Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We decided to have a weekend vacation at Lake of the Ozarks back in June. There is no DCFC on the preferred route to get there from Kansas City and there is basically no public charging at Osage Beach, MO. As with my Joplin trip, the mileage is right around 160 miles one way. There is an EA charger on I-70 in Booneville straight north of where we were staying at the lake. So I decided to drive there and top off since going direct to Osage Beach would leave me low on charge with no easy way to refill.

I fully charged overnight for the trip. The drive to Booneville was going to be about 111 miles at highway speeds of 70mph. I was getting some good efficiency on that drive. I drove 70mph the entire way and came in at 4 miles/kWh for that leg. I got there with 56% and charged up to 80%.

Osage Beach is about 73 miles south of Booneville and I got a little better efficiency on that leg because most of the speed limits were 55 and 60mph getting my average to 4.1 miles/kWh.

Because I had no charging options in Osage Beach I had planned to travel to Lebanon, MO about 30 miles south of Osage Beach at I-44 where there was an EA charger at a convenience store. After driving around the lake we went on south to Lebanon. At that station I charged from 23% to 97%. I realize going above 80% on an EA station is a waste of money, but I wanted the near full charge to make sure we had enough to continue traveling around the lake for the rest of the weekend and have enough to make it back to Booneville.

On the return trip I again stopped at the Booneville EA chargers and charged from 41% to 70% and then headed home. Got a little worse efficiency on the drive back, but had enough charge to get back with 25% of charge left.

On this trip we drove a total of 520 miles and the overall average efficiency came in at 4.0 miles per kWh.

Of note, there are no chargers in the lake area. Plugshare indicated two L2 chargers. One was at a person's house on the other side of the lake which isn't really public but the app indicated you could use it (external mount). The other was in at an entertainment district at a private business. This second option is actually a charger installed in a gated employee parking lot. Technically there is no public access, but they put them near the gate so that if you pull your car up onto the sidewalk you can get the cord to reach. Some of the pictures on Plugshare looked a bit ridiculous on getting your car maneuvered into position. They state the business has no problems with you doing this, but there is a sign on the gate saying no parking because it is the only in/out for employees to come and go. So I didn't bother with that having my Lebanon stop planned. But, if you are driving a Tesla there are a bank of superchargers at a grocery store in Osage Beach. Frustratingly the hotel we stayed at was two blocks from those Superchargers I couldn't use.

For the two EA stations, the Booneville station is in a Walmart parking lot. Unfortunately where it is located there isn't much around, including almost no food options. The Lebanon location is in a Casey's convenience store parking lot. Unfortunately for this one as well, there are no restaurants in easy walking distance of this location either. So the Casey's store is about it. Both locations appeared fully functional though and I had no problems connecting, charging, and staying connected during each charging session.

This trip was definitely more "adventurous" for us since there were no good non-Tesla charging options at our destination. I'd probably do this trip again in the Bolt.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I really think we, as a community, need to start voicing our concerns about L2 AC at hotel locations. We're staying there, patronizing the business, and the cost for L2 AC is so low from the hotel's perspective that it should be a no-brainer. Did you speak to the manager about it by chance? I have a feeling these hotels don't realize that for a one-time expense of a couple thousand dollars, they can easily increase the traffic to their hotel by several dozen guests a year.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I really think we, as a community, need to start voicing our concerns about L2 AC at hotel locations. ... the cost for L2 AC is so low from the hotel's perspective that it should be a no-brainer. I have a feeling these hotels don't realize that for a one-time expense of a couple thousand dollars, they can easily increase the traffic to their hotel by several dozen guests a year.
I agree completely. I have many times spoken to the manager about the marketing advantage of installing AC Level 2 (overnight) EVSE. In WV, all of our Hampton Inns did so and I refer all visiting friends (even those with ICE cars) to patronize them. Remember when the pool, exercise room, and the free breakfast were drawing cards? Pretty soon (now?), it will be the free charging!! The "RoI" (Return on Investment) is less than one year. A pretty sweet business deal!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really think we, as a community, need to start voicing our concerns about L2 AC at hotel locations. We're staying there, patronizing the business, and the cost for L2 AC is so low from the hotel's perspective that it should be a no-brainer. Did you speak to the manager about it by chance? I have a feeling these hotels don't realize that for a one-time expense of a couple thousand dollars, they can easily increase the traffic to their hotel by several dozen guests a year.
I did not talk to the hotel owners about it, but in retrospect probably should have.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lots of hotels have hidden 120V outlets that are fit for purpose for slooooow charging. Not saying yours did, but I travel for business and it seems certain chains are more likely than others and I enter them on plugshare when I find them. overnight = enough to dawdle around a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts