Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us have experienced, through price, availability, or other issues, the Dealership we purchased our Bolt might be a long distance from home. For follow up care and issues, is it OK to go to a local, closer dealer ?
I had heard in the past, as long as your purchase was farther than 100 miles away from home, you could go to a local dealer nearby without a problem.
Comments welcome, thanks...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Servicing your car at a dealer closer to you should be fine, but do keep in ind that they may provide preferential treatment to those who purchased cars from them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Dealers make more money from their service departments than from the sale of vehicles (one reason many are not thrilled with selling EV's).

They will be glad to take your money (or GM's for warranty work). I've never heard of a dealer refusing to service a vehicle because it was purchased elsewhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
servicing

Dealers make more money from their service departments than from the sale of vehicles (one reason many are not thrilled with selling EV's).

They will be glad to take your money (or GM's for warranty work). I've never heard of a dealer refusing to service a vehicle because it was purchased elsewhere.
Of course one thing to consider is if the dealer has a person qualified to work on the Bolt, and if they have the tools to do so if it involves work on the electrical systems. Back when I had my Volt I was away from home and developed vehicle problems. The dealer in the area I was in didn't want to work on it because they didn't have a Volt qualified tech on staff. I wound up having to drive the Volt all the way home for service.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its interesting, GM allots Bolts in varying amounts to dealers using some unknown factor-my two local dealers received miniscule amount of vehicles, none of which were the color or options I desired. If I tried to order one, they were vague and wanted full MSRP.
Moving out 150-200 miles away, the dealers had many more vehicles and were willing to deal aggressively.
So, purchase elsewhere, and service locally. I’m OK with that...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah, this seems totally normal. Dealers are well aware you shop around so it's nothing personal, you just found a better deal else where. I don't think they'd spite you if you didn't buy your Bolt from them now that you need Bolt service from them. Both provide revenue to the dealership.

Now, if you bought elsewhere and decided to use a different dealer's DCFC station for free with no intent of shopping for a new car, that's different. I would love to get free DCFC but feel guilty enough about it that I'm going to just use a pay station w/DCFC to test out my Bolt's DCFC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts