

The Bolt comes with self sealing tires in case of puncture. I believe there may be a sealant canister in the same area as the inflator. See page 280 of your user manual.

Then again, I have a Canadian model which tend to have slightly different standard equipment.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
We've driven our Bolt for three-and-a-half years without a spare or an air compressor. Neither the OEM Michelins or the winter Nokians have ever had a flat.

(Wait, forget that. Don't want to jinx a good run.)

jack vines

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
318 Posts
I REALLY do not recommend buying the $10 inflator at harbor freight. We're going back 12 years mind you, but I bought 3 of those and they all broke within a year. I walked in the store with all three hanging from my hand by the cord, and fortunately the manager had sympathy and allowed me to put them towards their $35 unit at the time (seems like this is now not available). I still have that compressor and it still works great.

You could price a tire inflator kit with a GM parts department (if you bought your Bolt from a dealership, you might even have points that could be used towards the purchase). I've also seen them in ebay. I've used the oem compressor a fair amount, and aside from the noise, it seems to work well. The best part is that there is a specific cutout for it in your trunk.

If you're mechanically inclined, a tire repair kit is also a good thing to keep in hand (Tubeless Tire Repair Kit, 9 Pc.). If not, a AAA Membership is recommended.

I'd recommend the harborfreight compressor I have, but as mentioned, it isn't presently available. There is a more expensive HF option that PLP linked, and there is that obligatory 20% off coupon, but I understand that still may not be appealing. Here's a link to a video that compares some other units to that good old harbor freight compressor, which you may find useful (Project Farm is one of the best content creators on YT, IMO)

Reactions: redpoint5 and PLP

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the GM compressor kit for the Bolt 'cause there was a place for storing it. My Spark EV had it in the back, already. I also keep a mushroom tire plugger kit in the back of each car. I've been using them for years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any comments. Which tire inflator is recommended? Chevrolet offers one for $95 and amazon has a Kensun for $69.
I haven't found where is the electrical 12V DC outlet for the tire inflator inside the Bolt Premier 2020.
I do appreciate your comments.;)
The Bolt's stock tires are low volume, so any bike pump will also work. I use mine to keep my tire pressure where I want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts