Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
I've gone back and forth on how useful "L" is for hypermiling. I actually wish the accelerator pedal had two detents around the "neutral zone", one when you are are requesting zero energy for propulsion, and the only energy being consumed was going to all of the "fixed" costs of computers, battery heaters and cabin heat/A/C, the other detent would be slightly below that for the position where you are using zero energy from the battery, and the regen is being used to power the "fixed" devices.

Ultimately, you want to minimize regen, when you can, since you are then taking a haircut on conversion into the battery and back out again. I find it very difficult to seek those two zero points when I am in "L". There are a lot of times in highway driving, (at least between Boston and Albany on the turnpike) where I literally have put the car in neutral and let it coast downhill. but thats a pain in the butt, and a lot of folks frown on that as "unsafe", though they usually can't come up with a rational for their position that makes much sense (just as Redpoint5 has not really read and understood my comment before again making a blanket statement which does not support his argument that braking in the middle of the apex is always bad.)
If you are looking for Hypermiling then you have the wrong car. You get regen on , Obviously, the L and even some on the D. So don't use L at all and buy an EV that doesn't have any regen when off the power pedal.

Ultimately, you want to minimize regen, when you can, since you are then taking a haircut on conversion into the battery and back out again. I find it very difficult to seek those two zero points when I am in "L".
You know, being off by a bit is going to be far less of a hit on efficiency than all of the other variables like temperature, grade, driving style, traffic, etc. I wouldn't let this worry you as a reason not to use "L".

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.