Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Front turn signal bulb on my 2017 Bolt is out. Can't find instructions to replace online. Can you help? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Hi! Front turn signal bulb on my 2017 Bolt is out. Can't find instructions to replace online. Can you help? Thank you!
I suspect the front turn signals are LED. Might not be as straight forward as a bulb replacement.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pretty sure all the turn signals are halogen... unless that's only in the rear. I know you can get replacement LED bulbs.

Mike

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
In some vehicles, turn signal circuit timing depends on a specific amount of current flowing through the blink relay to set the on-off time. The OEM bulb filament acts as the "R" in an R-C timing circuit. Simple LED bulb replacements might not work, as their current is significantly less than an incandescent. , and could make the timing circuit inoperative.

I replaced the rear turn signal bulbs in an older Jeep YJ with LEDs for better performance and more efficiency, only to find a physically large resistor in the bulb assembly, intended to draw more current to keep the blinker relay happy. You can also find blinker relays that have their own internal timing circuits that don't depend on the bulb filament, which might be necessary when pulling trailers with multiple bulbs on the same blinker circuit.

Just make sure that the LED replacement is specifically compatible with the Bolt, to avoid such issues.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Check out magrider's post in the thread upgrading turn signals to LED.
Great find. Guess they're not LED then. Pasted here for @aaftergo
For the front turn signals, to access them I had to turn the front wheel out of the way, and then unscrew the 4 bolts that were holding the wheelwell liner in place. After you remove the bolts you can peel the liner back, which should give you just barely enough room to change out the bulb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts