Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or noticed this?

I was lining the armrest top tray with felt and decided to do the bottom compartment as well. GM has graciously given us a super thin rubber type piece at the very bottom of the compartment. While lining the felt, I decided to take the thing rubber piece out and low and behold. This little indentation that's shaped exactly like our key fob.

Any ideas on why it's there? I know the Bolt will honk at you if you close all the doors and it senses a key inside the cabin. This took me about a day to figure out after I picked up the Bolt a couple of days ago. The sales guy put the 2nd key fob in the glove with the rest of my paperwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well its not so secret now is it :)

That is an interesting spot. That seems like it would not work so well as the car wont lock or will it with two key. hmmmmm inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That is an interesting spot. That seems like it would not work so well as the car wont lock or will it with two key. hmmmmm inquiring minds want to know.
You're not supposed to leave a key down there!

That spot is only supposed to be used if you need to start the car but the battery in your key fob is dead. There's a special sensor down there that can communicate with the fob's passive transponder chip, which works even when its battery is dead.

And if you're wondering how you'd even get into the car with a dead key fob, then read pages 38-42 of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is worth mentioning also if you have trouble getting the car to recognize the key, myself and others have noticed it, if you lock the car and move away from the vehicle for a period of time (not sure how long) it seems to work again.

But the keyfob spot in the center console and the main battery disconnect under the seats are two items that most people don't figure out unless they read the manual.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had to use it once already.

For some reason the battery in my "everyday use" FOB suddenly went dead while away from home, so I used the physical key to get in and emergency key location to start the Bolt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Our Prius would give a low-key-battery warning. It was quite easy to take that fob apart and insert a new battery. I would imagine the Bolt would do the same -- those batteries do not last forever. Most people have two fobs available, so don't have to resort to the manual sequence.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Unless you're out shopping or at work, etc and the battery dies.

IIRC- the Prius used to display the "low fob battery" warning in Japanese language... :confused:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I’ve had to use the hidden compartment when the car and fob stopped talking to each other. Battery was fine in the fob. I could still hit the buttons on the remote to unlock the doors, but the keyless entry proximity system that used the buttons on the door handle simply stopped working. Well documented issue with the Bolt.

I never once got the low battery warning in either of my Prii. Probably because I would periodically check the batteries every 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Silly question: I presume the FOB battery is not user changeable, right?
It is user changeable. The physical key when ejected can be used to pry the two halves of the FOB apart to reveal the battery. See pages 38-39 in the manual.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wonder what starts with the FOB in the liberty bell...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery is absolutely user replaceable. Instructions in manual (page 39).

I've had my fob become unreadable in certain parking lots, and once I leave, it's fine again. Chevrolet said sometimes there's electrical interference that has caused this in other users! Anyway, good to know how to start your car with the fob in place in case you find yourself in one of those locations even with a good battery. Today, I couldn't turn OFF my car, and had to leave it on and unlocked (with the fob in my purse) when I went into the store. Really weird.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts