Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could purchase longer screws for your cross braces and install these where the cross braces fasten into the roof rails. This would give you between 4 and 8 places to fasten a ratchet strap to without affecting the headliner.

I purchased these to be able to fasten a roof bag without installing crossbars. I hope this helps.
That is VERY much like what I’m looking for. Is there anything special to the screws ? Just have to have heads big enough to cover the small opening of those tie down, yeah ? Do you have photos of your setup you could share ?

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
450 Posts
How would one tie anything down purely using the rails as-is ? I’m trying to avoid buying any additional hardware, because I’ll probably only use it once or twice per year and already have a roofbag that I want to us.
Sorry, I meant the combo of racks on flush rails such as these, or else the racks that are used on “naked” roofs without rails that use towers which hook into the door frames.

Not just rails without racks…

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry, I meant the combo of racks on flush rails such as these, or else the racks that are used on “naked” roofs without rails that use towers which hook into the door frames.

Not just rails without racks…
I had a Yakima bike rack on a Civic years ago, using the door frame things, and it got stolen, so don’t have any interest in doing that again ! (No bikes were on them, fortunately !)

I think the long-screws and tie-down thingies will work well for my very-occasional roofbag usage, but just annoying they they didn’t go with raised rails, as it does give you more flexibility, as another person pointed out.

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
450 Posts
I had a Yakima bike rack on a Civic years ago, using the door frame things, and it got stolen, so don’t have any interest in doing that again ! (No bikes were on them, fortunately !)

I think the long-screws and tie-down thingies will work well for my very-occasional roofbag usage, but just annoying they they didn’t go with raised rails, as it does give you more flexibility, as another person pointed out.
Yeah, I can appreciate that.

I also had the Yakima racks that hooked into the door frame, but I got the locking knobs (extra money). Those things were on solid. I think they were probably at least as secure as racks I’ve had attached to rails. And somebody would have needed some type of saw/etc to get them off…

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I can appreciate that.

I also had the Yakima racks that hooked into the door frame, but I got the locking knobs (extra money). Those things were on solid. I think they were probably at least as secure as racks I’ve had attached to rails. And somebody would have needed some type of saw/etc to get them off…
Mine had locks on them too, LoL. In fairness though, a couple were probably not on as tightly as they should have been. (And my alarm had been acting up so I had been leaving that off.). Stole my bike rack AND my 12V battery, LoL. Lesson learned, for sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is VERY much like what I’m looking for. Is there anything special to the screws ? Just have to have heads big enough to cover the small opening of those tie down, yeah ? Do you have photos of your setup you could share ?
I will be glad to take a picture and post it later today. Yes, I would recommend using stainless steel screws from a local hardware store and putting a little bit of anti-seize compound from an autoparts place on them. I leave my screws in all the time and just install the rings when needed. Using stainless rings and screws eliminates any concern about rusting and the anti-seize ensures you can remove them anytime you would like. I hope this helps and will post another reply with pictures later today.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will be glad to take a picture and post it later today. Yes, I would recommend using stainless steel screws from a local hardware store and putting a little bit of anti-seize compound from an autoparts place on them. I leave my screws in all the time and just install the rings when needed. Using stainless rings and screws eliminates any concern about rusting and the anti-seize ensures you can remove them anytime you would like. I hope this helps and will post another reply with pictures later today.
Here are pictures of my setup (if you call it that). I don't use roof bars so as not to create additional wind resistance. Indeed, I only install the rings when needed for the same reason as well as maintaining a cleaner look. Also, I retract the need for anti-seize as mine don't seem to be corroding at all. I am sorry not to be able to provide the tread pitch. They are metric. I went to the hardware store and they let me take several out to the parking lot to try them. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How would one tie anything down purely using the rails as-is ? I’m trying to avoid buying any additional hardware, because I’ll probably only use it once or twice per year and already have a roofbag that I want to us.
Some roof bags come with flat hooks that grab onto the metal bead that the door gasket attaches to.

I grabbed this image from an Amazon product page:

Hand Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Here are pictures of my setup (if you call it that). I don't use roof bars so as not to create additional wind resistance. Indeed, I only install the rings when needed for the same reason as well as maintaining a cleaner look. Also, I retract the need for anti-seize as mine don't seem to be corroding at all. I am sorry not to be able to provide the tread pitch. They are metric. I went to the hardware store and they let me take several out to the parking lot to try them. Hope this helps.
Hey, I like that! I don't know that I'd ever have a use for it, but I'll keep it in mind!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some roof bags come with flat hooks that grab onto the metal bead that the door gasket attaches to.

I grabbed this image from an Amazon product page:

View attachment 49657
Very interesting, thanks.
I will admit that I’m more intrigued by the suggestion @phuber had, about screwing in retaining loops using the existing screw holes in the rails. Just seems more secure to me, and I’m not crazy about pulling that door gasket down if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That seems to be 100% what I’m looking for. Thanks so much for posting picks - sorry that I didn’t reply sooner.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts